• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE DOUBLE COVERS
21 21

2,979 posts in this topic

Has anyone done any research on how many of these seem to exist? I'm in the process of sorting/grading/pricing 300 boxes and I seem to find one about every 200/250 books I actually grade (not $1 junk) or unless I suspect a double cover by "feeling extra weight" . Wish I had time to unbag all the junk and check.

I find alot of MJ inserts that way too, but you would be surprised how one can tell something is up with the book just by being a little heavy.

I'm guessing books after 1990 are actually rarer as a double cover as the printing process tightened up? Or is that an incorrect assumption?

:o You find one in about every 200/250 comics! (worship) (worship) If so I have got to be the unluckest person alive as I have been collecting comics for like 33 years and I have owned well over 20,000 comics and I have only ever found 3 Double Covers in all those comics and I have looked in every one of them. :( I have found some MJ inserts as well. :)

:cool: So you have found some more Double Covers? what have you found any Spidey's I hope ? :wishluck:

(thumbs u I would guess you are probably right about books after the 1990 being less likely to have Double Covers seems like I see allot less of them than the older ones. (shrug)

:grin: Need some help looking through those 300 boxes? :baiting:

I seem to find one about every 200/250 books I actually grade

Let's see 'em :popcorn:

I don't even list them on ebay anymore since gijoed bought my quad cover defenders 51 4 years ago. They go straight to the source. The books I found over the last few weeks are Champions 13, Freedom Fighters 11 and Mars Patrol 7. The later being supernice on the inside. But the other two are vgish outside and probably f/vf or a little better inside

I don't even list them on ebay anymore since gijoed bought my quad cover defenders 51 4 years ago. They go straight to the source.

You know, some of us do outbid gijoed now and then.... hm

Has anyone done any research on how many of these seem to exist? I'm in the process of sorting/grading/pricing 300 boxes and I seem to find one about every 200/250 books I actually grade (not $1 junk) or unless I suspect a double cover by "feeling extra weight" . Wish I had time to unbag all the junk and check.

I find alot of MJ inserts that way too, but you would be surprised how one can tell something is up with the book just by being a little heavy.

I'm guessing books after 1990 are actually rarer as a double cover as the printing process tightened up? Or is that an incorrect assumption?

:o You find one in about every 200/250 comics! (worship) (worship) If so I have got to be the unluckest person alive as I have been collecting comics for like 33 years and I have owned well over 20,000 comics and I have only ever found 3 Double Covers in all those comics and I have looked in every one of them. :( I have found some MJ inserts as well. :)

:cool: So you have found some more Double Covers? what have you found any Spidey's I hope ? :wishluck:

(thumbs u I would guess you are probably right about books after the 1990 being less likely to have Double Covers seems like I see allot less of them than the older ones. (shrug)

:grin: Need some help looking through those 300 boxes? :baiting:

I guess I should clarify that its 200/250 unbagged books (95% bronze) that are worth grading for me to sell. (ie a chance at $5) That's not counting bagged books, that I will only check if the weight feels "wrong". I did a preliminary sort and made 40 or so boxes out of the 300. So I guess this numbers only apply to unsorted bronze age stuff. I don't have the time to check every book.

All of my books go to the same person. (see post above about what I have now)

I have 2 spideys but I'm keeping them for my spidey collection.

I don't really find that many after 1990, but that could be that most books are already bagged and boarded and they never get checked. (shrug)

Terry-- you always welcome to come down to atlanta to and shop the storage area. Tons of good stuff. But I am down to my last 50 or so boxes to sort. I'll warn you ahead of time though that these books are originally from Atlanta so there won't be any variants (at least I haven't found 1 in the first 250+) :baiting:

I don't even list them on ebay anymore since gijoed bought my quad cover defenders 51 4 years ago. They go straight to the source.

:o Any of you guys can feel free to PM with what titles you collect or if your interested in the 3 I have right now. I'll keep an eye out for you. I've just gotten into the habit of sending them to gijoed.

Its a super long story, and I don't know all the details.....but he sold a bunch of his books at one time. Well they ended up making it down south, and I've been basically helping him buy back books he already owned at one time. And at the same time selling him the ones I find in collections....

:o Any of you guys can feel free to PM with what titles you collect or if your interested in the 3 I have right now. I'll keep an eye out for you. I've just gotten into the habit of sending them to gijoed.

Its a super long story, and I don't know all the details.....but he sold a bunch of his books at one time. Well they ended up making it down south, and I've been basically helping him buy back books he already owned at one time. And at the same time selling him the ones I find in collections....

I, along with others here, trade, buy, and sell with gijoed. I collect X-men double covers (and double covers in general). Terry collects ASM obviously. After talking with Joe about his history, I've (along with others) helped him out.

Just saying, you may find better prices here rather than gijoed. Also, you would be helping us out. With that said, any X-related titles?

Yes I've known Terry for years (when I found 200+ 35 centers). Terry still has (at least I hope he does) the double cover 35 cent variant that I wish I never listed on ebay. No x-titles in stock right now, but have sent an x-men 41 (1st series) to Joe in one of the last batches.

And I think it was about 3 or 4 VCC ago, I listed about 40 double covers (mostly silver age) and with the exception of about 7-8 that sold to someone in NY the rest went to Joe. So while I hear what your saying, I found that Joe will take them all (the good,bad, and ugly) and thus have gotten into the habit of selling direct.

But I'll try to keep you guys in the loop......

I think you've vastly overestimated the frequency of double cover books. I think it's closer to one in 1,000/1,500. Now, I'm not talking about moderns here, just BA, SA and GA.

Does anyone think that the QC at the printing plants is better today than in the past?

I think you've vastly overestimated the frequency of double cover books. I think it's closer to one in 1,000/1,500. Now, I'm not talking about moderns here, just BA, SA and GA.

Does anyone think that the QC at the printing plants is better today than in the past?

Hey MoonDog, Good seeing you at Wizard World Chicago last year. Looking forward to next year already.

Yes I agree my numbers are only valid for a specific store stock that has been sitting for the last 20 years. Further filtered by the fact that I'm only checking on bronze age books that were not bagged. I didn't mean for those numbers to be taken as a general rule.

And yes I think (my opinion) that 1 or a combination of the following in going on in printing plants today

1. QC or technology in general is better so less are produced

2. smaller print runs compared to 60s & 70s

3. nobody ever checks the darn things anyway since they are essentially worthless

I don't even list them on ebay anymore since gijoed bought my quad cover defenders 51 4 years ago. They go straight to the source. The books I found over the last few weeks are Champions 13, Freedom Fighters 11 and Mars Patrol 7. The later being supernice on the inside. But the other two are vgish outside and probably f/vf or a little better inside

:hi: Hey Jeff what kind of condition is the Champions #13 in I might be interested in that one I have a #2 & #15 with Double Covers already be cool to have the complete run in Double Covers. :gossip:

:cloud9: Wish I could come down to Alanta and spend the day going through Long Boxes with you it would be fun. :cool:

:grin:And Yes I still have that Inhumans #12 35 cent variant Double Cover, still the only one of those I have ever heard of. :cloud9:

Originally Posted By: finecomics

but have sent an x-men 41 (1st series) to Joe in one of the last batches.

gijoed has been trying to push that X-men #41 on me for awhile.

Yes, keep us in the loop.

lol Yeah if I remember right it wasn't it the best of shape. I think a little H2O damage. But its still a double cover :baiting:

:gossip: Not to mention I traded him a Nice Graded #41 Double Cover not long ago. :grin:

:o and I had two of them at the time, it must be one of the more common Double Covers books. (shrug)