• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Modifies Stance on Grading Submissions with Tape

126 posts in this topic

:applause:

A book with tape should be downgraded from it's "pre tape" condition, not upgraded. At least CGC has consistently (I beliieve) noted tape on the label, so we can now avoid the Scarlet Letter "tape on spine" "tape on inteior cover" "tape on centerfold" Universal books, realizing they are overgraded and would drop 1-2-3 grades upon re-submittal. So PGCMint, SparkleCity, and all the other "tapers" can suck on it...actually, they're probably laughing all the way to the bank. Alas, it's the buyers of those books that are now stuck with the overgraded/ tape damaged carp, better dump those losers asap fellas! :sumo:

:o

Truly, every book certified by CGC since it's inception with a "tape" notation on the label is hereby rendered overgraded, and the previous CGC grade is null and void. Is there any other way to interpret this? No, there is not. (tsk)

What a clusterfrack. :screwy:

A book with tape should be downgraded from it's "pre tape" condition, not upgraded. At least CGC has consistently (I beliieve) noted tape on the label, so we can now avoid the Scarlet Letter "tape on spine" "tape on inteior cover" "tape on centerfold" Universal books, realizing they are overgraded and would drop 1-2-3 grades upon re-submittal. So PGCMint, SparkleCity, and all the other "tapers" can suck on it...actually, they're probably laughing all the way to the bank. Alas, it's the buyers of those books that are now stuck with the overgraded/ tape damaged carp, better dump those losers asap fellas! :sumo:

Truly, every book certified by CGC since it's inception with a "tape" notation on the label is hereby rendered overgraded, and the previous CGC grade is null and void. Is there any other way to interpret this? No, there is not. (tsk)

Is there tape on my ASM 6? :o

:baiting:

Hush with this logic.

Better to start mopping up the mess now than to let it continue.

Is there tape on my ASM 6? :o

:baiting:

No! :acclaim:

Who would want an overgraded book with tape, how stupid is that? (shrug)

I like the new cgc ruling on tape. Seems no reason to use it anymore since there will not be a grade bump.

Now we have to be careful buying cgc books with tape graded prior to may 3rd as they should now grade lower if they are ever resubmitted.(edit: yeah what drbanner said)

Definitely a big step in the right decision for CGC. Big kudos to them :applause: I have a Bat 1 with detached covers that I left alone. I'm sure if I added tape to it, I would probably get a grade bump by a full point. I just don't see any good with tape at all.. Although I do have my Cap 1 with very old tape that was taped along the spine. I didn't mind that at all as it was not intentional.

Yeah, it really took some balls to do this so Kudos to CGC...not an easy decision, I'm sure, but definitely the right thing to do.

"beginning with submissions post-marked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book."

This was not drafted artfully. Especially the "but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book." That's inconsistent with the new standard that useless tape is a defect in and of itself and results in a punishment of the overall grade, even though the actual condition of the book itself might be a high grade. E.g., an 8.0-looking book with tape.

I think this is what they meant (at least, this is how I would have drafted what I think they mean):

Effective submissions post-marked May 4, 2013 and thereafter, CGC shall grade books with tape as follows. In the event the tape appearing on a book serves a function (such as repairing a tear or spine split), CGC shall grade the book as if the tape was not present, and the defect repaired by the tape shall be taken into account in determining the overall grade of the book. In the event the tape appearing on a book serves no function at all, CGC shall treat the tape itself as a defect, and the presence of such tape shall reduce the overall grade of the book. Notwithstanding the foregoing, books with tape shall continue to receive a Universal Label, not the dreaded PLOD.

How often do we see tape that "does not serve a function" on a book????hm It would seem to me that this is infrequent. So a 7.0-looking book has a minor spine-split and a tiny piece of tape is afixed thereto. Under the new grading standard, you keep the 7.0 grade because the tape "serves a function." But an otherwise sharp 7.0 book that has a piece of tape on the cover is not repairing anything (i.e., it "serves no function") now gets slapped down to a, say, 5.0 because, under the new standard, the tape is a "defect." I think under these two examples we get a perverse result that I don't think CGC intended.

