• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Modifies Stance on Grading Submissions with Tape

126 posts in this topic

If the tape serves a function....ignore it.

If it doesn't....downgrade for the tape.

Is that what I'm reading?

I'd be fine with them ignoring the repair AND downgrading for it being there.

This. Why downgrade for tape that serves no function but not when it serves a function? Does the benefit of the function reach an equilibrium with the damage done by the tape?

That's what I'm not getting.

What's an example of tape that "doesn't serve a function"?

Every piece of tape on a comic I've seen holds a cover on, stitches a tear or spine split, etc.

You don't just see them randomly placed on a cover or page... (shrug)

Every piece of tape on a comic I've seen holds a cover on, stitches a tear or spine split, etc.

I have. I had Avenger 1 2.5 that has a piece of tape on the cover serving no function.

Can we have a clarification in laymans term what exactly this means from the source??

I have a book that is getting sent in with tape that i cracked out for a press and clean that looks way better than grade. 1 peice of tape is holding a peice on the book on, and appears to have 2 other peices of tape that are doing nothing.

What is that going to do to the grade ???

You've never snagged a piece of tape on a cover while taking in in or out of a bag? Instead of pulling it off and taking part of the cover with it, many folks just trim it down as small as possible and leave it.

You've never snagged a piece of tape on a cover while taking in in or out of a bag? Instead of pulling it off and taking part of the cover with it, many folks just trim it down as small as possible and leave it.

Not in my bathroom we don't (tsk)

Examples:

Say you have a book that the spine of the cover is completely split - let's call it a FR/G or FR. If you put tape on it & re-attached the covers to eachother & to the interior it might get a Universal G/VG or VG. Now with this change it will still get the FR/G or the FR

If you have a NM book and you took it out of the poly bag and somehow a small piece of tape got stuck to the center of the back cover for no reason, it might get downgraded into the VF range.

All tape will be continued to be noted on the label.

There should be no bonus for using tape. This is what the general consensus was when we asked for opinions. Some did want us to view tape as restoration - but we felt this solution would help to stop the use of tape altogether. If we allowed tape into restoration, the cellophane tape would still degrade the book over time. We have plans for archival tape that we are still working on - for now archival tape fits the definition of restoration much better then cellophane tape does - and archival tape is what should be used.

Now there is no more bonus for adding tape to a book. It will take some adjusting for everyone, but in the long run - this is what is best for the books and for the future of our hobby. This is about protecting the books for generations.

If anyone would like to ask me any questions directly, please email plitch@cgccomics.com or PM me.

I hope I answered some of your questions. Have a great night.

Can we have a clarification in laymans term what exactly this means from the source??

I have a book that is getting sent in with tape that i cracked out for a press and clean that looks way better than grade. 1 peice of tape is holding a peice on the book on, and appears to have 2 other peices of tape that are doing nothing.

What is that going to do to the grade ???

I believe the grade will go down due to the tape that is apparently doing nothing.

Examples:

Say you have a book that the spine of the cover is completely split - let's call it a FR/G or FR. If you put tape on it & re-attached the covers to each other & to the interior it might get a Universal G/VG or VG. Now with this change it will still get the FR/G or the FR

If you have a NM book and you took it out of the poly bag and somehow a small piece of tape got stuck to the center of the back cover for no reason, it might get downgraded into the VF range.

There should be no bonus for using tape. This is what the general consensus was when we asked for opinions. Some did want us to view tape as restoration - but we felt this solution would help to stop the use of tape altogether. If we allowed tape into restoration, the cellophane tape would still degrade the book over time. We have plans for archival tape that we are still working on - for now archival tape fits the definition of restoration much better then cellophane tape does - and it is what should be used.

Now there is no more bonus for adding tape to a book. It will take some adjusting for everyone, but in the long run - this is what is best for the books and for the future of our hobby. This is about protecting the books for generations.

If anyone would like to ask me any questions directly, please email plitch@cgccomics.com or PM me.

I'd say that this is a definite improvement. (thumbs u

Examples:

Say you have a book that the spine of the cover is completely split - let's call it a FR/G or FR. If you put tape on it & re-attached the covers to each other & to the interior it might get a Universal G/VG or VG. Now with this change it will still get the FR/G or the FR

There should be no bonus for using tape. This is what the general consensus was when we asked for opinions. Some did want us to view tape as restoration - but we felt this solution would help to stop the use of tape altogether. If we allowed tape into restoration, the cellophane tape would still degrade the book over time. We have plans for archival tape that we are still working on - for now archival tape fits the definition of restoration much better then cellophane tape does - and it is what should be used.

I'd say that this is a definite improvement. (thumbs u

+1 :applause:

You obviously don't own any older books that were "decorated" with taple I had a partial run of ASM's that had extra staples and tapes spines. They probably would have been VF to NM without the extra tape and staples. I also have books from the 50's/60's that must have been taped by kids when magic tape first came out.

It's amazing...but Tape was just a toy to some people.

Don't even get me started on nail polish and sparkles;)

Examples:

Say you have a book that the spine of the cover is completely split - let's call it a FR/G or FR. If you put tape on it & re-attached the covers to eachother & to the interior it might get a Universal G/VG or VG. Now with this change it will still get the FR/G or the FR

There should be no bonus for using tape. This is what the general consensus was when we asked for opinions. Some did want us to view tape as restoration - but we felt this solution would help to stop the use of tape altogether. If we allowed tape into restoration, the cellophane tape would still degrade the book over time. We have plans for archival tape that we are still working on - for now archival tape fits the definition of restoration much better then cellophane tape does - and archival tape is what should be used.

Oh the hypothetical helps me a lot more. I think I was fried from work. This makes sense. Nice call :applause: