• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need advice from board Daddies of young girls. Im fostering again.

34 posts in this topic

Here's my suggestion for what it's worth. If you have a couple of bookstores and LCS by you, then I recommend having them pick out their own books. That comes from me purchasing too many books that my nieces aren't interested in. Also try the library.

Here's some comics that come to mind:

Young Justice - While the first books focuses on the guys, the second trade is focused on Artemis. Plus she could watch the DVD.

Anything by Archie. You can just pick up one digest and they are all pretty much the same. Their is usually one story about every character.

Emily the Strange - She may be visually drawn to it.

Not everything has to be a comic. There is a nice selection of books out there as well. I just was at the book store and saw this:

The Ultra Violets - The book is done entirely in purple, text, pictures, you get the drift. Looks way cute.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Violets-Sophie-Bell/dp/1595146032/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366106003&sr=1-1&keywords=violet+girls

That is all that comes to mind right now.

Sabrina manga series is starting to get collected but it is in B&W. It loses alot of charm without the color. The story builds up over 40+ issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrina-Teenage-Witch-Magic-Within/dp/1936975394/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366110340&sr=1-1&keywords=sabrina+magic

I believe you can get the entire series in digital format at the Archie site - http://archiedigital.com/

My girls both (3 and 6) like the My Little Pony series and Reed Gunther, it's about a cowboy that rides a bear. My oldest also likes The Stuff of Legend.
Did Reed Gunther get discontinued? I was collecting the series, but don't recall a new issue in quite some time.

My girls both (3 and 6) like the My Little Pony series and Reed Gunther, it's about a cowboy that rides a bear. My oldest also likes The Stuff of Legend.
Did Reed Gunther get discontinued? I was collecting the series, but don't recall a new issue in quite some time.
That's funny, I just emailed Chris Houghton yesterday and asked the same thing. I'll let you know if he responds.

My son just turned 12 but at a young age he loved Scooby-Doo, Batman Adventures, Bone, Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck. He also now really enjoys the Archie books. For young girls Power Puffs might also be a good selection.

My 8 year old loved the Spider-Man loves Mary Jane books. She, of course, couldn't get enough of Bone. She also really enjoys the Simpsons comics and Archie books.

She also enjoyed the first few Harry Potter books until they got to be more challenging reads. The Ramona and Beazus books were also fun. Anything by Cleary (I believe that was her name) was fun.

though its about a younger girl (she's 5-6) Yotsuba (manga) is a great story about a kid and her life with her dad and their real world adventures.

might resonate more with the younger girls, but maybe the older one could read it to them?

All Ages book

(I have all 11 volumes and my girl discovered them when she was 3 and for the last year plus I've had to read from them almost every day to her).

137089.jpg.ac99420b8173bfb3275d95b35bfe63b9.jpg