• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dragon Con is a den of hedonism?

94 posts in this topic

So let's take this to the next step for a second. If Georgia convicts him of the crimes does that give the remaining owners of DragonCon an out that allows them to buy him out or cut ties in some way legally?

TO simplify things, it becomes infinitely easier to do so.

We did Drangon Con for about 5 years from 2000 to 2005. We had no idea at the time the back story of the show. I only found out in 2006 when the guy who played leatherface was set up next to me at a show and gave me the low down.

I did not like the show. I did not like some of the people walking around. I didn't even like the promotors who were there. Im glad that this show is off our map.

The only cool thing about the show was that the Cinncinatti Reds were in the hotel playing the Atlanta Braves and I got to talk to Ed Nuxall, the broadcaster for the Reds. I had no idea who is was while talking to him. He was asking me about the show when over comes Ken Griffey Jr. and starts talking to both of us (I knew who he was since I have everyone of his Rookie cards). He was really nice and while he wouldn't sign autographs for any adults there, I asked him to take a picture with me. He said no problem, grabbed my camera, gave it to some rookie who was like 6 foot 8 (Adam Dunn) and took a picture with me.

So there is the only cool thing that happened at the show. The rest I could do with out. And mind you, at the time, it was one of my best shows. Also the highest booth prices in the country at the time,

Jeff

Re: Dr. Banner's post (for some reason the reply didn't work:)

That sounds like the first year I went, '97. There was Hotter Than Hell (the KISS tribute band) and then the Bettie Page Fashion Show, featuring a performance by Torture Garden, who were some sort of s&M performance art deal. I remember that the show got shut down, not because of the gals getting flogged in public, but because there was a lit candle on stage, which apparently was a no no with the fire marshall.

That was my first year. Shortly thereafter I was wandering around lobby of the convention center and was approached by a guy in a leather harness who politely told me "The bus to Sodom is getting ready to leave." I declined, as I don't swing that way, but it was nice to be asked.

I did not like DragonCon - way too big and too many people - it was a mess. However, being single at the time and an artist vendor - I did manage to take advantage of the den of hedonism two out of the three nights I was there. :banana:

I work with a guy who thinks Ed is guilty because he was at a party hosted by Ed when he was a teenager and he thought Ed was "creepy". I asked him if there was anything specific or improper that Ed did. His answer was "no". He knows Pat Henry very well and he could not provide any specific instances to back his belief other than what has been presented in the media

I knew Ed's caretaker when he was under house arrest in Georgia. She swore he was innocent and that Ed had made some enemies through his past business dealings. She named some of the people and pointed me to past articles where these people were trying to publicly destroy the man even before the current accusations arose. This woman was ex-military and had a masculine appearance. She told me that some of instances where he is accused of being with a young boy... the person was actually her. She complained a lot about him. Several things make me believe her. First, she didn't like him, Why defend someone you don't like? Second, her defense of him actually was actually advertising the fact she looked boyish. Third, she was able to provide a very plausible back story to explain all the accusations against him.

I see Nancy Collins name appear wherever Ed's name appears online. She *may* have been one of the people that came out on the short end of a business dealing with Ed prior to all these accusations. I don't know who she is, but her name looks familiar and it might be one of the names that Ed's caretaker had told me about.

If Ed is guilty, I hope the delays end soon and he gets his full punishment under the law. I'm apprehensive about jumping on the "boycott Dragon Con" bandwagon because I believe Pat truly would like to sever his business connections with Ed as soon as possible. If you adhere to Christian beliefs, the parable of the wheat and the tares not only describes the appropriate reaction to this dilemma, but it also explains why good and evil coexist at all.

As far as the convention being a den of hedonism.... Tony may have just boosted attendance with his complaints. The thought of dressing up like a Storm Trooper, leaving the basement and actually having sex with a female is heaven to some of the people I've seen there.

DG

You just explained all of the past but none of this explains him getting arrested in 2011 in Connecticut and being subsequently extradited back to Georgia.

I can't justify his choice, but he is in advanced stages of diabetes from my understanding and does require someone to assist him due to his health problems. Healthcare professionals are not cheap when paying by the day. It is not unfathomable to me that he might have chosen someone who would help for less pay.

Yeah, what IS the daily rate for a 14 year old boy 'health care professional' who'll illegally follow you out of state and set up camp in a hotel room? You say you can't justify his choice, but that sounds like that's exactly what you're doing.

He should be locked up if he isn't adhering to the terms by which he was released. All I'm really saying is that he needs to go to trial rather than judge him on bits and pieces of biased hearsay. I don't know of anyone that particularly likes the man or agrees with the choices he's made. That doesn't make him guilty. Does he look like he could entice a teenager into sexual acts?

Bad defense. His money is still green, and there are plenty of desperate homeless young people around to be victimized.

Why you're even defending him with a statement like this is puzzling.

All the initial accusations about him came out weeks after a bitter split with the mom of three boys. Do you think it might be possible that she was pissed about losing access to his income and the boys were coached into saying things happened? I'm not saying that's the case, but it is a possibility.

