• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Trek Into Darkness

383 posts in this topic

Haven't seen it, and no plans to do so. Just glad that hack Abrams is moving on to the kind of kiddie he was born to work with.

I have been a huge Star Trek fan from the first time I saw the original series--which was the episode Arena. I was 4, and the Gorn was scary.

My wife, on the other hand, never really saw much Trek until we started watching Deep Space Nine together.

We went to Abrams' reboot--a die hard and a casual fan--and we both wanted to walk out. That movie was an absolute piece of garbage--script, acting, directing--all of it was abominable.

Saw it this evening, and my wife and I both liked it considerably better than IM3. My only complaint is that it seemed on a couple of occasions to be too self-referential.

Having been a long time fan of TOS, I have to agree that these first two movies have been heavy on action and light on the kind of idealistic awe that made Star Trek great in the first place. I'm hoping that as they move into the third movie the actors/characters are able to settle into their roles and the writers give them a bit more to work with. So far it only looks like Star Trek, it just doesn't feel like Star Trek yet.

Overall, I don't get the extreme praise that some want to heap onto the JJ Trek, and I don't get the extreme hate either. They have both been solid family/action pictures. They are just a bit too self-referential at times in my opinion.

Solid overall, and considering the tone set at the end of the picture, I'm optimistic that better pictures are in the offing.

Saw it in 3D a couple of days ago. Loved it! I'm a very casual Star Trek fan and I thought that this movie delivered from start to finish. Any new cinema goer could jump in and find this enjoyable and entertaining. For me, that's what it's all about.

The one tiny thing I would say is that it wasn't dark enough. They could have really gone haywire with that darkness.

The villain was incredible. Benedict Cumberbatch's voice and portrayal is worth the price of the ticket alone.

The villain was incredible. Benedict Cumberbatch's voice and portrayal is worth the price of the ticket alone.

:applause:

:whee:

The more I hear things like this, the more I want to see this movie.

We went to Abrams' reboot--a die hard and a casual fan--and we both wanted to walk out. That movie was an absolute piece of garbage--script, acting, directing--all of it was abominable.

Wow--you missed the movie, somehow. Rotten Tomatoes 95% and MRQE 81 are quite rare scores. Star Trek 2 used to be my favorite of the films with Star Trek: First Contact (the one with the Borg) being second, and Nemesis being third entirely because Tom Hardy's performance was fantastic, but the first Abrams film blew them all away. I suspect you're suffering from overly-heightened expectations as an adult, because most of the original Star Trek cast were worse actors than almost any of them in the Abrams film. Shatner is one of the most legendary overactors in Hollywood history, although he's so likable it doesn't much matter.

I saw it last night and I thought it pretty good but not as good as the first movie. I really liked the first one. Benedict Cumberbatch played a great villian. He was awesome.

What brought it down for me was "some" of the dialogue..too dated and a bit cheesy to me.

Still glad I went though!

If you are a ENTERPRISE fan you'll be pleased to see the NX-01 on a lineage table along side the Phoenix (from ST FC) and the Kelvin.

So he includes all three ships in a diagram shown in the movie?

If you are a ENTERPRISE fan you'll be pleased to see the NX-01 on a lineage table along side the Phoenix (from ST FC) and the Kelvin.

It's on a display table with Admiral Marcus Starfleet office (the table shows everything from the Apollo crafts to the most current Starfleet vessal the U.S.S. Vengeance)

Saw it today...

thought it was good but not as good as the first one. Thought there were a few too many one liners and ST in-jokes. Cumberbatch acted well in the part, but I think of Montalban as Khan so it was hard to believe him in the role.

Saw it on Sunday.

Very good movie, as enjoyable as the first. I have a couple of nitpicks with it but not enough that it pulled me out of the movie like Iron Man 3 did.

8/10 for me.

I will go see it again.

10/10 for me. Wonderful movie. Simply perfect

Saw it, liked it, but...

... exactly what I was afraid of is exactly what happened. It was too familiar with too many moments parallel to [font:Arial Black]The Wrath Of Kahn[/font]. I still think they could have remained true to the spirit of the original film series, but by bringing back a different adversary from the tv show. For example the early rumored Gary Mitchell- but the Gary Mitchell that the Shatner-Kirk fought- I never accepted someone as powerful as he was, albeit a rookie godling, could be so easily destroyed. I could see him repairing himself (slowly) and jumping realities, hunting Kirk down. And of course the Pine-Kirk wouldn't have a clue as to why his old friend is so powerful and wants to kill him. My 2c

And where's Finnegan?

Saw a private screening last week and John Cho, Simon Pegg, and "forgot the lady's name" who played the blonde daughter were special pre screening guests :) I thought it was better than the first and better than IM3---could be the summer hit movie.

8F663C21-CEBB-4A97-BFA7-EAEC31C0678D-1857-000000FB8CBB56A0_zpsb154da4d.jpg

Saw a private screening last week and John Cho, Simon Pegg, and "forgot the lady's name" who played the blonde daughter were special pre screening guests :) I thought it was better than the first and better than IM3---could be the summer hit movie.

8F663C21-CEBB-4A97-BFA7-EAEC31C0678D-1857-000000FB8CBB56A0_zpsb154da4d.jpg

Alice Eve is the name you are looking for.

Saw it today and thought it was good, yet predictable.

A fight broke out as we were waiting outside for the previous show to filter out, a guy started telling someone in line spoilers and why the movie was so good. 10+ people got kicked out. Die hard trekkies are passionate!

Surprises? They telegraphed everything a mile ahead of time. Very predictable, but much better than the first film.

I really think they have to spell everything out for the movie going public these days. It makes it not very fun to watch movies when they explain and show every single thing several times to make sure everyone is following it. Why cant they just show something happen or hint without saying it out loud and then having someone repeat it later. It reminds me of those horrible shows like criminal minds where they just explain everything all the time so the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons watching don't get lost.

Iron Man and Star Trek both suffered from this big time. I hope the rest of the summer there are a few real surprises that are not hinted to death and then explained out loud or the worst, spoiled in the trailer!

It's on a display table with Admiral Marcus Starfleet office (the table shows everything from the Apollo crafts to the most current Starfleet vessal the U.S.S. Vengeance)

They even had the super secret ship in the model line up doh!