• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CVA Exceptional? Really?

81 posts in this topic

I don't get it. Isn't the CGC grade for the whole book? Front cover, back cover and the pages. Now people are saying the CGC numbers are incorrect and they need an extra sticker...

This thread is confusing me...

What CVA is saying is that not all 8.5s are the same. Some 8.5s present much better than others, and a CVA sticker indicates those they feel are at the high end of the spectrum.

Some exteriors present better.

Does an interior present itself in any way? CVA chooses books that it feels present better than the typical grade the book has. They make no claim that the book is better than other 8.5s, only that it looks nicer. Some people don't care if a book has a two inch tear on page 16 when the book will never be opened anyway. Some do care. some care about a perfectly centered book, others don't mind a bit of a white stripe on the spine.

Thats why CVA will be a niche market, not for everyone. I certainly have no plans on submitting anything o them.

Does anyone even know who these people are?

The one thing I will say about the CVA sticker, it's presence will give me more confidence to bid on a Clink book. Because Clink does not show the Back Cover I often find myself shying away from certain books. If I see the CVA sticker, I assume the back cover is clean.

That's a good point, I hadn't though of that.

Too bad about the 3" tear on the interior that the CVA sticker didn't warn you about :ohnoez:

There's an INTERIOR?! :o

Yeah really, the CGC label provides a base expectation to the interior page quality of a book since you will not be able to open it while it's certified; the CVA label will now provide you with an expectation of a book that you don't necessarily have to see before purchasing. The evaluation is all done for you. No more second-guessing, no more excuses, just buy the damn book.

I've applied to be a grader for a company that will apply stickers to fully clothed people so others will know how they would look naked. I think the work day will be a mix of good and bad, but they pay very well.

I've applied to be a grader for a company that will apply stickers to fully clothed people so others will know how they would look naked. I think the work day will be a mix of good and bad, but they pay very well.

?

This makes much, much more sense.

That is an admirable vocation, and I would thank anyone who applied a label on someone to inform me ahead of time of any restoration, pieces added, tears sealed, or if something was trimmed.

That is an admirable vocation, and I would thank anyone who applied a label on someone to inform me ahead of time of any restoration, pieces added, tears sealed, or if something was trimmed.

It will cost much more than a "thank you".

It will cost much more than a "thank you".

What do I have to do? Register my credit card and pay extra for fast track?

maybe next we can have a company that grades cva and they can put a sticker on too. this is so idiotic, i wonder how many cva rejects

That's what I want to know.

Who has submitted a book to them and had it rejected?

Or is it a case of as long as your checks good, your book is exceptional.

This CVA thing is a gimmick. And, sadly, it will take hold, especially for silver and bronze age books, to help distinguish these books within grade because they are so damn common, and therefore merit a price bump.

Not at $25 per book, it won't. I was thinking it was around $5 a book, but its $25.

Edited- Its $12 for a book worth up to $300, $25 for books up to $1,000.

You can prescreen for $2 per book.

Maybe the CVA sticker should be in braille because if you can't tell a bad wrap from a good one that's already been graded by CGC I'll send you a sheet of smiley-face stickers you can put on your slabs.

Total waste of money. I also see slabs where people have peeled the sticker off at auction.

Maybe the CVA sticker should be in braille because if you can't tell a bad wrap from a good one that's already been graded by CGC I'll send you a sheet of smiley-face stickers you can put on your slabs.

Total waste of money. I also see slabs where people have peeled the sticker off at auction.

Now wait a gosh darn minute. You have discovered the one loophole in my, CVA is the most nonsensical idea ever hypothesis. If someone doesn't have the ability to see, this sticker would make somewhat more sense than a Snuggie, and not by much.

I don't get it. Isn't the CGC grade for the whole book? Front cover, back cover and the pages. Now people are saying the CGC numbers are incorrect and they need an extra sticker...

This thread is confusing me...

What CVA is saying is that not all 8.5s are the same. Some 8.5s present much better than others, and a CVA sticker indicates those they feel are at the high end of the spectrum.

Some exteriors present better.

Does an interior present itself in any way? CVA chooses books that it feels present better than the typical grade the book has. They make no claim that the book is better than other 8.5s, only that it looks nicer. Some people don't care if a book has a two inch tear on page 16 when the book will never be opened anyway. Some do care. some care about a perfectly centered book, others don't mind a bit of a white stripe on the spine.

Thats why CVA will be a niche market, not for everyone. I certainly have no plans on submitting anything o them.

Does anyone even know who these people are?

No, that's exactly what they claim:

What does “Exceptional” mean to CVA?

"Exceptional" is defined as a comic book that possesses outstanding eye appeal and superior structure within the numerical grade assigned by CGC.

Silver CVA Sticker - Exceptional example for the grade

Gold CVA Sticker - Extraordinarily Exceptional example for the grade

They are, in fact, claiming that any book they sticker is an exceptional example of that particular grade - eg. not only nicer looking, but structurally better than other books with the same CGC grade.

Which is complete & utter b/s seeing that they're basing this on a quick look-see through the slab.

What, no special sticker for people who look better in cothes than out of them??

I'll never get a sticker now...

-slym