• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel '500 Keys'

185 posts in this topic

On your list, including all the suggestions so far, I have them all except,

Night Nurse 2-4, they never turn up here in the UK and I have never really tried to chase them.

So Jason, did you say that you literally limit yourself to these ~500 comics? Do you have any room for non-Marvels in your life?

I have some Copper Age books that have special places in my heart (like Cry For Dawn, Poison Elves and The Crow) but yeah, I am strictly a Marvel snob and my collection goal will probably be these specific 500 books. (and whatever ones I take off to make room for more worthy "key" status that I already have)

I tried collecting some GA stuff and pre-code horror books, but I always keep coming back to Marvel superheroes. I think once I attain this goal (which will take many years) I may branch out again into other genres.

A few more possibilities:

Invaders #1 (or Giant-Size Invaders #1 - which is actually the first appearance of the team and first issue of the series as it predates Invaders #1)

Invaders #8 - first appearance of Union Jack

Sgt. Fury #8 / Avengers #6 - these tie for the first appearance of Baron Zemo. Stan put them out the same month in a pseudo-crossover, with Zemo appearing in WWII in one story and "re-appearing" in the present in the other. Cool gimmick.

Fantastic Four #21 - First modern Nick Fury, pre-dates creation of SHIELD - I think he's a CIA agent or something in this story. Also first Hate Monger.

Avengers #15 - death of Baron Zemo - an event that still gets regularly referenced in the comics

I am curious to know a little more about your definition of key. Some of the stuff you have on here are "key stories," but other seem more like key development moments rather than stories per se. So if we're going that way, it opens up the door to more books like the Avengers #66 you have listed for first adamantium (it's also worth getting, of course, for some very early BWS art and it's the first time Vision uses his "phase through people to knock them out" trick).

For example, Marvel Spotlight #31, which has a Nick Fury solo story, introduces the concept of the Infinity Formula which keeps him from aging and explains why he is still around to be part of the MU even though he fought in WWII. It's kind of a key universe building moment, but probably not a key in any other sense.

Invaders #1 (or Giant-Size Invaders #1 - which is actually the first appearance of the team and first issue of the series as it predates Invaders #1)

Invaders #8 - first appearance of Union Jack

Sgt. Fury #8 / Avengers #6 - these tie for the first appearance of Baron Zemo. Stan put them out the same month in a pseudo-crossover, with Zemo appearing in WWII in one story and "re-appearing" in the present in the other. Cool gimmick.

Fantastic Four #21 - First modern Nick Fury, pre-dates creation of SHIELD - I think he's a CIA agent or something in this story. Also first Hate Monger.

Avengers #15 - death of Baron Zemo - an event that still gets regularly referenced in the comics

I am curious to know a little more about your definition of key. Some of the stuff you have on here are "key stories," but other seem more like key development moments rather than stories per se. So if we're going that way, it opens up the door to more books like the Avengers #66 you have listed for first adamantium (it's also worth getting, of course, for some very early BWS art and it's the first time Vision uses his "phase through people to knock them out" trick).

For example, Marvel Spotlight #31, which has a Nick Fury solo story, introduces the concept of the Infinity Formula which keeps him from aging and explains why he is still around to be part of the MU even though he fought in WWII. It's kind of a key universe building moment, but probably not a key in any other sense.

I like those Nick Fury references - very cool.

Yeah, I'd say that I have a lot of "key development" books in there - like the Warlock books (FF, Hulk appearances) that really aren't "keys" in the traditional sense, but they do set the stage for the cosmic importance of Warlock. 500 is a lot of books for just "key" issues, so I had to work the grey area a bit to get to that number.

I think "key developments" are important threads in the tapestry of the Marvel Universe. Kitty Pryde and Wolverine are not "key" books by any means, however - the series was a significant turning point for both characters, and are/were referenced/implied after the story ended. Same thing with some Thanos appearances - they give insight into the development of a character who would be the central figure in one of the greatest epics Marvel put out.

The list is a little skewed, but I am glad people are talking about other books I don't have much knowledge of (like the Infinity Formula book you mentioned), because it's an interesting development and could belong on this list.

I agree! :applause:

Hey Oak - I was at a car museum this weekend and saw a 1918 Oakland Touring, thought of you and your rig!

Looked through the list again and all the possible additions. Great books! I have a feeling this thread is going to be one I will continue to reference over and over.

I would think you'd have to put Amazing Spidey 32 in there, you already have 31 and 33 on the list and that trilogy reads every bit as well as the FF Galactus trilogy. Mebbe FF 51 also, a classic stand-alone story and cosmic as all Hoo Hah what with the Negative Zone and all.

And don't let anyone talk you out of Silver Surfer 4 if for no other reason than the cover.

I would think you'd have to put Amazing Spidey 32 in there, you already have 31 and 33 on the list and that trilogy reads every bit as well as the FF Galactus trilogy. Mebbe FF 51 also, a classic stand-alone story and cosmic as all Hoo Hah what with the Negative Zone and all.

And don't let anyone talk you out of Silver Surfer 4 if for no other reason than the cover.

+1

or... +3, I guess.

A few more suggestions to consider:

Fantastic Four Annual #3 - Reed and Sue's wedding!

Avengers Annual #2 - classic black cover by John Buscema

ASM Annual #2 - Spidey/Dr. Strange team-up - only crossover between two by Ditko

Amazing Adventures #18 - 1st appearance/ 1st issue of Killraven, Neal Adams art

Giant-Size Creatures #1 - 1st Tigra (The Cat becomes Tigra)

Secret Wars #1 - ushers in event era, iconic cover

Thor #158 - origin retold

ROM #1 / Micronauts #1 - both long running licensed titles - precursors to G.I. Joe and Transformers

I'll make some updates this week based on the input I'm getting here in the thread. I think the Surfer run stays only because I've met a lot of people in-person and online who collect the whole run. While it may not be significant in terms of story, I think it is significant for collectors, especially because it's so small. But, I do agree that the Warlock runs outside of Thanos may have to go. At least until he shows up in the end credits of one of these Marvel films... :baiting:

Oh, just thought of a non-hero Marvel key for you: Our Love Story #5, which features an amazing Steranko romance story and is almost certainly the most sought after Marvel romance book. Not easy to find, especially in nice shape; there's only one copy on ebay at the moment, and they want $75 for a low grade copy with tears and writing on the cover.

Steranko!!

03.jpg

04.jpg