• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

I got here late ... why do we all hate each other now?

Apparently some people don't know how to just use the ignore function and move on. I'm seriously disappointed this tread hasn't died yet.

On the one side are the people who don't want to see any change to the comics, or the movies about the comics, ever. If you disagree with them you are labelled "Not a true fan of comics".

On the other side are those who are willing for comics to change and movies about them to change. If you disagree with them you are labelled a racist.

Both of these are hyperbole and ridiculous. So here's my plea. Can we just let this thread die?

Those are over-simplified versions of the "sides" that really don't fit everyone on either side.

Are you a politician?

:lol: ;):jokealert:

-slym

I got here late ... why do we all hate each other now?

Apparently some people don't know how to just use the ignore function and move on. I'm seriously disappointed this tread hasn't died yet.

On the one side are the people who don't want to see any change to the comics, or the movies about the comics, ever. If you disagree with them you are labelled "Not a true fan of comics".

On the other side are those who are willing for comics to change and movies about them to change. If you disagree with them you are labelled a racist.

Both of these are hyperbole and ridiculous. So here's my plea. Can we just let this thread die?

Those are over-simplified versions of the "sides" that really don't fit everyone on either side.

Are you a politician?

:lol: ;):jokealert:

-slym

Ok. That's it. I'm raising your taxes. (I hope that's not considered talking politics on the board.)

That's one simpleton's opinion, I suppose.

Wow who the heck is this guy...

He is a long-time boardie under a new name who used to be a regular but only posts sporadically these days. He'll endlessly chew on your leg like a pitbull if you disagree with him. He's similar to RMA but without the walls of text and with a greater appreciation for the value of being personable as opposed to endlessly combatative. Good to see him posting again. :applause::popcorn:

Have you seen The Incredibles?

I have... what's your point?

Wow, is that an act?

So, you have no point? Are you presuming that the mere existence of "The Incredibles" somehow validates a point you have yet to make?

Because The Incredibles was basically a retelling of the FF?

Was it? I don't remember it being set in the Marvel Universe, for starters... hm

Does it just take four people with superpowers to constitute a "retelling" of the FF story for you? If so, you should have no problem with a black Human Torch...

Yes, I don't understand this either. If Logan somehow managed to become enamored with all of the changes that the Incredibles made to the Fantastic Four and views it as "basically a retelling of the FF," why would he have such a problem with the minor change of Johnny Storm's race? I rather agree with him that the Incredibles is a great FF-like story--yet if you can enjoy that, what the heck does it really matter if they change something as minor as Johnny Storm's race?

Still thinking that changing Johnny's race is SIGNIFICANTLY less minor to some people than others. hm

Wow, is that an act?

So, you have no point? Are you presuming that the mere existence of "The Incredibles" somehow validates a point you have yet to make?

Was it? I don't remember it being set in the Marvel Universe, for starters... hm

Does it just take four people with superpowers to constitute a "retelling" of the FF story for you? If so, you should have no problem with a black Human Torch...

Yes, I don't understand this either. If Logan somehow managed to become enamored with all of the changes that the Incredibles made to the Fantastic Four and views it as "basically a retelling of the FF," why would he have such a problem with the minor change of Johnny Storm's race? I rather agree with him that the Incredibles is a great FF-like story--yet if you can enjoy that, what the heck does it really matter if they change something as minor as Johnny Storm's race?

Still thinking that changing Johnny's race is SIGNIFICANTLY less minor to some people than others. hm

Cuz white people are better? :shrug:

sw50sw8sw578.gif
No it's not.

Johnny Storm is Caucasian.

The Kingpin is Caucasian.

Nick Fury is Caucasian.

Electro is Caucasian.

Studios feeling the need to cram diversity down our throats is racist. There are many other hero's who are African-American that I would love to see, The Panther, The Falcon.

Sorry rantrant over

I don't think for a second this is some sort of affirmative action thing. Just pick the best man for the job. I'm color blind when it comes to casting as long as the choice is good.

+1 to you Kramerica

With what I've read about Stan, Jack and Steve, is that if they created the Marvel universe now, there would be more racial diversity in the characters, just like the movies are doing.

It just wasn't prudent back in the '60s.

If we really want to stay true to the start of the Marvel universe, almost half the villains should represent the "Red Peril" and the "Yellow Menace".

You know, angry Communist comrades threatening to bury the capitalists, along with fearsome Commissars and their slant eyed, buck toothed underlings vowing to defeat the freedom-loving Americans.

Those images might not play too well today.

If the modern retelling of these stories has dramatic action with humor and satire, and includes characters that have human problems and imperfections, then the movie makers achieved their goal of capturing the tone that made the Marvel silver-age popular.

That is what I enjoy about the latest Marvel movies, and I believe that's why they are so successful, despite the deviation from Marvel cannon.

That being said, I too would have enjoyed a fully realized Mandarin in IM3 (as I stated in another post) but it didn't ruin the story for me.

(thumbs u

Demographics will continue to drive the casting decisions in these movies. So-called "canon" (a laughable idea in comics) will lose over profitability every time.

If you're trying to represent the current demographics, especially in the U.S., then shouldn't they all be Mexican?

They can get their super powers while they are illegally launching themselves across the border in a homemade rocket, and get exposed to cosmic radiation.

IT'S A JOKE :jokealert:

But Hispanics are the fastest growing segment of the population currently.

Yeah---not gonna read through all 90 pages of this, but have folks mentioned that in the new Superman movie not only is Perry White black but also Jimmy Olsen's been changed to a (gasp!) GIRL?

Yeah---not gonna read through all 90 pages of this, but have folks mentioned that in the new Superman movie not only is Perry White black but also Jimmy Olsen's been changed to a (gasp!) GIRL?

tumblr_inline_mh42eruRRp1qggbxy.jpg

Wow, is that an act?

I didn't enjoy it and that wasn't my point sir.

That's a different thread.

I'm not well verse in DC comics but from what I recall, at least in the GA/SA/BA, Perry or Jimmy had no family as recurring characters so by changing them you don't alter the rest of the story one iota.

I'm not well verse in DC comics but from what I recall, at least in the GA/SA/BA, Perry or Jimmy had no family as recurring characters so by changing them you don't alter the rest of the story one iota.

Wow, really?

Wow, really?

Well, as long as you get past the whole Elasti-Lad/Elasti-Girl confusion, and if you think freckle-faced females look good wearing bow ties, then yeah, you're on the road to iota-less story alterations.

[font:Times New Roman]The biggest issue I have with movie producers changing the race or gender of characters to appeal to a more culturally diverse audience is that it's an especially insidious form of revisionism. In effect, it destroys the childhood memories of all those who grew up with the characters and whose purchases made the publishers successful.

History is history, regardless of whether it's fact-based or original fiction from another era. Folks should never take comfort from the revision of history or literature, good or bad, except as caricature (parody). There is no racism involved with wanting to see the characters you grew up with properly respected.

It's the proverbial slippery slope. When well intention folks re-envision content to create a new dynamic where does it end? In literature, it often leads down the path of sanitizing the works of authors like Faulkner and Twain to make their words and the deeds of their characters more palatable to specific audiences.

Much of America's fiction, written, illustrated and/or filmed prior to our becoming more enlightened and aware of the hurtful nature of bigotry has levels of race and gender bias. Reinvention doesn't make it go away, but it does draw attention to it in a negative way. These were products of their time and meant to be appreciated in context, not redacted or reinterpreted. My 2c [/font]