• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zen and the art of moderation
2 2

908 posts in this topic

How many of you have moderated a large site with some boisterous (albeit humorous) personalities?

I've done "my time" (8 years), on my own time, and while I loved it, it wasn't always easy when you've got people trying to push, push, push all the time (and it is usually the same people). I've even had people argue with me and call me names over what were blatant violations, after I quoted the posted rules, and I've had people tell me that I was on the more lenient, patient side as a mod. Really nasty things said to me over what were some of the more obvious breaking of common sense rules AFTER they received a warning.

There's just no pleasing everyone. Basically, you're asking for over-moderation or under-moderation, and you're not always going to get it right according to everyone (most often, the people who keep finding themselves in direct conflict with the moderators).

I hope we can all come to some sort of balance, because I like it here, I like most of the people here, and I hope I can continue to enjoy the community.

I'm a firm supporter of button-humping at the first sign of being trolled; but, sadly, I detected no Tupenny trolling in the clipped end; & so, alas, it wasn't I who humped yon button.

:sorry: button. :(

Not recalling every single post, I really can't remember any that stuck out as being anywhere in the vicinity of pull-worthy. Who's the four-year old girl with the delicate sensibilities who cried to mommy? :taptaptap:

You should research the delicate sensibilities by reading one or two online articles and then get back to us with your findings.

I haven't humped anything all day. :(

I have. :cloud9:

Maybe in your humping frenzy you accidentally hit the mod button

Let's all post our non-button related daily hump count.

Why do they call Wednesday "hump day," when most people get laid on the weekends?

-slym

(tsk) That's only Before they get married. Then it's semi-annual after that.

Next month is "hump month" for me, I'm not sure whether to rename it "Humpuary" or "Humptober". (shrug)

How many of you have moderated a large site with some boisterous (albeit humorous) personalities?

I've done "my time" (8 years), on my own time, and while I loved it, it wasn't always easy when you've got people trying to push, push, push all the time (and it is usually the same people). I've even had people argue with me and call me names over what were blatant violations, after I quoted the posted rules, and I've had people tell me that I was on the more lenient, patient side as a mod. Really nasty things said to me over what were some of the more obvious breaking of common sense rules AFTER they received a warning.

There's just no pleasing everyone. Basically, you're asking for over-moderation or under-moderation, and you're not always going to get it right according to everyone (most often, the people who keep finding themselves in direct conflict with the moderators).

I hope we can all come to some sort of balance, because I like it here, I like most of the people here, and I hope I can continue to enjoy the community.

I was a moderator on four Ebay comic book chat forums, for about 6 months. Those chat rooms went out of business. Due to a lack of interest, I think.

But during my time on there, I found it easy to moderate. Piece of cake actually. What I didn't catch, other moderators did. There were no notify buttons. You read the threads and made judgement calls. It is easy to spot infractions if you are reading it all.

Many of the people posting on those Ebay sites, are on this site. The same ones that were always in arguments, and often doing the personal attack thing, are the same ones who do it on this CGC site. The Ebay chat forums had much more venom than this CGC forum.

When you do not get paid for being a moderator. You lose interest in it quickly. It is like being a referee or umpire in sports. It usually makes you disliked. It rarely makes you liked. Except by the very few that feel the need to suck up to authority. Those types are in every aspect of society and business, and are known to all who pay attention.

The only people that like umpires, are those whose team wins on a bad call. Obvious calls go unnoticed. As they should. A guy catches a fly ball and is called out. Big deal. The referees and umpires, should not be in the spotlight. They, for the most part, should go unheralded and unnoticed.

Why do they call Wednesday "hump day," when most people get laid on the weekends?

Some people never marry...

-slym

(worship)

Some people never marry...

-slym

Some married people get laid on hump day.

the four-year old girl

Sexism.

If I'm also cavalier about referring to women as four-year old boys when they're doing something immature or dumb as opposed to overly-sensitive in order to exaggerate a point, am I still a sexist? hm

Yes.

Wow, no points at all for perpetuating stereotypes about BOTH genders? :blush: I like to think of myself as an equal-opportunity chauvinist. :angel:

No points, but you are being consistent. Consistency is a virtue. Most of the time anyway.

I was a moderator on four Ebay comic book chat forums, for about 6 months. Those chat rooms went out of business. Due to a lack of interest, I think.

But during my time on there, I found it easy to moderate. Piece of cake actually. What I didn't catch, other moderators did. There were no notify buttons. You read the threads and made judgement calls. It is easy to spot infractions if you are reading it all.

Many of the people posting on those Ebay sites, are on this site. The same ones that were always in arguments, and often doing the personal attack thing, are the same ones who do it on this CGC site. The Ebay chat forums had much more venom than this CGC forum.

Noooo! Say it isn't so!

When you do not get paid for being a moderator. You lose interest in it quickly. It is like being a referee or umpire in sports. It usually makes you disliked. It rarely makes you liked. Except by the very few that feel the need to suck up to authority. Those types are in every aspect of society and business, and are known to all who pay attention.

The only people that like umpires, are those whose team wins on a bad call. Obvious calls go unnoticed. As they should. A guy catches a fly ball and is called out. Big deal. The referees and umpires, should not be in the spotlight. They, for the most part, should go unheralded and unnoticed.

CAL recharging the repulsor rays..