The vague language -- "but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book" -- I think is meant to prevent over-grading of taped books. But using my taped-7.0 example, then you really have more of a VG-ish book.

In my opinion, they need to re-draft their new grading standard, because it is far from clear, at least not to me.

Next up on the grading correction agenda is this. What's the real grade of books with big 'ole honker ink pen scrawling across the font cover? CGC needs to give these books a real grade and authenticate the signature separately, is this even a 6.0? I don't think so...this book needs a green label, not a yellow label. :screwy:

av4ssga10.jpg

upon - Brown Label goodness.

Next up on the grading correction agenda is this. What's the real grade of books with big 'ole honker ink pen scrawling across the font cover? CGC needs to give these books a real grade and authenticate the signature separately, is this even a 6.0? I don't think so...this book needs a green label, not a yellow label. :screwy:

av4ssga10.jpg

av4ssga10.jpg

:facepalm:

The book is a 9.2

The CGC received payment to ignore the writing on the cover. Has cake and eats it to.

Examples:

Say you have a book that the spine of the cover is completely split - let's call it a FR/G or FR. If you put tape on it & re-attached the covers to eachother & to the interior it might get a Universal G/VG or VG. Now with this change it will still get the FR/G or the FR

If you have a NM book and you took it out of the poly bag and somehow a small piece of tape got stuck to the center of the back cover for no reason, it might get downgraded into the VF range.

All tape will be continued to be noted on the label.

There should be no bonus for using tape. This is what the general consensus was when we asked for opinions. Some did want us to view tape as restoration - but we felt this solution would help to stop the use of tape altogether. If we allowed tape into restoration, the cellophane tape would still degrade the book over time. We have plans for archival tape that we are still working on - for now archival tape fits the definition of restoration much better then cellophane tape does - and archival tape is what should be used.

Now there is no more bonus for adding tape to a book. It will take some adjusting for everyone, but in the long run - this is what is best for the books and for the future of our hobby. This is about protecting the books for generations.

If anyone would like to ask me any questions directly, please email plitch@cgccomics.com or PM me.

I hope I answered some of your questions. Have a great night.

THAT'S the most important thing to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...

The impetus for this change was concerning comics that had spine splits or detached covers and tape was used to attach them to the interior. Those comics received grade bumps...

The reason I say this is I have had a few slabs with tape and in those case I believe the tape was factored into the grade. One had a single piece of tape on the cover not fixing any rip. Another (My JIM 85 3.5) has tape fixing a tear on the cover (inside). I don't think the books received any bump compared to the tape not being there.

The impetus for this change was concerning comics that had spine splits or detached covers and tape was used to attach them to the interior. Those comics received grade bumps...

The reason I say this is I have had a few slabs with tape and in those case I believe the tape was factored into the grade. One had a single piece of tape on the cover not fixing any rip. Another (My JIM 85 3.5) has tape fixing a tear on the cover (inside). I don't think the books received any bump compared to the tape not being there.

Is there a question in there somewhere? :baiting:

Another (My JIM 85 3.5) has tape fixing a tear on the cover (inside). I don't think the books received any bump compared to the tape not being there.

This book, if resubmitted, is now 2.0-2.5.

Mark, the way I interpret their less-than-clear tape-grading standard, the book that has a single piece of tape on the cover not fixing any rip receives a downgrade because the tape "does not serve a function" and, accordingly, the tape is considered a defect. On your JIM, the tape in fact "serves a function", and so the tape is not at all factored into the grade. The question then is, but for the presence of tape on your JIM, would the tear be substantial enough to lower the book into a sub-3.5 grade??

Another (My JIM 85 3.5) has tape fixing a tear on the cover (inside). I don't think the books received any bump compared to the tape not being there.

This book, if resubmitted, is now 2.0-2.5.

Depends on how long the tear is.