• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will we be over-saturated with everything Star Wars

32 posts in this topic

Now that Disney announced that they plan on releasing a new Star Wars movie a year starting in 2015 through 2020, will we get to a point where it'll be ho-hum? I am a big fan of the franchise and I certainly hope they get it right.

Personally I look forward to it - 6 movies in 6 years beats the 6 movies they've done in the past 35 years.

I would imagine if they closely pick up from the end of RotJ (vs jumping way into the future where there are no familiar characters) that there will be a collecting bump in things from the original trilogy (action figures, the old marvel comic line). Decent # of 40 somethings looking to recapture that feeling of youth....

ugghh I just cant stand another entire release of action figures...again!

If they're like the last ones you can expect to be able to pick up 90% of them cheaper on eBay or at garage sales within 5 years.

Wrong - if they are like the last ones you will never see them and Hasbro will cite distribution problems and delays.

Only two waves of nine actually made it to retail as planned. Hasbro has had problems with this and GI Joe for 2 years now. In fact this is the third year as they cancelled their planned theme and are reworking it.

True fans really will never get enough, but I'm really looking at the bigger movie-going base who may not necessarily be fans but movie buffs.

In recent years you had:

Harry Potter - 8 movies in 11 years - mostly aimed at children who dragged their parents along and got hooked

Marvel Avengers Heroes - 6 movies including IM3 in 5 years, so far (I'm excluding ASM since it's its own story arc) - aimed at the action/adventure crowd with a sprinkling of nostalgic 40-50 year olds

Twilight - 5 movies in 5 years - aimed at young girls and fans of the books who were ultimately disappointed :acclaim:

I would imagine if they closely pick up from the end of RotJ (vs jumping way into the future where there are no familiar characters) that there will be a collecting bump in things from the original trilogy (action figures, the old marvel comic line). Decent # of 40 somethings looking to recapture that feeling of youth....

They can't pick up too closely after the end of ROTJ or they'll have a hard time explaining why all the principle characters are suddenly 30 years older.

They can't pick up too closely after the end of ROTJ or they'll have a hard time explaining why all the principle characters are suddenly 30 years older.

yeah I wasnt meaning anything to short, 30 years in the future or so where Mark Hammil is filling the Obi Wan type role teaching his son/daughter keeps the ties back to the old stories, and original trilogy characters.

the more tied to the original trilogy characters the movie is the more interest in the original character collectibles...

CGI, my friend. They did that with Jeff Bridges in Tron and they did it pretty well.

You also have to consider that Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill have not aged very well so it'll be a monumental task, for sure.

CGI, my friend. They did that with Jeff Bridges in Tron and they did it pretty well.

You also have to consider that Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill have not aged very well so it'll be a monumental task, for sure.

I doubt they'll go that route.

Now that Disney announced that they plan on releasing a new Star Wars movie a year starting in 2015 through 2020, will we get to a point where it'll be ho-hum? I am a big fan of the franchise and I certainly hope they get it right.

Personally I look forward to it - 6 movies in 6 years beats the 6 movies they've done in the past 35 years.

I too hope they get it right, however, 6 films in as many years is a bit concerning. I'm no fan of the "prequels", way too much PC, comedy (in Ep. 1 anyway) and overkill of the love between Padme & Anakin. Ep 2. was ok, but I don't like the the whole Jengo/Boba origin panned out. Then there is the wretched acting of Hayden Christensen. The prequels were to "kiddie" and this being Disney, I hope they can keep it a bit adult friendly like the first Pirates flick. I don't want to see the Skywalker, Solo offspring galavanting around the galaxy with Mickey, Donald, Pluto and Goofy, though I'm sure there will be little quirky backdrops put in there. I can picture a Mos Eisley canteena with background aliens looking like the aforementioned characters.

I too hope they get it right, however, 6 films in as many years is a bit concerning. I'm no fan of the "prequels", way too much PC, comedy (in Ep. 1 anyway) and overkill of the love between Padme & Anakin. Ep 2. was ok, but I don't like the the whole Jengo/Boba origin panned out. Then there is the wretched acting of Hayden Christensen. The prequels were to "kiddie" and this being Disney, I hope they can keep it a bit adult friendly like the first Pirates flick. I don't want to see the Skywalker, Solo offspring galavanting around the galaxy with Mickey, Donald, Pluto and Goofy, though I'm sure there will be little quirky backdrops put in there. I can picture a Mos Eisley canteena with background aliens looking like the aforementioned characters.

The annual release idea doesn't bother me since the new trilogy films will still be every other year, with films focusing on individual characters(Boba Fett, young Han Solo) filling the gaps.

People are probably already waiting in line for tickets somewhere

I've never left a Star Wars line without a tear or two of regret.