• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where have all the keys gone....OR, the decline of western civilization in comic

50 posts in this topic

Was reading through some discussions in the copper age forum that prompted this.

There seem to be many people who would say that there have been either very few or NO key books since the 1970's.

When i hear this I take that to mean that everything for the last 30 some odd years has been a re-hashing of earlier happenings in comics and nothing original or important has been done.

I take great issue with this as I am a firm believer of exactly the opposite and think that we are entering a new golden age of comics and we just don't know it yet.

The books that have been released in the last 20-25 years have some of the best written and without a doubt best drawn art in the history of comics.

Lets take a look at what I consider to be some key happenings over the last few decades:

Sandman #1 - the introduction of the Vertigo series of books as well as a defining character and characters within the DC Universe. The storytelling over the life of this series was fantastic and while the early art was not great it became spectacular as the series went on

The Killng Joke - To me, this book defines the copper age and is one of the best stories of all time

New Mutants 98 - Introduction of one of the most popular characters in history. Leifeld wasnt anywhere near as bad an artist at this point as people claimed and the stories were pretty decent

TMNT #1 - THe beginning of one of the biggest character franchises in the last 50 years

ASM 300 - nuff said

Bone #1 - Largely ignored initially but now recognized for its greatness

All of this was said to make the point that the last 30 years have not been the "lost in the desert" phase that many old farts make it sound like and that there has been and still are great hings happening in the comic business

Walking dead 1 the king of all comic books

For a modern book and for today, yes.........but when the show finally ends and the dust settles we will see how it works out......I hope so though, as I have my #1 nicely hoarded away... 2c

Sandman #1 - the introduction of the Vertigo series of books as well as a defining character and characters within the DC Universe. The storytelling over the life of this series was fantastic and while the early art was not great it became spectacular as the series went on

I always considered Saga of the Swamp Thing 21 on the early path into Vertigo. Then Hellblazer and Sandman right after.

The Killng Joke - To me, this book defines the copper age and is one of the best stories of all time

:applause:

I think ASM 700 could become a key in time.

I would agree, heck I even like the new Superior, but we all know its going back eventually to Amazing. Spiderman will always have a following.

Thoughts on Peter P , Saga, NWM , TOT??

Great topic. Today's keys are tomorrows (potentially) highly sought after books. I dig the show The Toy Hunter. All those toys from the 80's are seeing a huge uptick in demand for the nostalgia effect from folks getting to a point in their life when they can start to afford to collect them. The same can be true for comics (but not always). It's tough to gauge what will be in demand in the future, but I bought a Spawn #1 last year (a book I wanted as a kid) for $16.

There are a lot of Modern Keys out there to find.

In the 70s there's a zillion keys in Marvel alone. Lots of characters debuting.

Wolverine

Nightcrawler

Sabretooth

Punisher

Ghostrider

Colossus

Moon Knight

Iron Fist

Luke Cage

Mystique

Ms Marvel

Thanos

Nova

Bullseye

And probably many more making first appearances in comic books. At the time they weren't considered key like they are now but we are starring to see interest in copper characters like:

Apocalypse

Mr Sinister

Cable (getting hot again)

Darkhawk

Deadpool just keeps getting hotter

Gambit sees peaks and valleys solid $40 guaranteed

Bishop

Carnage

The key first appearance books I predict that will be stupid valuable from Marvel in the future:

X-23

Fantomex

Flash Thompson as Venom

Superior Spider-Man

Winter Soldier

That's about it for now. Marvel keeps having yearly event books that in my estimation are the equivalent to a story arc in The Avengers in the 70s. Age of Ultron should be told in a regular Avengers comic.

Wolverine

Nightcrawler

Sabretooth

Punisher

Ghostrider

Colossus

Moon Knight

Iron Fist

Luke Cage

Mystique

Ms Marvel

Thanos

Nova

Bullseye

And probably many more making first appearances in comic books. At the time they weren't considered key like they are now but we are starring to see interest in copper characters like:

Apocalypse

Mr Sinister

Darkhawk

Bishop

Carnage

The key first appearance books I predict that will be stupid valuable from Marvel in the future:

X-23

Fantomex

Flash Thompson as Venom

Superior Spider-Man

Winter Soldier

That's about it for now. Marvel keeps having yearly event books that in my estimation are the equivalent to a story arc in The Avengers in the 70s. Age of Ultron should be told in a regular Avengers comic.

Darkhawk :cloud9:

Wolverine

Nightcrawler

Sabretooth

Punisher

Ghostrider

Colossus

Moon Knight

Iron Fist

Luke Cage

Mystique

Ms Marvel

Thanos

Nova

Bullseye

Apocalypse

Mr Sinister

Darkhawk

Bishop

Carnage

X-23

Fantomex

Flash Thompson as Venom

Superior Spider-Man

Winter Soldier

I now have two Darkhawk 1 in 9.8 ;-)

It will be interesting to see what characters the current generation of kids latch onto as they get older. The last decade of well done Batman and Marvel movies has sparked an interest among my niece and nephew and their friends. These and shows on Disney xD are gateways just like X-Men the animated series was for a bunch of my friends.

Speaking of getting them while they are young, my nephew is digging Lookouts.

It will be interesting to see what characters the current generation of kids latch onto as they get older. The last decade of well done Batman and Marvel movies has sparked an interest among my niece and nephew and their friends. These and shows on Disney xD are gateways just like X-Men the animated series was for a bunch of my friends.

I think we are the only two people on this forum that know how good Lookouts is.

Wolverine

Nightcrawler

Sabretooth

Punisher

Ghostrider

Colossus

Moon Knight

Iron Fist

Luke Cage

Mystique

Ms Marvel

Thanos

Nova

Bullseye

Apocalypse

Mr Sinister

Darkhawk

Bishop

Carnage

X-23

Fantomex

Flash Thompson as Venom

Superior Spider-Man

Winter Soldier

I now have two Darkhawk 1 in 9.8 ;-)

:golfclap:

I am going to hold off stating how many I have right now...I have a few on their way to CGC or Joey. lol it became an addiction.

I think we are the only two people on this forum that know how good Lookouts is.

I know, man. Lookouts, Prophet and Think Tank are some of favorites. All get good reviews, but sales numbers don't follow. I can see why this is with Prophet. It may not be some people's cup of tea.

Wolverine

Nightcrawler

Sabretooth

Punisher

Ghostrider

Colossus

Moon Knight

Iron Fist

Luke Cage

Mystique

Ms Marvel

Thanos

Nova

Bullseye

Apocalypse

Mr Sinister

Darkhawk

Bishop

Carnage

X-23

Fantomex

Flash Thompson as Venom

Superior Spider-Man

Winter Soldier

I hadn't thought about it in those terms before, but you are dead right that these events should just feature in the regular titles. :applause:

I think ASM 700 could become a key in time.

I would agree, heck I even like the new Superior, but we all know its going back eventually to Amazing. Spiderman will always have a following.

Thoughts on Peter P , Saga, NWM , TOT??

I doubt it on ASM 700. I love the whole storyline and Superior is fantastic, but what is going on here, I see similar to the clone saga. Probably not going to be a key.

The other books you mention, I love Peter Panzerfaust, but the book isn't going to go on forever.

Saga, it depends on how long BKV takes it. The longer it lasts, the more chance of being a key down the line.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned what I consider to be the real sleeper key that will crush most all other books twenty years down the line - Invincible #1.

Although I'm mainly a modern guy, personally there are only a few books that I really want for my own collection that I don't have. Those would be Bone 1 and YtLM #1. I'd consider both keys.