• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bidding on taped books?

125 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Are collectors going to factor in the changes that CGC made with regards to non functional tape in the amount they are willing to bid on comics with tape?

I know most buyers factor defects such as this already in the amount they are willing to bid but will it be even more so since the new rule introduction coming?

Tom

Hey guys,

Are collectors going to factor in the changes that CGC made with regards to non functional tape in the amount they are willing to bid on comics with tape?

I know most buyers factor defects such as this already in the amount they are willing to bid but will it be even more so since the new rule introduction coming?

Tom

On taped books graded before the announcement, yes, definitely.

Hey guys,

Tom

On taped books graded before the announcement, yes, definitely.

Here on the boards, I'd agree...but on eBay? I doubt it, I don't think CGC published an announcement in the papers and people who are not connected to this site somehow, probably won't know.

I always bid less on taped books (unless I didn't notice the tape) so for the most part, it would not affect me in the least.

I already saw a book for sale on the Boards with tape priced at 'pre-announcement' FMV. Normally, I probably would have made an offer but I did not. I am too afraid the FMV will drop considerably.

In my mind, the label grade on any pre-announcement slabbed book with tape is now invalidated. It would be silly not to bid with that in mind.

I don't think that's quite right....it depends on what the tape is doing. If it's clear that the book has been applied to the cover to keep it from getting a detached grade, then yes, I agree. But if it was applied 30 years by a kid for preventative reasons (and also not on the cover), that's a different story.

In my mind, the label grade on any pre-announcement slabbed book with tape is now invalidated. It would be silly not to bid with that in mind.

I don't think that's quite right....it depends on what the tape is doing. If it's clear that the book has been applied to the cover to keep it from getting a detached grade, then yes, I agree. But if it was applied 30 years by a kid for preventative reasons (and also not on the cover), that's a different story.

I'm talking about tape that in CGC's mind "improved" the grade, regardless of whether it was applied by a dealer last month or a kid in 1942.

I'm talking about tape that in CGC's mind "improved" the grade, regardless of whether it was applied by a dealer last month or a kid in 1942.

Granted...but I think in most cases, those "improvements" were done by dealers, not kids.

Granted...but I think in most cases, those "improvements" were done by dealers, not kids.

I don't know that it's all that relevant who did it. CGC isn't trying to gauge intent.

I don't know that it's all that relevant who did it. CGC isn't trying to gauge intent.

:news: Tape is bad.

Tape on a comic has always been bad. Finally CGC acknowledges this. Don't buy taped books.

But if you really have to, bear in mind that tape is bad (i.e. detrimental to market value, and to the preservation of the book in question), mmm-kay?

tape applied in 1940s is much more appealing than 2013 tape lol. Although, I prefer neither.

I don't think anyone is saying don't buy taped books. In fact, you might see more buyers of taped books, those graded post-announcement, as CGC is finally grading them correctly.

tape applied in 1940s is much more appealing than 2013 tape lol. Although, I prefer neither.
i would think just the opposite. Tape applied in 1940 has already done 70 years of additional damage when compared to tape recently applied. From an intent standpoint I get what you are saying but from a comics' perspective that doesn't jive

Absolutely. If you get a cracked slab when it ships, it will come back two grades lower from CGC on a reholder.

Absolutely. If you get a cracked slab when it ships, it will come back two grades lower from CGC on a reholder.

I never considered that. This announcement precludes you from sending the book back to CGC for any reason. Ouch.