• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will come after Modern?

56 posts in this topic

I think the1992-20?? age will be Iron age, and a new modern will come about. I think that there will still be print books made, otherwise one of the major entry points into the hobby will up and disappear (the LCS).

I don't really like reading comics on a screen, tbh. I like having the physical thing in my hand :shy:

A digital comic to me isn't "real." Even webcomics, when their creators come to Cons, I always get a print and a sketch if they are doing them, as those are both REAL items of a DIGITAL product. And no, you do not want to see my book (paperbacks, hardcovers, anything not a comic book) collection... it weights about 1000 lbs (not joking) xD

Everyone has their opinion..... but only one can be right.... and that's where I come in :baiting: ....... anything published after McFarlane's Spider-man 1 with multiple marketing covers is modern..... sorry. I bought 'em, I liked 'em..... Vertigo came out around then..... and basically nothing has changed since then. Like it says in Ecclesiastes.... "....there is nothing new under the Sun. All is Vanity and vexation of the spirit." .....it does make for interesting debate, however.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The Digital Age = The dark ages for comics

The good thing is that it will ultimately be followed by the Renaissance Age once everyone reminisces about the old days when their dad/mom used to read comics.

Copper should stop whenever the first chromium cover came out, and the Chromium Age should start then, ending at 2000. Then maybe between 2000 and whatever "we" deem the

start of the Digital Age should be... the Silicon Age.

IMHO, of course. ;)

-slym

Yah I don't think anything will come after modern. But what we commonly currently refer to modern, might be named something else.

Seemingly some other type of metal, my fingers are crossed for platinum or nickel.

It can't be platinum, as the platinum age pre-dates the golden age. Victorian age pre-dates platinum.

I think the1992-20?? age will be Iron age, and a new modern will come about. I think that there will still be print books made, otherwise one of the major entry points into the hobby will up and disappear (the LCS).

I don't really like reading comics on a screen, tbh. I like having the physical thing in my hand :shy:

A digital comic to me isn't "real." Even webcomics, when their creators come to Cons, I always get a print and a sketch if they are doing them, as those are both REAL items of a DIGITAL product. And no, you do not want to see my book (paperbacks, hardcovers, anything not a comic book) collection... it weights about 1000 lbs (not joking) xD

Do you still buy CDs? I do.. But there are kids at my work that never have. They look at me funny.

Hope the same thing doesn't happen with comics.

The Digital Age = The dark ages for comics

The good thing is that it will ultimately be followed by the Renaissance Age once everyone reminisces about the old days when their dad/mom used to read comics.

Why would the Digital Age be a 'dark ages' for comics? (shrug)

Mom and Dad may be more likely to sample comics "on demand", like the books they enjoy, rather than drag their butts out their beach chairs to go find a LCS.

Did a quick screen-grab of a goodreads page, a 'what's hot' / 'most read' click-through-to-buy-if-interested site. Notice there's a "comic book" sitting among all the novels, so Mom might be intrigued... if she can download it digitally within a few clicks. Easy access being the opposite of "dark ages".

goodreads.jpg

I think digital makes the most sense - but much more likely to happen is that what we've been calling modern will be renamed to something else. I base this on past history.

The term Silver Age wasn't commonly used until the Silver Age was nearly over (the popular term was "second heroic age") and those of us collecting during the bronze age didn't know it wasn't still the Silver age.

Everyone has their opinion..... but only one can be right.... and that's where I come in :baiting: ....... anything published after McFarlane's Spider-man 1 with multiple marketing covers is modern..... sorry. I bought 'em, I liked 'em..... Vertigo came out around then..... and basically nothing has changed since then. Like it says in Ecclesiastes.... "....there is nothing new under the Sun. All is Vanity and vexation of the spirit." .....it does make for interesting debate, however.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I dunno...when doctors start printing organs for transplants, I'll concede that there's something new under the sun.

Chromium Age (1992 – 2004)

Modern Age (2004 - ?)

The current modern age (2004 - ?) will be named either Silicon or Digital Age due to the influence of technology & media on the hobby.

That's why I dubbed the age after Chromium the Silicon Age, but Digital Age should be the one that is "now," as comics are becoming digital entities, unlike in the early 2000's.

Again, all IMHO.

;)

-slym

Nailing down the beginning of the Digital Age will be interesting, probably endlessly debated.

Would it be when ComiXology came online?

Maybe it began when all the major publishers joined forces to shut down that mega-popular online "comic book library" reading site?

Or did it begin much further back than that, with the "DCP digital comics preservation" movement?

Nailing down the beginning of the Digital Age will be interesting, probably endlessly debated.

Would it be when ComiXology came online?

Maybe it began when all the major publishers joined forces to shut down that mega-popular online "comic book library" reading site?

Or did it begin much further back than that, with the "DCP digital comics preservation" movement?

It began the day I joined The Boards, obvs.