• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Original Art Auction that wasn't

13 posts in this topic

I'll bet you anything the seller left money on the table by closing the auction early. His descriptions seem to indicate that he might not have known what he had in terms of where the market has gone since he bought it.

Helluva page.

Scott

That page? My guess is that it probably would have fetched a good $6K+ fairly easily. Even with the dodgy economy. Possibly $8k or more.

Eder would have a piece like that on his site at $8k in a heartbeat. I'd guess Albert would as well. Dude should have let it ride, I guarantee it. Wouldn't surprise me to see it pop up at a dealer booth come SDCC. If a fan got it, good for them! Pretty stellar early MD/MJ3 example.

I'll bet you anything the seller left money on the table by closing the auction early. His descriptions seem to indicate that he might not have known what he had in terms of where the market has gone since he bought it.

Helluva page.

Scott

I didn't see it early enough to invoke the 'Williams' and email the guy saying please don't end it early, but if you do let me make you an offer.

I would have been in for 5K and that most likely wouldn't have done it, but would have liked to at least see what it was going to take on the open market. My sense is somewhere around 7K.

Wow. I'm sure there would have been more than a few people willing to go to the mat for that page... ;)

And, to echo other people's sentiment: yes, that would be a $8k+ page easy. Very few splash pages featuring Morpheus like that.

Congrats on whomever snagged that one.

Later.

Am I the only one that isn't thrilled by this page? I understand it has plenty of "checklist" items (Sandman, semi-splash, etc) but it just leaves me cold. Never been a big fan of the Sandman helmet.The one shot where you see Sandman's face it's a-typical and if it wasn't a Sandman page I doubt you'd recognize him. Were I in the market for a Sandman page and willing to spend the $6K-$8K+ people are estimating here I'd keep looking.

Am I the only one that isn't thrilled by this page? I understand it has plenty of "checklist" items (Sandman, semi-splash, etc) but it just leaves me cold. Never been a big fan of the Sandman helmet.The one shot where you see Sandman's face it's a-typical and if it wasn't a Sandman page I doubt you'd recognize him. Were I in the market for a Sandman page and willing to spend the $6K-$8K+ people are estimating here I'd keep looking.

I'm sure you're not that only one not thrilled with the page. I know there's other pages from the series out there that I would much rather spend that kind of money (or more) on. Especially certain pages from issue 4 that lead up to him getting back his helmet, but I digress. :)

It's not a key moment in the series by any means, but I think it is definitely a very solid example of Dringenberg's work, and it's nice to see something like that to surface.

Later.