• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new reader of the New 52

16 posts in this topic

Ok. Over the past week or so I have been going back and reading the new 52 books and trying to make an honest go of it.

When the new 52 first launched i purposely avoided most of it as i just didnt feel like trying to comprehend another reboot and have avoided it until now.

I started out by reading the new Action Comics......from what i can understand this is basically re-hashing the origin of Superman so far.

Ok.....slightly heretical but i can go with it as for the most part it was ok.

I then went and read all of Green Lantern and am now reading GL New Guardians

I guess my biggest question is......WHAT IS GOING ON?!?

I cant figure out what is in continuity and what isnt.

Are we going back to the multiverse debacle and some things are in one dimension and some are in another?

I am just trying to figure out how, if at all, everything connects. I know that the writers are trying to explain it with the "New 52" news cast thingies at the end of some of the issues, but it still confusing as all get out.

For example.......

Green Lantern - Are the GL books in the new 52 continuity or not? They reference things that have happened over the last several years, such as the Blackest Night, and even previous to that.

But then other characters seem to be essentially starting over with a reboot.

DId DC ever publish anything that explained their plans for this?

After I finish New Guardians I will probably read I, Vampire, followed by either Superman or Batman, but I just dont know now

The Batman titles are good. I dropped Action and Superman. The Shazam back-up in Justice League is outstanding but too short (a back-up, of course). The new Justice League of America is good also.

So to answer your question about historic stuff - the reboots aren't absolute. There are certain parts of old continuity which have been retained (especially in Batman). So, you just need to pay attention to what they're bringing in. Some of the interesting stuff is when they make slight references to old material to let you know that's a part of the continuity still (some of it is pretty subtle at first)

I also recommend the Bat titles. Both Batman and Batgirl have been pretty good I thought. Also I have enjoyed Justice League for the most part. I get Superman cause I've always been a fan, but overall it's a pretty disappointing title right now.

Good to see a New 52 thread without hate thrown at it and some genuine discussion about the interesting things in it. I am super thankful for the New 52 because it got me back into comics. With 800 something issues of everything I never bothered to check it out cuz I didn't know whe to start until the New 52 came out it gave me a great starting point and now I've branched off into the Image stuff and its been great. Sales are up because of the 52 across the board from the last 2 years too so that's always good. Just my 2 cents..

Batman is definitely solid each month and The Flash has been a fun read. Not to mention, both have excellent artwork with Capullo on Batman and Manapul on The Flash. Not sure why there's so much hate for the New 52, I've been enjoying the books that I pick up. Just read Batman and Robin Annual yesterday and it was fantastic.

I think the question by OP was not books to read in the New 52 but what was the idea behind New 52 as far as the DC Universe's continuity.

I just listened to Kevin Smith's interview of Scott Snyder on his Fatman on Batman podcast. ( Great interview by the way ) According to Scott with the New 52 reboot each character group editor was in charge of deciding what continuity would change or stay the same. ( like Superman's marriage to Lois disappearing) The Batman group decided that all of Batman's history would stay the same.

So (and I have not read much of the 52 except Batman) the answer to:

Each character is different. (I think :) )

Ok. Over the past week or so I have been going back and reading the new 52 books and trying to make an honest go of it.

When the new 52 first launched i purposely avoided most of it as i just didnt feel like trying to comprehend another reboot and have avoided it until now.

I started out by reading the new Action Comics......from what i can understand this is basically re-hashing the origin of Superman so far.

Are we going back to the multiverse debacle and some things are in one dimension and some are in another?

I am just trying to figure out how, if at all, everything connects. I know that the writers are trying to explain it with the "New 52" news cast thingies at the end of some of the issues, but it still confusing as all get out.

For example.......

Green Lantern - Are the GL books in the new 52 continuity or not? They reference things that have happened over the last several years, such as the Blackest Night, and even previous to that.

After I finish New Guardians I will probably read I, Vampire, followed by either Superman or Batman, but I just dont know now

DC's biggest fail was attempting to keep any of the old continuity around. They should have just rebooted Batman and Green Lantern along with the other books. And, this is just me, they should have done the entire universe reboot slowly. In other words, put out 5 new titles in this new universe, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the Flash. Keep your other titles going so the writers can wrap them up properly. Slowly discontinue old universe titles and replace them with new universe titles over the course of 1-2 years. End the old universe with a big, end of the world storyline to keep the reader's interested even while these readers are investing in the new universe.

I applaud them for having the guts to do what they did. Unfortunately, just like Crisis on Infinite Earths, without the tight control on the output, these new titles are already showing signs of being disjointed and ... wrong. Wonder Woman is a good example. I know the title is well received, but is this really the introduction you want to characters like the New Gods in the new 52? These New God characters are pretty much unusable in the new 52 without some changes, although they work within the confines of the Wonder Woman title.

For example.......

DC's biggest fail was attempting to keep any of the old continuity around. They should have just rebooted Batman and Green Lantern along with the other books. And, this is just me, they should have done the entire universe reboot slowly. In other words, put out 5 new titles in this new universe, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the Flash. Keep your other titles going so the writers can wrap them up properly. Slowly discontinue old universe titles and replace them with new universe titles over the course of 1-2 years. End the old universe with a big, end of the world storyline to keep the reader's interested even while these readers are investing in the new universe.

I applaud them for having the guts to do what they did. Unfortunately, just like Crisis on Infinite Earths, without the tight control on the output, these new titles are already showing signs of being disjointed and ... wrong. Wonder Woman is a good example. I know the title is well received, but is this really the introduction you want to characters like the New Gods in the new 52? These New God characters are pretty much unusable in the new 52 without some changes, although they work within the confines of the Wonder Woman title.

I can agree with that.

When I first heard about New 52, I thought it was going to completely redo everything, and start with the beginning ("Oh...Nice to meet you Lois Lane. It's my first day at the Daily Planet" type of stuff)

I recently got done reading GL and GLC, and half of the new guardians before hating everyone outside of Kyle. I think with Green Lantern, Geoff Johns was like "I've already been doing GL for 100+ issues, why the heck would I want to start over?" Just my opinion.

I think Green Lantern was one of the biggest offenders for not really rebooting during a reboot. (plus all the other lantern books)

I didn't read it at all before the reboot and tried to pick it up with the reboot but couldn't get the back story.

Asked a mate who advised me that there were heaps of references to historical stuff that would require some background knowledge.

I haven't had the same experience with any of the other New 52 books that I read and would strongly recommend many of them. But not GL or any other colour lantern for that matter.