• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecs 1-26 In Grade -- The Quest Is Finally Over

546 posts in this topic

It took me over 20 years, but I finally did it.

As many of my fellow board members know, although I collect a wide range of GA books, my sweet spot has been 1930's pre-hero DCs. And I've always felt that the crown jewel of those early DCs is the Detective Comics 1-26 run. Unlike other books published between 1937 and 1939, which often had humorous or light-hearted covers, the covers of the early Tecs were consistently dark, gritty and pulp-like. And they were drawn by some of the best GA artists, such as Creig Flessel, Leo O'Mealia and Fred Guardineer.

I first got interested in the run after seeing many of the Church copies lined up in Gary Carter's booth at the San Diego Comic-Con. I was able to pick up two of the Church copies, but before I could get any others, Danny Kramer swooped in and bought the rest of them in a single purchase in the early 90's.

Nevertheless, I made it my primary collecting goal to acquire the entire run in unrestored high grade condition. My initial objective was to collect the run in vf condition or better. But that goal proved to be unattainable because some of the issues do not exist in that grade. Nor did it help that, for many years, most of the Church copies resided with Kramer. I therefore lowered my grade requirement to 6.0. Yet even with this modification, it still took over 20 years to finish the quest.

Over the next couple of weeks, I will post the run in sequential order. For those (such as Mr. Zaid) who like such things, here are some of the statistics:

18 of the books are pedigrees, 11 of these are Church copies.

17 of the books are in vf- or better grade.

22 of the 26 are CGC graded. Of those, 14 are top of the census.

As a final note, I'd like to express special thanks to Jon Berk, without whom this odyssey would never have ended. Jon's gracious generosity allowed me to acquire the last and most elusive book in the run.

So, after that long-winded build-up, here is the first issue in the run. Tec #1 (CGC 6.5):

136665.jpg.affaab8c17f48e988623a890fddce3eb.jpg

As many of my fellow board members know, although I collect a wide range of GA books, my sweet spot has been 1930's pre-hero DCs. And I've always felt that the crown jewel of those early DCs is the Detective Comics 1-26 run. Unlike other books published between 1937 and 1939, which often had humorous or light-hearted covers, the covers of the early Tecs were consistently dark, gritty and pulp-like. And they were drawn by some of the best GA artists, such as Creig Flessel, Leo O'Mealia and Fred Guardineer.

I first got interested in the run after seeing many of the Church copies lined up in Gary Carter's booth at the San Diego Comic-Con. I was able to pick up two of the Church copies, but before I could get any others, Danny Kramer swooped in and bought the rest of them in a single purchase in the early 90's.

Nevertheless, I made it my primary collecting goal to acquire the entire run in unrestored high grade condition. My initial objective was to collect the run in vf condition or better. But that goal proved to be unattainable because some of the issues do not exist in that grade. Nor did it help that, for many years, most of the Church copies resided with Kramer. I therefore lowered my grade requirement to 6.0. Yet even with this modification, it still took over 20 years to finish the quest.

Over the next couple of weeks, I will post the run in sequential order. For those (such as Mr. Zaid) who like such things, here are some of the statistics:

As a final note, I'd like to express special thanks to Jon Berk, without whom this odyssey would never have ended. Jon's gracious generosity allowed me to acquire the last and most elusive book in the run.

So, after that long-winded build-up, here is the first issue in the run. Tec #1 (CGC 6.5):

Major congrats (thumbs u I sincerely look forward to seeing the books as they are posted... I can truly appreciate the incredible focus it must have taken to fulfill the goal. Kudos!!

Major congrats (thumbs u I sincerely look forward to seeing the books as they are posted... I can truly appreciate the incredible focus it must have taken to fulfill the goal. Kudos!!

Thanks Bronty. Yes, it required focus, but it required even more patience. There were times when I thought it would never happen.

So what's next as part of your collecting focus?

That's a good question. And one to which I have not yet found an answer.

Maybe I should follow Bunky into the Centaur abyss. hm

But then again, I'm no longer young enough to start going down that decades long path.

the covers of the early Tecs were consistently dark, gritty and pulp-like. And they were drawn by some of the best GA artists, such as Creig Flessel, Leo O'Mealia and Fred Guardineer.

Congrats, RHG. Feels like we've been alongside you for the final 10 years of your quest. Happy to see you reveal the happy ending. :)

So, distribution-wise, how many did you get in the first 10 years and how many in the second 10 years?

You had me at #1 :luhv:

Massive congratulations on having such a laser focus for so long. May I ask which one was the most elusive of the group?