OR, the split could've occurred because of the sexual misconduct. You're speculating no differently than the other side.

The evidence should speak for itself and in a court of law, not in front of a public lynch mob that knows only what his critics want them to know.

Public lynch mob?

When did this guy get lynched?

I agree it's best not to make a definitive decision on if he's guilty based upon not knowing the complete story, but lets hold back on painting him as a crucified martyr just yet as well. Despite all the mud slinging, he's been free for 11 years from going to court and still pulling in income from the convention.

He's been accused of a heinous crime. He's used lawyers to keep it out of court and keep himself free. He's left the state illegally and set himself up in a hotel room with a 14 year old boy. That was in 2011!!!

Now he's dragged this on even further.

You'd think if he was that worried about his name getting dragged through the mud, at some point he'd want to go to court and defend himself.

I know the system isn't always fair, but at a certain point why wouldn't someone decide to fight back and clear their name?

He had a female of legal age taking care of him in Georgia. She was basically assisting for room and board if my memory is correct. If you replace free health care assistance with a bill of $100 a day, surely you can imagine why someone in poor health might choose the cheaper alternative. I'm not painting him as a martyr. It seems quite clear that people are publicly deciding him guilty when the court itself has not decided. All I'm saying is that the legal system should be allowed to do it's role. Having a 14 year old in his motel room is idiotic and worthy of him being locked up again. Hopefully, this will speed up the justice process.

DG

This thread has a horrible lack of pictures...

Let's see if we can spot the hedonism in these pictures from 2010

Lusting after comic sketches from Neal Adams?

20100903_Dragoncon_pic003.jpg

Phallic shaped cosplayer?

20100904_Dragoncon_pic001.jpg

Naked Aliens?

20100904_Dragoncon_pic003.jpg

A samurai? A harp? Artwork?

20100904_Dragoncon_pic006.jpg

Comic creators? Cell phones?

20100904_Dragoncon_pic008.jpg

Original art?

20100904_Dragoncon_pic023.jpg

I see thigh in that picture behind Linsner!

20100904_Dragoncon_pic012.jpg

Signatures?

20100904_Dragoncon_pic018.jpg

Hmmm! Maybe this is it... a wardrobe of pasties, shorts and body paint!!!

20100904_Dragoncon_pic033.jpg

Well, maybe that's not always a good thing...

20100904_Dragoncon_pic039.jpg

DG

We did Drangon Con for about 5 years from 2000 to 2005. We had no idea at the time the back story of the show. I only found out in 2006 when the guy who played leatherface was set up next to me at a show and gave me the low down.

I did not like the show. I did not like some of the people walking around. I didn't even like the promotors who were there. Im glad that this show is off our map.

The only cool thing about the show was that the Cinncinatti Reds were in the hotel playing the Atlanta Braves and I got to talk to Ed Nuxall, the broadcaster for the Reds. I had no idea who is was while talking to him. He was asking me about the show when over comes Ken Griffey Jr. and starts talking to both of us (I knew who he was since I have everyone of his Rookie cards). He was really nice and while he wouldn't sign autographs for any adults there, I asked him to take a picture with me. He said no problem, grabbed my camera, gave it to some rookie who was like 6 foot 8 (Adam Dunn) and took a picture with me.

So there is the only cool thing that happened at the show. The rest I could do with out. And mind you, at the time, it was one of my best shows. Also the highest booth prices in the country at the time,

Jeff

That's awesome, you go to a comic book show and get your picture made with a HOF to be baseball player and make one of our former Chattanooga Lookouts take the picture. :applause: That's just how it is though. Atlanta always has multiple events going on the weekend of DC. So much so it has become a big problem of late with the Chik fil a bowl fans "interacting" with the DC people.

Well. Dragon Con sounds a bit different to Supanova.

Don't get me started on kiddie fiddlers. It'll end in a lock. But safe to say I'm passionately anti-sexual offenders of all forms for multiple reasons.

If Kramer is found guilty, and it sounds likely that he would be, then end him. Every time I hear of someone who is able to one way or another pervert the course of justice by delaying trials or some other BS technicality, it makes my blood boil and it diminishes my faith in the justice system.

Until he gets prosecuted and the details of the case him are laid out, it's premature to make a judgment.

The allegations are horrible, and next to none of the actual details of the proof against him have been shown before the court. Opining now would be a guess, and a reckless one.

:news:

[font:Book Antiqua]DragonCon co-founder Ed Kramer pleaded guilty this morning to child-molestation charges[/font]

Link...

Until he gets prosecuted and the details of the case him are laid out, it's premature to make a judgment.

The allegations are horrible, and next to none of the actual details of the proof against him have been shown before the court. Opining now would be a guess, and a reckless one.

:news:

[font:Book Antiqua]DragonCon co-founder Ed Kramer pleaded guilty this morning to child-molestation charges[/font]

Link...

:popcorn: