• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is a positive thread to make Comics General better.
3 3

3,896 posts in this topic

Dude, I want some of your candy.

Well then you should appreciate this guide I've compiled on Ottawa area snack treats. My subjective numerical Yummy rating is out of ten:

Vachon.jpg

Rating 10

Nothing like Vachon Passion Flakies are sold in the United States and they are simply the best! They can be bought individually wrapped at most variety stores but buy a whole box of six. You won't regret it. They'll make you want to move to Canada.

mrbig_header__96371_zoom.jpg

Rating 9.5

My very favourite chocolate bar! Originally Willard's Extra Big, Neilson's retitled the brand after acquiring Willard's in the seventies. Since 1996 Neilson's has been part of the Cadbury conglomerate, but the Mr. Big chocolate bar remains the single best in North America. Even a multi-national hasn't been able to screw it up.

lowney-cherry-blossom-01.jpg

Rating 9

Previously a Lowney's brand but since the nineties Lowney's has been part of the Hershey conglomerate. Cherry Blossom is tough to find these days but is worth it! Talk about a mega dose of sweet flavour!

sweetmarie.jpg

Rating 8.5

A touch tastier than Oh Henry and that's saying a lot! Sweet Marie is also just a few grams smaller. It was another of the Willard's brands. I haven't seen it in recent months though which leaves me wondering whether the bastiches at Cadbury Schweppes have discontinued it. If so I'll riot I swear!

OhHenry.jpg

Rating 8.0

Get an Oh Henry too. It may very well be better than the Oh Henry bars sold in the States. And of course you can compare it to the Sweet Marie bar.

Pep.jpg

Rating 7

For peppermint lovers! Not as smooth as the York Peppermint Patties, but the Pep has it all over whatever else when it comes to appearance. Another one time Neilson's brand now made by Cadbury. Once again though, I can't recall seeing Pep for more than a year o it may have ben discontinued by Cadbury Schweppes.

popeye.jpg

Rating 7

Popeye's Candy Sticks are coagulated icing sugar or something and have an addictive chalky flavour. They.ve been sold in Canada for as long as I can remember. Up until twenty years ago or so they were called Candy Cigarettes but the Women's Christian Decency League and Anti-Smoking Brigade forced their relabeling.

And for those with a craving for a salty savoury snack when in Canada, here are my ratings for several widely sold uniquely Canadian products:

hickorysticks.jpg

Rating 9

Hostess was the dominant brand of chips in Canada for decades. Not surprising since General Foods had acquired the company in 1959 and used its distribution muscle to dominate the chip market until the early nineties when kettle cooked chips hit the marketplace. In an attempt to gain the economies of scale to compete against the kettle cooked chip onslaught, General Foods entered into a business combination with Lay's in 1996. The Hostess brand of chips virtually disappeared and surfaces only occasionally as a discount brand now in supermarkets.

The Hickory Sticks though are unique and continue to proudly carry the Hostess name brand.

humpty051-1.jpg

Rating 8

While Humpty Dumpty was swallowed up by Old Dutch Chips of Calgary in 2006, the Humpty Dumpty name brand is still used on certain products. I like the Barbecue Corn Chips. They're at least as good as Frito's.

HumtyDumpty.jpghumpty052-2.jpg

Rating 7

Slightly different than Cheetos but just as good!

YumYum-PC-Regular.jpg

YumYum.jpg

Rating 7

Uniquely Canadian Quebec based chips! Unfortunately the Indian boy logo is no longer featured on the bags. Very tough to find in Ontario though.

OldDutch.jpg

Rating 5

Maybe I'm just prejudiced against Old Dutch for replacing the Humpty Dumpty brand name that I so loved, but I don't think their chips are even as good as Lay's. They're worth a try I guess but they're not nearly as widely sold as Lay's so you might have to look around for them.

MissVickies.jpg

Rating 4

This is the brand of kettle cooked chips that took the Canadian market by storm in the early nineties. If you like kettle cooked chips, you'll like them fine. Personally though I've never been a fan of the kettle cooked variety.

:cool:

Hep,that was great.

I miss Hostess brand potato chips...with the Munchies!When you've got the munchies,nothing else will.do!Remember that jingle?Yum Yum can be found fairly easy in my area...but I am.very close to hell...I mean Hull!Good call on the Hickory Sticks...my aunt brings a case back to USA every year.That and BRAVO Pasta Sauce...

And you didn't mention EatMore....Canadian only candy bar....i think it is just a mix of all the dregs...like an allsorts...

Heartbreaking.I don't think I could bring myself to tear a comic on purpose.

Yeah, that's certainly a disturbing thought. Not sure why, some of these comics were produced in quantities larger than the daily paper, yet I hold them in higher regard.