• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is a positive thread to make Comics General better.
3 3

3,896 posts in this topic

The one year old orange tabby Ennis who lived in the row of houses directly behind us disappeared a year ago on July 27th. Although he was chipped (but not collared) and the three humans with whom he lived launched a concerted campaign to find him, Ennis appeared to have well and truly vanished.

While The MAN thought that Ennis might possibly have hitched a ride to parts unknown, The WOMAN feared that Ennis had fallen prey to a coyote because he liked to wander out through the kitty door during the night. Well it turned out that The MAN was correct.

The family received word by phone in early January that Ennis had been turned over to the Keswick animal shelter on the shore of lovely Lake Simcoe 45 miles north of us. Ennis had evidently heard that Lake Simcoe was a splendid place in the summer, albeit somewhat less so in the winter.

So Ennis has been back home and has settled in as if he'd been gone no more than overnight. He doesn't wander around the neighbourhood as far anymore though. I guess he learned how good he really had it where he lives.

Here are some pictures of Ennis out in front of our house from the spring of 2013:

Ennis_zps3628de85.jpg

Ennis3_zps53597207.jpg

Ennis4_zps2ea67413.jpg

Ennis6_zps0228087f.jpg

EnnisandCowboy3_zps6affe7d3.jpg

EnnisandCowboy_zps96f937aa.jpg

CowboyandEnnis2_zpse8771d03.jpg

:)

Edited by Hepcat

It is even more awesome when cats manage to return home with some kind of "special" orientation sense, and sometimes a lot of time after their "disappearance".

I'm always left wondering what their adventures were in such cases.

My sister's cat Courtney disappeared after a few days when my sister moved about five miles away within the city of London, Ontario. Over six months later Courtney was found in the general vicinity of my sister's previous house. A huntress supreme, Courtney wasn't much worse for her adventure. She stayed put thereafter and lived another six years or so.

My roommate Ace pulled a stunt similar to that of Ennis earlier this century. Rather than just hanging around the neighbourhood after being let outside one Friday morning, he somehow got to the Sears store at the downtown Eaton Centre some five miles away. He was discovered by store staff late in the afternoon wandering in the hallway between the parking garage elevators and the administration office! Sears left a message for The MAN at the office but he'd already gone home. A Sears employee therefore took Ace home for the weekend. The MAN received the message on Monday and duly picked up Ace back at the Sears store on Tuesday morning. Ace though has never revealed why he had to go downtown that day. The MAN suspects that Ace caught a ride by sneaking into the backseat of a neighbour's car but Ace hasn't divulged that information either.

Ace_zpsbf1185e0.jpg

At the age of fifteen, Ace's wandering days are now a thing of the past. He's become a porch potato and prefers to wile away the hours in a comfy chair.

Jack, an orange tabby whom The MAN had dumped on his sister in London, had a similar escapade himself about twelve years ago. Jack hitched a ride with the fellow next door and ended up in Port Bruce thirty miles southeast of London on Lake Erie. The neighbour fellow was quite surprised to see Jack in the backseat when he got to Port Bruce. He had absolutely no idea that Jack shared his interest in snorkeling. Jack was out of luck though since the neighbour had no snorkeling gear of his size. Nonetheless, Jack got to spend a pleasant few hours at the beach with the sweet smell of dead fish wafting in the air.

:)

Edited by Hepcat