• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with Heritage lately?

34 posts in this topic

Folks these guys are for real and honest.

doh! Did you read what I posted? They're only honest in the eyes of the law.

To answer yor question.... Yes I can read thank you.

Now my question to you is....

can you think...??????

I would have though Heritage would have learned their lesson about shilling 3 years ago...

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121312&lotNo=14104

Why do you think this auction is shilled?

That was my original post but then I edited it to a simple (shrug)

I have absolutely no idea of the value of this book but all it takes is for a couple of bidders who REALLY want the book to make things happen.

It would be a lot more fun if Heritage was dishonest and bid up $100 comics to make and extra $2. The truth is, the Heritage folks who bid on comics are just bottom feeding, looking for books that go cheaply that can be flipped for a few bucks. Lewis Wayne Gallery posts a number of these every year. The books tend to sit on the site for 2-3 years with no movement, kinda indicating that the market knows the best price and the folks at Heritage are like the rest of us. They think they bought cheap but really just bought at the FMV. If you pay attention, you can catch one of their sales where things are marked down after the owner decides he's waited long enough.

I would have though Heritage would have learned their lesson about shilling 3 years ago...

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121312&lotNo=14104

Why do you think this auction is shilled?

That was my original post but then I edited it to a simple (shrug)

I have absolutely no idea of the value of this book but all it takes is for a couple of bidders who REALLY want the book to make things happen.

That's a book for ebay and a lot of folks who collect won't buy off ebay anymore. Someone might see it as their shot to fill a hole in their run.

It would be a lot more fun if Heritage was dishonest and bid up $100 comics to make and extra $2. The truth is, the Heritage folks who bid on comics are just bottom feeding, looking for books that go cheaply that can be flipped for a few bucks. Lewis Wayne Gallery posts a number of these every year. The books tend to sit on the site for 2-3 years with no movement, kinda indicating that the market knows the best price and the folks at Heritage are like the rest of us. They think they bought cheap but really just bought at the FMV. If you pay attention, you can catch one of their sales where things are marked down after the owner decides he's waited long enough.

Makes sense.

What's dishonest about allowing employees to bid and stating so publicly? As long as their bidding with the intention of winning the item, where's the harm?

Because you can't judge intent. The other side of the argument would be to label the employees as informal agents of the auction who are encouraged to bid and bid often in order to raise prices.

How does one judge which is reality? This is were the avoidance of conflict of interest enters the argument.

What's dishonest about allowing employees to bid and stating so publicly? As long as their bidding with the intention of winning the item, where's the harm?

Because you can't judge intent. The other side of the argument would be to label the employees as informal agents of the auction who are encouraged to bid and bid often in order to raise prices.

How does one judge which is reality? This is were the avoidance of conflict of interest enters the argument.

I agree that it creates the appearance of a conflict of interest, but as you said, we can't judge intent. We can no more presume that they're being dishonest than honest. It swings both ways.

doh! I expect no less from you.

You didn't answer the question.

Go read that thread from '04 if you need to waste some time.

Hiya shill!

Sometimes I think Heritage shills but then you can find some sweet deals there. I think the same of all auctioneers. Comiclink, Comic Connect. As long as the bidders are anonymous, you'll never know. Also, I see nothing wrong with employees bidding on something that they hope to win in good faith. There's the appearance of improperiety. But unless you can produce some record of a punishment/incentive program encouraging employees to bid, there's nothing criminal.

But Heritage made up for the shills with a free ospg download right?