• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE DOUBLE COVERS
22 22

2,983 posts in this topic

Well since someone bumped this thread I'll add a new one I recently found.

Dell Tarzan #26 from 1951. Not a great picture but the best I can do without scanning.

ebay.jpg

probably soon to be owned by gijoed!!!! :wishluck:

Hey, Double-Cover guys:

What SA Marvel Keys are known to have double covers? Specifically, AF 15, Spidey 1, FF 1, X-Men 1, Avengers 1, and Hulk 1?

If this has already been discussed I apologize and would appreciate a link.

Thanks!

--Gary

Hey, Double-Cover guys:

What SA Marvel Keys are known to have double covers? Specifically, AF 15, Spidey 1, FF 1, X-Men 1, Avengers 1, and Hulk 1?

If this has already been discussed I apologize and would appreciate a link.

Thanks!

--Gary

:hi:Hi; Gary well I have seen a Amazing Fantasty #15 CGC graded 5.5 on ebay before with a Double Cover and besides the X-Men #1 and Avengers #4 that have already been mentioned I have seen an Avengers #2, I have a ASM #14 & 15 with Double Covers and I seen a ASM #6 & #16 :cloud9: I am sure their are lots more but that is all I can think of right now. Oh yea I seen a Fantastic Four #9 not long ago. (thumbs u

:gossip:

That was the one I just sold on eBay. Are you cc_buffalo?

I'm planning to sell some more double covers in a couple of weeks to raise more cash for a down payment on my first house.

Yep, that's me. Thanks for the book :applause:

I have seen a Amazing Fantasty #15 CGC graded 5.5 on ebay before with a Double Cover

Do you know who owns this now? That should be a really sweet double cover. I'd like to know what it looks like.

:( No have no ideal wish I did, it was back before I really started collecting Double Cover comics it came up for sale on ebay probably 6 years ago and I saved & watched the auction because I was curious as to what it would sale for, well it sold for 4k and just a few weeks later it was back up on ebay for sale again this time though it was cracked out of it's CGC case as the buyer either took it out and returned it or he wanted the owner to take it out for better pictures and then did not buy it, my memory is not all that great on how it went down. I pretty sure it sold the second time for 3 to 3.5k but I have no info now, as my computer hard drive got fried by a power serge not long after that and I lost the pictures I had of it and the auction info I really wish I had printed them off. I would have loved to have had that book but I really could not afford it back then and I sure can't now but it would be cool to know who has it and I can only hope someone did not do to it what greggy said happened to that X-Men #1 that sucks. :(

:cool:Their was another Cool Silver Age Double Cover up a few years back that I almost bought it was a Strange Tales #97 the one with Aunt May and Uncle Ben but I let that one get away too. :(

:gossip:

That was the one I just sold on eBay. Are you cc_buffalo?

I'm planning to sell some more double covers in a couple of weeks to raise more cash for a down payment on my first house.

Yep, that's me. Thanks for the book :applause:

Ya should have let me know. :sumo:

I had a thread that offered free shipping to all board members who won my eBay auctions! I'll send you a PM next time to let you know! I plan on doing another round in maybe 3 - 4 weeks.

I have seen a Amazing Fantasty #15 CGC graded 5.5 on ebay before with a Double Cover

Do you know who owns this now? That should be a really sweet double cover. I'd like to know what it looks like.

:( No have no ideal wish I did, it was back before I really started collecting Double Cover comics it came up for sale on ebay probably 6 years ago and I saved & watched the auction because I was curious as to what it would sale for, well it sold for 4k and just a few weeks later it was back up on ebay for sale again this time though it was cracked out of it's CGC case as the buyer either took it out and returned it or he wanted the owner to take it out for better pictures and then did not buy it, my memory is not all that great on how it went down. I pretty sure it sold the second time for 3 to 3.5k but I have no info now, as my computer hard drive got fried by a power serge not long after that and I lost the pictures I had of it and the auction info I really wish I had printed them off. I would have loved to have had that book but I really could not afford it back then and I sure can't now but it would be cool to know who has it and I can only hope someone did not do to it what greggy said happened to that X-Men #1 that sucks. :(

:cool:Their was another Cool Silver Age Double Cover up a few years back that I almost bought it was a Strange Tales #97 the one with Aunt May and Uncle Ben but I let that one get away too. :(

So is it safe to say that a SA key in mid-grade with the interior cover just a bit better than the outer cover, would not bring a premium? Or only a small one?

$4,000 for a 5.5 is right at Overstreet at today's prices (6 years ago it would be considered double guide or so). I sold 2 Marvel monster reprint books at Chicago this past weekend for $70 and $80 each. This is approximately 20 to 30 times guide. I understand that expensive items can't generate those types of multipliers, but I was surprised to read that there was not much interest in the AF 15 above double Overstreet.

Obviously I'm asking these questions because a friend just showed me his X-Men 1 with a double cover (both attached). It's a VG outside and FINE - inside. He's considering selling and I told him I'd try to find out what he could expect.

Thanks for the input. It's truly appreciated.

In my experience....it depends. For books that are highly sought after, you may be able to expect larger premiums. Batman/Detective Comics and Spider-Mans usually fetch pretty high premiums. However, I've noticed that books that normally command a large dollar amount do not command a very large premium percentage-wise.

For example, that ASM 280 that Terry recently purchased (a lower grade, non-key) for $74.00 is probably 25-50 times what a normal one would have sold for on eBay. However, a book like the CGC 9.8 ASM 238, which features the first appearance of Hobgoblin is not finding any bidders at only $829 on eBay. This book routinely sells for over $500 normally. This is a premium of less than 2x!

Imagine a 25x multiple on a $500 book! Paying $12500 for a double cover ASM #238 is pure insanity! :insane:

As for your friend, you can probably expect a nice premium for a double cover X-Men #1, just not a 25x premium! If he can get 3x GPA, he should consider himself lucky.

In my experience....it depends. For books that are highly sought after, you may be able to expect larger premiums. Batman/Detective Comics and Spider-Mans usually fetch pretty high premiums. However, I've noticed that books that normally command a large dollar amount do not command a very large premium percentage-wise.

For example, that ASM 280 that Terry recently purchased (a lower grade, non-key) for $74.00 is probably 25-50 times what a normal one would have sold for on eBay. However, a book like the CGC 9.8 ASM 238, which features the first appearance of Hobgoblin is not finding any bidders at only $829 on eBay. This book routinely sells for over $500 normally. This is a premium of less than 2x!

Imagine a 25x multiple on a $500 book! Paying $12500 for a double cover ASM #238 is pure insanity! :insane:

As for your friend, you can probably expect a nice premium for a double cover X-Men #1, just not a 25x premium! If he can get 3x GPA, he should consider himself lucky.

Thanks for the info, DCB. I'll pass it on.