• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

It's not what you like, it's 'how' you like it. It's the obsessiveness that's a turn-off.

Disagree. The mere mention of comics used to elicit funny looks and exclamations of "how old are you again"? I don't know how it is in Canada, but being a comic book fan in the US with most civilians is synonymous with being emotionally retarded.

I can only go by my own experiences. No girls I've dated have had any problem with it.

Labeling someone as "emotionally retarded" for a harmless hobby is "emotionally retarded" in itself.

You've been very lucky :) Most guys here would probably say at most their wives "tolerate" their hobby.

I agree with you about labels, but it is what it is. In TV or movies when they want to show someone is stupid or a geek they use comic books as a shorthand for this.

How many comic book fans here on these boards refer to themselves as geeks or dorks? Quite a few. There's a stigma in the US when it comes to comic books and their fans and it's existed for at least the time I've been collecting and probably quite a bit longer.

My cousin is a huge car guy. He collects them and works on them for resale. His wife barely tolerates it. When I was in my early 20s, I spent a lot of time working towards a black belt; my gf at the time got really impatient because I was there every night.

I always assumed that the stigma with hobbies like this wasn't so much about the hobby itself, but the amount of time and energy people put into things that seem so trivial. Whether it's being a gym rat, working on cars, or collecting comics, I think it's the time, effort and money put in that gets resented. Let's face it, collectors tend to suffer a degree of OCD which drives them to collect, and obsessive behavior can get out of hand.

I understand what you're saying, but none of those hobbies is considered to be material meant for children, which is where a lot of the stigma comes from.

Could be. But if a girl judges you that harshly, she's doing you a favor; good to find out how dumb someone is before their name is on your house.

It's not what you like, it's 'how' you like it. It's the obsessiveness that's a turn-off.

Disagree. The mere mention of comics used to elicit funny looks and exclamations of "how old are you again"? I don't know how it is in Canada, but being a comic book fan in the US with most civilians is synonymous with being emotionally retarded.

I can only go by my own experiences. No girls I've dated have had any problem with it.

Labeling someone as "emotionally retarded" for a harmless hobby is "emotionally retarded" in itself.

You've been very lucky :) Most guys here would probably say at most their wives "tolerate" their hobby.

I agree with you about labels, but it is what it is. In TV or movies when they want to show someone is stupid or a geek they use comic books as a shorthand for this.

How many comic book fans here on these boards refer to themselves as geeks or dorks? Quite a few. There's a stigma in the US when it comes to comic books and their fans and it's existed for at least the time I've been collecting and probably quite a bit longer.

My cousin is a huge car guy. He collects them and works on them for resale. His wife barely tolerates it. When I was in my early 20s, I spent a lot of time working towards a black belt; my gf at the time got really impatient because I was there every night.

I always assumed that the stigma with hobbies like this wasn't so much about the hobby itself, but the amount of time and energy people put into things that seem so trivial. Whether it's being a gym rat, working on cars, or collecting comics, I think it's the time, effort and money put in that gets resented. Let's face it, collectors tend to suffer a degree of OCD which drives them to collect, and obsessive behavior can get out of hand.

I understand what you're saying, but none of those hobbies is considered to be material meant for children, which is where a lot of the stigma comes from.

Could be. But if a girl judges you that harshly, she's doing you a favor; good to find out how dumb someone is before their name is on your house.

:preach:

It's our hobby and its fun to discuss.

How is it any different than Plumber's talking about quality of tools or who they don't like as the head of the Plumber's union or what kind of sink Mrs. Jones has?

It's what we do. It's what we talk about.

It's our hobby and its fun to discuss.

How is it any different than Plumber's talking about quality of tools or who they don't like as the head of the Plumber's union or what kind of sink Mrs. Jones has?

It's what we do. It's what we talk about.

I agree 100% and I've never been ashamed of it, nor do I use the self defense mechanism of referring to myself as a geek or a dork preemptively.

Whoah! This thread is still alive? hm

Yeah, but now it's Nerds United because someone mentioned that chicks don't dig comics.

So, alive but mutated.

And when confronted with that stigma, we quote the stories that were above and beyond the children's fare associated with comics, and many of those are the original stories created back in the day, are the essence of what makes some of these characters appealing.

And when confronted with that stigma, we quote the stories that were above and beyond the children's fare associated with comics, and many of those are the original stories created back in the day, are the essence of what makes some of these characters appealing.

I'd go the route of mocking something they like in return. There's often no shortage of stuff to mock.

QFT

-slym

And is it so wrong that we think that a movie, based on our love of those same stories, not suck sour frog @$$ and stay pretty close to how the comics are?

-slym

And is it so wrong that we think that a movie based on our love of those same stories not suck sour frog @$$ and stay pretty close to how the comics are?

-slym

We're the "oddballs". If we were on a car forum I could understand, but we're on a comic book forum and we still stick out like sore thumbs. Makes ya think, don't it.

I do find it mildly humourous and a little odd, at the same time, that people say they just want a comic movie with a good story and don't care what gets changed to make it, and yet the comics are FILLED with good stories that don't need to be changed but maybe the slightest to fit a movie adaptation.

:shrug:

Some of these movies are not bad, if you think of the characters as not the person they are supposed to portray. X-Men First Class was a great movie, actually, had they not been supposed to be anything related to the X-Men.

-slym

I do find it mildly humourous and a little odd, at the same time, that people say they just want a comic movie with a good story and don't care what gets changed to make it, and yet the comics are FILLED with good stories that don't need to be changed but maybe the slightest to fit a movie adaptation.

:shrug:

Some of these movies are not bad, if you think of the characters as not the person they are supposed to portray. X-Men First Class was a great movie, actually, had they not been supposed to be anything related to the X-Men.

-slym

I kind of felt that way about the first X-Men movie. Decent popcorn action / adventure movie, just not a good X-Men movie.