• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with Heritage lately?

34 posts in this topic

I would have though Heritage would have learned their lesson about shilling 3 years ago...

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121312&lotNo=14104

Huh? Heritage is legally allowed to shill bid their auctions (Google "N.P. Gresham"), and they tell you that in their Terms of Service. Plus there's also the "Heritage Bump", but I think that's usually reserve auctions.

I would have though Heritage would have learned their lesson about shilling 3 years ago...

Huh? Heritage is legally allowed to shill bid their auctions (Google "N.P. Gresham"), and they tell you that in their Terms of Service. Plus there's also the "Heritage Bump", but I think that's usually reserve auctions.

No mess? I thought there was a big lawsuit in 09 about them shilling?

Yeah, there was some kind of suit brought against Heritage by a disgruntled employee, but all it did was make more people aware that Heritage is legally allowed to bid on their own auctions.

Yeah, there was some kind of suit brought against Heritage by a disgruntled employee, but all it did was make more people aware that Heritage is legally allowed to bid on their own auctions.

Crazy, I will be sure not to use them.

Heritage is legally allowed to shill bid their auctions, and they tell you that in their Terms of Service.

:o

Jim Halperin himself told us about it on these boards in '04:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=34395&Number=625815#Post625815

"4) Yes, we do allow employees to bid in our sales, except in very rare instances where the consignor (foolishly) requests otherwise. Our job is to create an honest playing field, not to hold down the prices for the benefit of bidders who prefer less competition. No employee at Heritage has any advantage over any other bidder, and employees are actually at a disadvantage in our comics sales because we don't allow them to bid live. Granted, like all local bidders they don't have to pay shipping if they pick up their lots in person, but they do pay sales tax unless they have a resale number, and they pay the exact same Buyer's Premium as everyone else. As far as I know, there are no major auctioneers who don't allow employees to bid."

Folks these guys are for real and honest.

doh! Did you read what I posted? They're only honest in the eyes of the law.

What's dishonest about allowing employees to bid and stating so publicly? As long as their bidding with the intention of winning the item, where's the harm?

What's dishonest about allowing employees to bid and stating so publicly? As long as their bidding with the intention of winning the item, where's the harm?

doh! I expect no less from you.

You didn't answer the question.

Go read that thread from '04 if you need to waste some time.

Go read that thread from '04 if you need to waste some time.

No, I posed a question to you. Why would you say they're only honest in the eyes of the law, but not be willing to explain yourself?

I am an art guy, not a comic guy, so maybe you all know what to look for here but why is this auction singled out here? How can you tell it is heritage bidding, or their employees? I know all about chandelier bids, and those expressing surprise should read rules before bidding because there are a lot of seemingly shady practices. guaranteed bids are used in the fine art world, and as far as I can tell heritage does not use those (I was thinking about becoming a guarantee-er as it seems a wicked but legal practice.)

I also think that the transparency of the situation poses no problems for me. Keep it in your price range and the rest is fairly irrelevant, despite any "possible scenarios" others may present. (as he prepares to eat those words)