• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Sale is up and running!

239 posts in this topic

A few observations:

Other sadly dead books were:

Adventure 48 in 6.5 blue went for $4780. Guide in 6.0 is $8250!.

It only takes two bidders. This one would have gone for more, had I not just purchased the 5.5 GL #1 from The Gator.

I was targeting this book from the previews forward. But I like GL #1 more, so I went that direction instead.

A few observations:

It only takes two bidders. This one would have gone for more, had I not just purchased the 5.5 GL #1 from The Gator.

I was targeting this book from the previews forward. But I like GL #1 more, so I went that direction instead.

GL #1 is the better book IMO. Good call. (thumbs u

A few observations:

[font:Times New Roman]Exactly. That's why trend spotting is virtually impossible in the short term. If in the next auction a similar copy goes for say $7500, will that be seen as a major loss based on the higher OS value or a trend setting uptick based on folks having mentally reset the value lower? The only thing predictable about an auction is the unpredictability of the auction. (shrug)

Other easily overlooked or under-appreciated factors: Will eye appeal impact bidding more than grade? Are certain books appearing too often in too many auctions? Also, does a hefty buyers premium or lack thereof influence the number of bidders who participate? What other books are competing for bidder resources at the same time or in other soon-to-be-held auctions?

No disrespect to AnkurJ's opinion ( :foryou: ), but it just seems to me that calling any book(s) "dead" based on one result is short sighted. Many things can influence the outcome in any given auction. It takes months, sometimes years of data to determine relevant trends. Lots of variables to take into account. Just sayin'.[/font]

A few observations:

[font:Times New Roman]Exactly. That's why trend spotting is virtually impossible in the short term. If in the next auction a similar copy goes for say $7500, will that be seen as a major loss based on the higher OS value or a trend setting uptick based on folks having mentally reset the value lower? The only thing predictable about an auction is the unpredictability of the auction. (shrug)

Other easily overlooked or under-appreciated factors: Will eye appeal impact bidding more than grade? Are certain books appearing too often in too many auctions? Also, does a hefty buyers premium or lack thereof influence the number of bidders who participate? What other books are competing for bidder resources at the same time or in other soon-to-be-held auctions?

No disrespect to AnkurJ's opinion ( :foryou: ), but it just seems to me that calling any book(s) "dead" based on one result is short sighted. Many things can influence the outcome in any given auction. It takes months, sometimes years of data to determine relevant trends. Lots of variables to take into account. Just sayin'.[/font]

And in many ways we have become jaded and desensitized by the staggering prices we've seen some books realize over the past few years.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that five thousand dollars is still a lot of money for a comic book.

Sure, the Guide can be out of step (in both directions) with the market, but it is unproductive to use that as the only arbiter by which to asses the health of the market overall.

Many titles have slowed in recent years, but they may rebound down the road. I've seen these cycles many times in my 40 years of collecting comics.

A few observations:

And in many ways we have become jaded and desensitized by the staggering prices we've seen some books realize over the past few years.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that five thousand dollars is still a lot of money for a comic book.

Sure, the Guide can be out of step (in both directions) with the market, but it is unproductive to use that as the only arbiter by which to asses the health of the market overall.

Many titles have slowed in recent years, but they may rebound down the road. I've seen these cycles many times in my 40 years of collecting comics.

Excellent point Bill.

My observations were not a representation of the entire market, just this one sale.

However I have to say it is scary of if only two people are going after a certain book. What if that one person decides to stop collecting/dealing all together? What happens then?

Ankur

My observations were not a representation of the entire market, just this one sale.

However I have to say it is scary of if only two people are going after a certain book. What if that one person decides to stop collecting/dealing all together? What happens then?

Ankur

Russ will jump in and take my place.

Ankur

And my point wasn't that ONLY two were bidding, but two people can make a bidding war that results in a higher than expected price.

Ankur

One person? Prices would plummet if it's a niche book. Most of the books I own are in that category because I like to collect things that are a little outside the mainstream. I don't plan to sell many of my books, but if I HAD to sell for some reason, e.g. if I needed an operation that insurance wouldn't cover or some extreme situation like that, I'd be lucky to get half what I've paid for my collection. My auction wins usually look like this:

Me (winner?): $3,000

Underbidder: $2,900

3rd highest: $1,400

Take me out of the equation, and the book I paid $3,000 for sells for $1,500, half what I paid. (I think I'm slightly manic depressive, and I think auctions bring out the manic side. I wouldn't wish my buying history on my worst enemy.) The only way I can justify it is by looking at my comic book money as spending money, not money invested. After all, somebody spending the same kind of money on leisure travel (which is easy enough to do) wouldn't get any of it back in the same situation.

Ankur

One person? Prices would plummet if it's a niche book. Most of the books I own are in that category because I like to collect things that are a little outside the mainstream. I don't plan to sell many of my books, but if I HAD to sell for some reason, e.g. if I needed an operation that insurance wouldn't cover or some extreme situation like that, I'd be lucky to get half what I've paid for my collection. My auction wins usually look like this:

Me (winner?): $3,000

Underbidder: $2,900

3rd highest: $1,400

Take me out of the equation, and the book I paid $3,000 for sells for $1,500, half what I paid. (I think I'm slightly manic depressive, and I think auctions bring out the manic side. I wouldn't wish my buying history on my worst enemy.) The only way I can justify it is by looking at my comic book money as spending money, not money invested. After all, somebody spending the same kind of money on leisure travel (which is easy enough to do) wouldn't get any of it back in the same situation.

Tough to gauge these things. Third highest bidder might have kept bidding -- or somebody else might have begun bidding -- if the price hadn't climbed above, say, $2,500. I know I was watching that Adventure 48 and would probably have bid if it looked to end significantly lower than it did.

Ankur

Russ will jump in and take my place.

(thumbs u

I do love Adventures. Especially unrestored copies that sell way under guide.

By the way, there has been known manipulation of coin auctions by groups of people who collect a certain category. They all agree that they will take turns to bid and win an item when it comes up, so not to raise the prices for each other. And then they inflate the prices in the after market.

It is not common or easy, but it is done.

By the way, there has been known manipulation of coin auctions by groups of people who collect a certain category. They all agree that they will take turns to bid and win an item when it comes up, so not to raise the prices for each other. And then they inflate the prices in the after market.

its also illegal (collusion )

:(>>> [font:Times New Roman]That's disheartening on several levels. Undoubtably it creates an atmosphere of cynicism and distrust in the coin collecting community.[/font]

[font:Times New Roman]Very true, although there's probably little to deter that kind of conspiracy given the burden of proof involved.

Unfortunately, charlatans persist in every field of endeavor. In a perfect world ...or rather, well above it... we'd simply jettison the blaggards out of an air-lock and be done with 'em, but alas, that option isn't among the remedies available.

Irrespective of hobby, the constant vigilance of experienced collectors is required to expose market manipulation and protect the community at large. [/font] ca.gif

It is illegal? I see posts occasionally on this site where poster X says he didn't bid on a book out of deference to poster y. That doesn't seem illegal.

It is illegal? I see posts occasionally on this site where poster X says he didn't bid on a book out of deference to poster y. That doesn't seem illegal.

google collusion...what you are refering to is not the same thing as collusion (thumbs u