• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Press + Re-sub: To crack or not to crack?

77 posts in this topic

is that a 2" crease on the right edge of the front cover...faint but I might be seeing things and perhaps the note exclude that "obvious" flaw for the graders with book in hands.

just a wag

is that a 2" crease on the right edge of the front cover...faint but I might be seeing things and perhaps the note exclude that "obvious" flaw for the graders with book in hands.

just a wag

As I said, I detected no crease with book in hand, nor do I see one through the case now (as I noted in my other thread, I do now detect that crease and others as well; faint and pressed out, but there)

Either he could press out another crease or two and/or reverse some bad pressing from the "other" guy.

hm

:popcorn:

Want to make clear: I did not mean Joey here.

I took that for granted. I was just rabble rousing through boredom.

I've been called worse. You appear to have been hosed on the Hulk 102.

No kidding! That as an 8.0 has got to be one of the nicer examples I have seen.

Some grades are hard to understand. like this one for example. Not my book, but I am not sure where the grade came from??? And no grader notes to help clarify.

33eee34e5aeef434394dc8b825b6e470_zpsa463ee6c.jpg

7da2e2023a2bb1c542e9d2899d0c2234_zps707886ed.jpg

Having looked at the scans & notes, I'd say that the Hulk was on the money...and you caught a lucky break on the Supes. Rusty staples, rust migration and staining are all defects that should hammer a book and I think you got off lightly. (thumbs u

Some grades are hard to understand. like this one for example. Not my book, but I am not sure where the grade came from??? And no grader notes to help clarify.

f31c517a0609dbb12760be3f8e9864d5_zps42e6ddd7.jpg

Considering that the scan is too small to even make out the issue number, I'm not sure a true evaluation is possible? :baiting:

f31c517a0609dbb12760be3f8e9864d5_zps42e6ddd7.jpg

Considering that the scan is too small to even make out the issue number, I'm not sure a true evaluation is possible? :baiting:

It is number 251... :baiting:

Fixed. It was big on my screen. Not sure what happened.

I assume it is something I missed. I agree with Etanick most complaints are because people can't grade.

I would do nothing now. Grades are being hammered left and right. I would hold off submitting or re-submitting anything for a while and then reevaluate your options.

Got 3 books back from CGC, which I believe to be grossly under-graded (yes, I know, welcome to the club) However, I am usually within a half grade of CGC, rarely more than a grade. Here I was 2 grades+ off. Shocked. I am planning on pressing (sorry anti-pressers) + resubbing. Yes, I paid for grader notes and STILL believe they are significantly under-graded.

Q: Trying to decide if I should send to Matt Nelson in the slabs w/grader notes or crack them out and send them in for a press and grade "blind"?

Racer deserves to get screwed because he is a fool without his money.

And he should learn how to grade... Just because someone says it's a 9.4 doesn't mean it is. If he used his own eyes and had better judgement he would've shipped those books back to the seller for a refund instead of Sarasota to get graded. 2c

Got 3 books back from CGC, which I believe to be grossly under-graded (yes, I know, welcome to the club) However, I am usually within a half grade of CGC, rarely more than a grade. Here I was 2 grades+ off. Shocked. I am planning on pressing (sorry anti-pressers) + resubbing. Yes, I paid for grader notes and STILL believe they are significantly under-graded.

Q: Trying to decide if I should send to Matt Nelson in the slabs w/grader notes or crack them out and send them in for a press and grade "blind"?

Insert nipple into crying hole.

Silence.

You're welcome.

Either an invisible stain on the front or back cover, or something inside. I'd definitely pay up for notes on a book like this, though. What's that beneath the "Y" on the back cover?

Insert nipple into crying hole.

Silence.

You're welcome.

Dice - please stop posting in my threads. Please stop replying to my comments. There's lots of room in this forum. Please stay away. I'll do the same. Thanks.

Racer, with all dues respect, I gotta say I read that other thread and I think you were out of line with etanick (thumbs u

Granted, he could have said it a little nicer but I guarantee you he wasn't trying to be a to you. I'm telling you he's not like that. If it was me, you would have been justified but really he was just giving you a little tough love. I understand after getting hosed you aren't in the mood for tough love but no question he wasn't trying to "rub salt in your wounds" IMO.

I didn't look but I can guess about what those books cost you for the grades they were advertising. Hey, we've all pretty much been there and made a HORRIBLE buy. You gotta learn from those mistakes though. Again, he could have been nicer but you do need to learn how to grade, especially if your dropping that kind of coin! I'm not trying to be a , I'm in the same boat. I consider myself a decent grader but definitely not good enough to be confident dropping thousands on raw books.because I don't trust myself, I stick to slabs, cheap raws or raws from only the absolute best of the best trustworthy dealers.

Ignore it or take it to heart, you got no reason to listen to me but just wanted to give my opinion on Nick. Honestly, I think you just took it the wrong way because it stung a little(especially after getting the grades) but I guarantee you he only did it to try and help you. None of us want to see collectors getting screwed on purchases that should be making them happy as hell :foryou:

Racer, with all dues respect, I gotta say I read that other thread and I think you were out of line with etanick (thumbs u

Granted, he could have said it a little nicer but I guarantee you he wasn't trying to be a to you. I'm telling you he's not like that. If it was me, you would have been justified but really he was just giving you a little tough love. I understand after getting hosed you aren't in the mood for tough love but no question he wasn't trying to "rub salt in your wounds" IMO.

I didn't look but I can guess about what those books cost you for the grades they were advertising. Hey, we've all pretty much been there and made a HORRIBLE buy. You gotta learn from those mistakes though. Again, he could have been nicer but you do need to learn how to grade, especially if your dropping that kind of coin! I'm not trying to be a , I'm in the same boat. I consider myself a decent grader but definitely not good enough to be confident dropping thousands on raw books.because I don't trust myself, I stick to slabs, cheap raws or raws from only the absolute best of the best trustworthy dealers.

Ignore it or take it to heart, you got no reason to listen to me but just wanted to give my opinion on Nick. Honestly, I think you just took it the wrong way because it stung a little(especially after getting the grades) but I guarantee you he only did it to try and help you. None of us want to see collectors getting screwed on purchases that should be making them happy as hell :foryou:

I totally agree.

Nick was just sharing hard-won experience and emphasizing that there's no quick work-around to learning how to buy raw books.

It sucks to get hosed in the grading game, but don't shoot the messenger who's giving sound advice. He was just trying to help.

I totally agree.

Nick was just sharing hard-won experience and emphasizing that there's no quick work-around to learning how to buy raw books.

It sucks to get hosed in the grading game, but don't shoot the messenger who's giving sound advice. He was just trying to help.

Maybe you're right - maybe he didn't man to be an , but I got the same advice from some of you who are able to express your opinions in a respectful way. His tone was out of line, so I shot back. It's hard to tell who is and who's not a part of that small but prominent sub-group that can't seem to refrain from posting their tiresome comments. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't a part of that idiotic clique, but at the time I aimed at him as if he were.