• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CVA Exceptional? Really?

81 posts in this topic

How would you define structure? I'm thinking you don't define it the same way they do. I think they mean well centered, which is easily seen thru the slab.

You mean like these "exceptionally" well-centered examples?

wf164.jpg

batman242.jpg

RAD714C52013313_175553.jpg

Does anyone actually use this service besides ComicLink? And given the prior relationship between ComicLink and CVA's "lead verifier", I have my doubts as to whether ComicLink is paying anything at all for the stickers - as it's pretty much advertising for a previously unheard of service.

I can't imagine after going through the expense and trouble of slabbing a book, that too many collectors and dealers are going to bother with the added expense of getting a sticker ( plus shipping and insurance costs).

I'm guessing this will have the longevity of the Wizard First CGC grades.

I don't get it. Isn't the CGC grade for the whole book? Front cover, back cover and the pages. Now people are saying the CGC numbers are incorrect and they need an extra sticker...

This thread is confusing me...

Just so everybody know. This was written with some irony.

For me the grade should reflect on the whole book (cgc). This extra sticker... I just don't get it. I can see the cover and know if I like it or not. Don't need no sticker for that. And if I would ever win a book with a cva sticker I would peel it off.

(Or ask the seller do to it for me" :insane:)

Wiki says

CVA is

Carrabassett Valley Academy, a ski and snowboard academy based in Carrabassett Valley, Maine

College of Visual Arts, a four-year private college in Minnesota

Conservatorium van Amsterdam (CvA), a conservatory of music in the Netherlands

Contextual value added, CVA is a statistic used by the government of the United Kingdom to assess the performance of schools

Cyber Village Academy, a charter school in Saint Paul, Minnesota

Nothing about comics

CVA's purpose is for you to basically buy sight unseen, So If you buy a 9.6, The eye appeal will look like a 9.6.

Picky collectors will say, How can this be a 9.6 with a date stamp? So CVA is supposed to remove that kind of doubt that you are getting a book with nice eye appeal. Then they will place a sticker on it. Wondering if they will make scratch n' sniff stickers, scratch one and it smells like Steve Borock, Scratch and smell another, it'll smell like a Mile High Copy ect..

CVA's purpose is for you to basically buy sight unseen, So If you buy a 9.6, The eye appeal will look like a 9.6.

Picky collectors will say, How can this be a 9.6 with a date stamp? So CVA is supposed to remove that kind of doubt that you are getting a book with nice eye appeal. Then they will place a sticker on it. Wondering if they will make scratch n' sniff stickers, scratch one and it smells like Steve Borock, Scratch and smell another, it'll smell like a Mile High Copy ect..

:eek::sick:

-slym ( :lol: )

I haven't been around here in months now. I come back and I see this CVA stuff is still around.

Shocked they actually lasted this long. Is this lame shlt actually here to stay?

Its only lasting as long as it has ComicLink backing it... has anyone seen the CVA guys at shows? I remember them having a sparse table at the end of last con season, but have they had a presence this year?

I havent see anything with CVA show up in a HA auction, or at least not be pointed out as being CVA....

Talking about CVA is like smelling other people's farts.

It's an odorous byproduct floating around that doesn't really do any harm - but you're forced to smell it, simply because of proximity.

I personally don't mind date stamps. Am I the minority? It gives more to the feel of the book of when it was on the stand 40 years ago.

I personally don't mind date stamps. Am I the minority? It gives more to the feel of the book of when it was on the stand 40 years ago.

They don't bother me either.