• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecs 1-26 In Grade -- The Quest Is Finally Over

546 posts in this topic

This next pedigree copy is somewhat unusual. The Windy City pedigree (discovered by Moondog) is recognized as a large collection of #1 issues from the 30's and 40's. What many collectors don't realize is that a very small handful of the books in the collection are not first issues. This Detective 6 (CGC 6.5) is one of those outliers.

136792.jpg.889bad03f8f3eb9a8b78d18fc902c451.jpg

The #4 is the Lost Valley copy. This is one of the issues that does not appear to exist in high grade (the Church copy is around vg). Although this copy is only a CGC 6.5, it tops the census by two full grades.

This is by far my favorite 1930s DC cover. Just striking.

It's nice to see that the #4 has been getting so much love in this thread. It's not one of the issues that is ordinarily recognized as a standout.

And thanks again to everyone for the congratulatory comments. They are much appreciated.

Wow, this thread is just incredible. Massive kudos on this run. The 4 and 5 copies are especially stunning. I literally can't wait to see the rest. I love this run, and am fortunate to own a very presentable 16 in 1.8, but so much of it is out of my price range. But getting to look at someone else's painstakingly assembled run is very special. Thanks for sharing.

Until a person has collected 1930's comics, they don't really appreciate how difficult they are to find in any condition. For you to have the patience and motivation to achieve your goal with this collection is truly extraordinary.

Congratulations!

+1

Peter,

Absolutely amazing! Probably the most fun I've had reading a thread on the boards in a long time. What an incredible accomplishment!! (worship)(worship)

I have a question for you though.

If you were to try to start the same collection today, would you do it the same way? Would you relax your standards for the sake of completing the run sooner? Or would you be just as patient the second time around?

I'm trying to focus on mainly collecting one run of books (about 25 issues) but some of them are so hard to find in any grade that I find myself unable to show as much patience as you have and will often grab the first decent copy I see.

Looking at the way you've put this run together though you have me re-thinking my approach.

Peter,

Absolutely amazing! Probably the most fun I've had reading a thread on the boards in a long time. What an incredible accomplishment!! (worship)(worship)

I have a question for you though.

If you were to try to start the same collection today, would you do it the same way? Would you relax your standards for the sake of completing the run sooner? Or would you be just as patient the second time around?

I'm trying to focus on mainly collecting one run of books (about 25 issues) but some of them are so hard to find in any grade that I find myself unable to show as much patience as you have and will often grab the first decent copy I see.

Looking at the way you've put this run together though you have me re-thinking my approach.

Adam,

You have to really appreciate the thrill of the hunt to do it the way I did. You also have to be incredibly patient, and willing to accept the fact that you may never complete your goal.

The better way, probably, is to try to complete the run in the best grade available, and then try to upgrade the lower graded copies over time until, hopefully, you have the entire run in the grade you want. That approach would undoubtedly be less frustrating.