• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

Question for any of you that are Archie run collectors. What is your lowest acceptable grade? I have been collecting Archie the title for quite a long time. I have set myself a goal which is to fill 2-20 with a minimum of VG-, then 21-50 with a minimum of VG+, finally, 51-100 in FN-. The exceptions are issue 50, which I have a very low grade copy and am hard pressed to upgrade it at this time, and issue 53 which I settled for a VG- for the time being. I am actually having a tough time filling out some of these upgrades. 

I'm curious how others are approaching their collection? 

On 11/5/2023 at 3:18 PM, Patriot6 said:

Question for any of you that are Archie run collectors. What is your lowest acceptable grade? I have been collecting Archie the title for quite a long time. I have set myself a goal which is to fill 2-20 with a minimum of VG-, then 21-50 with a minimum of VG+, finally, 51-100 in FN-. The exceptions are issue 50, which I have a very low grade copy and am hard pressed to upgrade it at this time, and issue 53 which I settled for a VG- for the time being. I am actually having a tough time filling out some of these upgrades. 

I'm curious how others are approaching their collection? 

It’s a good question that I too often ponder. For me 1-10 ow or better pages with an attached cover. 10-101 5.5 ow or better pages. Any books below that I’m looking to upgrade. 

IMG_8092.jpeg

On 11/5/2023 at 3:20 PM, ThothAmon said:

It’s a good question that I too often ponder. For me 1-10 ow or better pages with an attached cover. 10-101 5.5 ow or better pages. Any books below that I’m looking to upgrade. 

IMG_8092.jpeg

Well, there they all are. Now I know why :wavingwhiteflag:

I think we are Archie soul mates :foryou:

I guess to dig a little deeper, I'm really struggling with 2-13, then after that they seem to be easier to find in a better grade. After issue 50 it is relatively easy to find a nice grade. 

Amazing collection, some upgrades since I have last seen it. I'd be curious to know which pedigrees those belonged to? Also, which issues are the 9.2 and 9.0 ?! I guess...can I...can I see em? :shiftyeyes:

On 11/11/2023 at 1:09 PM, lotemo said:

I restarted collecting Archie a little over 20 years ago so I have been able to complete the run from 1-200.  Overall, I preferred fine or better on the early issues but for some, like #3 thtrough #5, I settled for copies with detached covers since that was pretty common on the early issues.  My #1 is about fine+ with moderate restoration.  The remainder are unrestored and normally range from fine to VF or better.  I wasn't as concerned about the technical grade so much as I just wanted copies that were complete and that presented well and weren't brittle.  For example, here's my copy of #3.  The cover is detached but it has white pages.  I have no interest in upgrading it since I just want a nice copy of the book and this one looks pretty nice.

Archie_1943_003a.jpg

I would have been happy to have that #3 too. Looks great! :x

That's an interesting approach. I might adjust my parameters and try to upgrade as I go. It eases the discouragement slightly. I think number four has been the most common that I've seen in that 1-5 range. I also think that number four is the least desirable of the bunch. The possibility of me acquiring a number one are next to nil, but I still think about it :). Which issue would you say was the most cumbersome to acquire in your desired grade?

I'm also curious to know if you display any of the books or are they box bound? If so, which do you display and how?  

On 11/11/2023 at 5:49 PM, lotemo said:

numbers 4 and 5 were the last two that I acquired in acceptable condition.

Interesting. Number five is one of my favourite covers! I've had a hard time upgrading this issue as well. 

As for your pair of eights, I think you've put me onto something here. That replacement eight looks very nice and I'd have no problem with the tape either. Heck your childhood copy would be an upgrade for me as well. I love these crazy early covers where there is something bizarre happening. Very neat covers.

On 11/11/2023 at 5:49 PM, lotemo said:

I don't display any of them because I'm concerned about fading so they're organized and stored by title in boxes.

That's neatly set up. I have a similar set up with wire racks. I like the colour print out on the front though. Nice touch. I always grapple with the effects of light, but I like to have some out on a rotating basis. They really do make me happy. I ALWAYS have my lowest grade Jughead #1 on my desk for example. 

Do you think you acquired most of your run from in person purchases where you were able to assert a grade before purchasing, or did you suffer a lot of buying Archies off of the net that did live up to expectations?

On 11/12/2023 at 12:51 PM, Patriot6 said:

Do you think you acquired most of your run from in person purchases where you were able to assert a grade before purchasing, or did you suffer a lot of buying Archies off of the net that did live up to expectations?

I bought most of them online.  I started searching eBay for Archie's around 2000 to 2001.  One of the earliest books I bought was a copy of Archie Annual #1.  That really kickstarted my desire to start collecting again. I definitely ended up with an overgraded book from time to time but for the most part, I was pretty lucky.  Most of the 1940's and 1950's books I bought were usually about very good to very fine.  I'd say about 70 to 75% of my purchases were from eBay and the rest were from dealer websites. I had a really demanding job so going to conventions wasn't really an option.

As for the fun, crazy covers, here's my copy of #10.  My original was just as faded as the #8 I posted but I don't have a scan of it on hand.

Archie_1944_010a.jpg

On 11/13/2023 at 8:50 PM, lotemo said:

I bought most of them online.  I started searching eBay for Archie's around 2000 to 2001.  One of the earliest books I bought was a copy of Archie Annual #1.

Very interesting. I understand how a good looking, supple and long legged Annual #1 could suck a fella in! I am really enjoying reading about your collecting path here. :popcorn:. Did you do a lot of upgrading on books you bought, or did you make sure that you bought a copy you were going to be satisfied with right off of the bat?

On 11/13/2023 at 8:50 PM, lotemo said:

here's my copy of #10

:golfclap:I love that crazy cover. First appearance of warning pole Archie. Nice colours on yours as well. If you look at 10 beside 11, you can clearly see they were still trying to find themselves. Such a contrast of things happening. The first ten are truly unique. Which issue is your favourite from your 1-200 run?

On 11/14/2023 at 3:08 PM, Patriot6 said:

Very interesting. I understand how a good looking, supple and long legged Annual #1 could suck a fella in! I am really enjoying reading about your collecting path here. :popcorn:. Did you do a lot of upgrading on books you bought, or did you make sure that you bought a copy you were going to be satisfied with right off of the bat?

:golfclap:I love that crazy cover. First appearance of warning pole Archie. Nice colours on yours as well. If you look at 10 beside 11, you can clearly see they were still trying to find themselves. Such a contrast of things happening. The first ten are truly unique. Which issue is your favourite from your 1-200 run?

Words of wisdom, LOL

On 11/14/2023 at 2:08 PM, Patriot6 said:

I'm not sure that I have one favorite but since I like Christmas covers, #6 has always been among my favorites.

Archie_1944_006a.jpg