• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wraps on hard to find GA.

18 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

I am uming and arring on whether I should bid on the following book. So I thought I would solicit some opinions from you on how you feel about miswraps.

Harvey Comics Library 1 is hard to find in high grade and this copy ties for 2nd highest on census. The PQ is great and the colors are strong but the miswrap really annoys me. On the black cover it is very distracting.

Would you bid? how much would you discount for miswrap?

TADS_zps732155fa.jpg

Miswraps are more noticable on dark covers like this. Otherwise a stellar copy.

I would bid on a book like this where your choices are limited. You probably won't see another- unless you just can't bear the wrap.

if it was a book i needed, i'd go after it full-bore, no discount. for sure, there's somebody out there who is going to go after it like that.

My feeling is if you aren't happy with it why bid on it? Get it if you like it. Wait if you don't.

Hi Guys

I am uming and arring on whether I should bid on the following book. So I thought I would solicit some opinions from you on how you feel about miswraps.

Harvey Comics Library 1 is hard to find in high grade and this copy ties for 2nd highest on census. The PQ is great and the colors are strong but the miswrap really annoys me. On the black cover it is very distracting.

TADS_zps732155fa.jpg

I would go for it. I have a number of books that have significant miswraps. If the book is scarce, my feeling is to get the book while I can. If a better copy comes along, I can always upgrade later.

I know folks that wont buy a book with the slightest degree of miswrap. Others don't give a flip. It affects the sale price on Bronze and Silver Age books significantly, not so much on GA. There rarer it is, the less it reduces price. I agree with Straw-man, it'll go for top dollar, miswrap or not.

Miswraps don't bother me much on GA books. It seems that SA & BA collectors hate it and that is understandable. SA & BA books are so common that there is no need to pay top dollar for a copy that is off-center or miscut. On Golden Age, it is less of a problem unless it is a gross printing error that is way off the mark.

My feeling is if you aren't happy with it why bid on it? Get it if you like it. Wait if you don't.

Translation: "It's mine, back off!"

I'd love to have it but won't be bidding on it.

Seriously, if someone is uncertain enough about how they will feel about the looks of a miswrapped book, especially one that is probably going to go for a pretty strong price, then why bid? They will probably not be that in love with it even if they win it.

Seriously, if someone is uncertain enough about how they will feel about the looks of a miswrapped book, especially one that is probably going to go for a pretty strong price, then why bid? They will probably not be that in love with it even if they win it.

I'm with MrB. Buy what you like and buy the book not the label.

Hi Guys

TADS_zps732155fa.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]I'm probably going to get pummeled for this, but it seems that posting this kind of query during an auction may not be the best forum etiquette, and please correct me if I'm wrong. :sorry:

Why? (shrug)

Well, first of all, any of the collectors/dealers who frequent this forum may actually own that book or at the very least have knowledge of who owns it. IOW, this kind of inquiry places some potential responders in an awkward position.

Secondly, this sort of query alerts everyone in the forum to your interest in a specific book, both dealers and competing bidders. There are many ways it can work against you, but few that provide any advantage.

Finally, a better way to request input on an ongoing auction item would've been to PM two or three boardies to ask their objective opinions (folks you trust who don't own that specific book and aren't competing for it). Alternatively, engage in a more general discussion of mis-wraps using a variety of examples. Just my 2c

Apologies if this throws cold water on your query. I know your question was innocently placed and earnest and I'm not trying to stifle discussion in any way, shape or form. I have no dog in this hunt, but I'm concerned that overly critical discussions about the appeal of specific books during ongoing auctions might jeopardize bidding or affect the final realized price for the consignor. hm

[/font]

I'm with MrB. Buy what you like and buy the book not the label.

I agree as well. If the defect bothers you don't bid. Everyone has their own take on which defects are acceptable or not. I don't think it will affect the price much. All it takes is 2 people that want the book who value the rarity of the book not devalue the blemish.

This is what I was thinking. But I was hoping you guys might convince me to try and buy it. lol

Hi Guys

TADS_zps732155fa.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]I'm probably going to get pummeled for this, but it seems that posting this kind of query during an auction may not be the best forum etiquette, and please correct me if I'm wrong. :sorry:

Why? (shrug)

Well, first of all, any of the collectors/dealers who frequent this forum may actually own that book or at the very least have knowledge of who owns it. IOW, this kind of inquiry places some potential responders in an awkward position.

Secondly, this sort of query alerts everyone in the forum to your interest in a specific book, both dealers and competing bidders. There are many ways it can work against you, but few that provide any advantage.

Finally, a better way to request input on an ongoing auction item would've been to PM two or three boardies to ask their objective opinions (folks you trust who don't own that specific book and aren't competing for it). Alternatively, engage in a more general discussion of mis-wraps using a variety of examples. Just my 2c

Apologies if this throws cold water on your query. I know your question was innocently placed and earnest and I'm not trying to stifle discussion in any way, shape or form. I have no dog in this hunt, but I'm concerned that overly critical discussions about the appeal of specific books during ongoing auctions might jeopardize bidding or affect the final realized price for the consignor. hm

[/font]

I do not agree. The discussion of an auction item does not have to be behind closed doors. It was an honest and open discussion of the merits of a book. If the seller happens to be on the board they would be free to spruke the merits of it. No matter what is said in the forum the book remains the same book. If anything discussion should help the market price the book accurately.

If such discussion had to be behind closed doors all the 'how much will this Action 1/Tec 27/AF 15 go for?' threads would also be faux pas. For those mega keys the incentive for interested parties to lie and try push up prices is much higher.

As for disclosing my interest, that is my prerogative, I dont feel I have lost a tactical advantage in disclosing my interest. I know the maximum price I am willing to pay and that remains unchanged whether others know of my interest or not. I dont get into bididng wars so someone with a vested interest wont be able to drive my price higher.

If anything I have promoted that I am looking for a hard to find book and have increased my chances of another copy being offered to me.

This is what I was thinking. But I was hoping you guys might convince me to try and buy it. lol

Hi Guys

TADS_zps732155fa.jpg

Why? (shrug)

[/font]

I do not agree. The discussion of an auction item does not have to be behind closed doors. It was an honest and open discussion of the merits of a book. If the seller happens to be on the board they would be free to spruke the merits of it. No matter what is said in the forum the book remains the same book. If anything discussion should help the market price the book accurately.

If such discussion had to be behind closed doors all the 'how much will this Action 1/Tec 27/AF 15 go for?' threads would also be faux pas. For those mega keys the incentive for interested parties to lie and try push up prices is much higher.

As for disclosing my interest, that is my prerogative, I dont feel I have lost a tactical advantage in disclosing my interest. I know the maximum price I am willing to pay and that remains unchanged whether others know of my interest or not. I dont get into bididng wars so someone with a vested interest wont be able to drive my price higher.

If anything I have promoted that I am looking for a hard to find book and have increased my chances of another copy being offered to me.

[font:Times New Roman]If anything I've said offended you, it was unintentional, my concerns were voiced in a courteous manner. Apparently we don't see this matter in the same way, but no disrespect was intended.

I've said what I thought needed to be said, and if you don't mind, I'll leave the discussion where it is and move on. I can't see how further debate on this topic will benefit anyone. Again, my apologies for any misunderstanding. Good luck on the auction and if you do not win, all the best on finding another copy that meets your satisfaction. [/font]

I hate miswraps an recently passed on a book I wanted because of it. I know nothing of the book above but it looks cool and I suspect is a tough find. The miswrap isn't horrible but would likely still bother me some, but I might be able to stomach this one if it is so rare I won't know when I will see another.

James G