• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BWS' Red Nails gets Artist's Edition treatment

46 posts in this topic

Posted in BWS Facebook group by Tonio Fraga. Graphic design doesn't look quite good judging from the cover. I hope that at least scans and printing gets similar level to IDW editions.

CONAN RED NAILS: ORIGINAL ART ARCHIVES HC

(W) Robert E. Howard, Roy Thomas (A/CA) Barry Windsor Smith

Forty years after its initial release, Genesis West brings you once again the classic 59-page Conan tale "Red Nails," as adapted by Roy Thomas and Barry (Windsor) Smith. Scanned in color and presented at the size of the original art, this oversize hardbound edition faithfully captures the appearance of the actual pages as drawn in 1973. (STK615997)

HC, 14x19, 136pgs, FC MSRP: $150.00

bwsconanrednailsgenesis.jpg

This showed in June Previews catalog:

GENESIS WEST

SPOT JUN13 1160 CONAN RED NAILS ORIGINAL ART ARCHIVES HC (Net) 08/21/13 MSRP: $150.00

I also agree that it's too much expensive, it must contain additional stuff.

It is billed as Original Art Archives. I have a great deal of sketicism as to what this is, and I wonder where BWS the man fits in. And I think that you shouldn't call it an AE unless it is IDW as they have really established the genre and this type of thing appears to be something else entirely. I hope I am wrong and it is beautiful.

It is billed as Original Art Archives. I have a great deal of sketicism as to what this is, and I wonder where BWS the man fits in. And I think that you shouldn't call it an AE unless it is IDW as they have really established the genre and this type of thing appears to be something else entirely. I hope I am wrong and it is beautiful.

I know nothing about this edition other than to say that the people who are producing it have access to the original art of Red Nails (minus one or two pages if I remember correctly).

Scott

I know nothing about this edition other than to say that the people who are producing it have access to the original art of Red Nails (minus one or two pages if I remember correctly).

Scott

I sold the art for the book, minus 2 or 3 pages years ago to the current owner, who is the publisher.

MI

Sounds like they have the right source material. In one note, I saw that we would see the art as it was in the 1970s. That made me think that Thrnight be using film or scans from way back when.

Wow, cheesy cover for a beautiful story.

It looks like a Dungeons and Dragons module cover from 1979.

I hope this is a preliminary cover.

I'm sure the inside of the book will look amazing. Don't judge a book by its cover.

I was actually just judging the cover by its cover. lol

The interiors deserve a cover of matching stature.

I'm sure the inside of the book will look amazing. Don't judge a book by its cover.

I was actually just judging the cover by its cover. lol

The interiors deserve a cover of matching stature.

Well said!

Weak covers can make you scratch your head, especially on 'art books.'

It's funny how ticked off I've been at a couple of the artist edition covers I'd bought (Gil Kane, MAD)... after their much-improved Limited-Edition counterparts were later released.

I remember thinking to myself "shouldn't I be rewarded for pre-ordering and being first in line to support these."

Weak covers can make you scratch your head, especially on 'art books.'

It's funny how ticked off I've been at a couple of the artist edition covers I'd bought (Gil Kane, MAD)... after their much-improved Limited-Edition counterparts were later released.

I remember thinking to myself "shouldn't I be rewarded for pre-ordering and being first in line to support these."

Yes, you should be. But instead you are funding the creation of a better product, the way it should have been made the first time IMO.

It's "trickle UP" economics, where those with to much disposable income passively help out those with way to much disposable income. :grin:

Here's a little more information. They have a Facebook page and answered a post on it though you can't post there now.

More information - though not much.

I'd suggest voicing your POV on the page count vs. $ on that page.

Here's the question and answer from the FB page:

Tonio Fraga What is "CONAN RED NAILS ORIGINAL ART ARCHIVES", solicited in June Previews?!?

Like · · May 17 at 2:24pm

Genesis West It is a hardcover book that contains high quality scans of all of the original artwork drawn by Barry Windsor-Smith for the Conan story "Red Nails". It is printed at the same size as the original art, and is of such high quality, that it is like looking at the actual artwork itself.

May 18 at 11:08am · Like · 3

Max Beckman What accounts for the large page discrepancy between the number of pages in the story and the number of pages the actual book is solicited to have (59 vs 136)?

May 18 at 1:35pm · Like

Genesis West There are a number of additional features... interviews, commentary, biographies, etc.

May 18 at 6:17pm · Like · 3

Max Beckman I see. I'm a retailer and I'm not trying to criticize but the price point is a little high for the page count of the actual story. Titan published the Simonson Alien Original Art Edition with a similar story-page count for $75 MSRP with a standard discount and the most expensive of IDW's Artist Editions carry a net cost to retailers of $112.50 for almost 4 times the amount of story-page-original-art content. I understand that these books are expensive to produce and IDW probably has lower production and material costs as a larger company but if you can reduce the price at all I think you'll be much more successful in the long run.

May 18 at 6:29pm · Like · 3

Mike Bennett How do I get a copy of this? Will Amazon carry it? Not too many comic shops close to me.

May 19 at 1:42pm · Like

Ferran Delgado There's a thread on the book in this forum focused on original art, maybe you want to reply some of the questions: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6704003#Post6704003

BWS' Red Nails gets Artist's Edition treatment - Collectors Society Message Boards boards.collectors-society.com

May 20 at 1:52am · Edited · Like

Brian Tait Any extra stories/work by BWS? Would love to see Frost Giants Daughter

May 24 at 11:17am · Like

Though they haven't responded since May 24, I did write to them with more questions and requesting a table of contents. We'll see.