• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel '500 Keys'

185 posts in this topic

Sub-Mariner #57: 1st Silver Age appearance of Venus, youth protest story.

«We now cut to see Namorita (Nita) and Namor’s friend Mrs. Prentiss at home. Nita is busy painting up anti-Vietnam-War placards. Mrs. Prentiss expresses her concern that Nita’s participation in anti-War demonstrations may hinder her progress at school. They argue over whether students marching or perhaps instead a more competent authority should be deciding when to bring the troops home from ‘Nam.[…] Nita retorts that Mrs. Prentiss is a big fan of Namor’s and that he is hardly democratic in his actions».

A classic! (thumbs u

I don’t think X-Men 108 (1st John Byrne interiors) is SO important – I mean, if it’s just for the art there are a pair of Champions issues that are breath-taking, which preceed the X-Men.

Good call on Venus! FYI - She was part of the Agents of Atlas that have been in comics on and off for the last decade.

There are a handful on here that I think could be removed, as they seem to be just "filler" for other more key comics. Some of the X-Men, Silver Surfer, Warlock, Thor, etc... but for fun's sake I'd knock them off 1 by 1 as better and more significant issues came to light.

Idea: Wasn't the Millie the Model Ann #1 Marvel's 1st annual? How about that?

Idea #2: Amazing Spidey Ann #3, Spidey tries to join the Avengers?

Idea #3: Marvel Super Heroes #2, Dr Doom solo story

Idea #4: Marvel Team-Up #53 was the 1st Byrne on X-Men.

Idea #5: Incredible Hulk #140, Jarella story by Ellison - classic!

I don’t think X-Men 108 (1st John Byrne interiors) is SO important – I mean, if it’s just for the art there are a pair of Champions issues that are breath-taking, which preceed the X-Men.

I considered that run a "key" run only because it was the most popular/desirable out of all the "key" X-Men runs that mutie lovers collect.

I just picked up a Hulk #140 (nice black cover) - very cool story!

I considered that run a "key" run only because it was the most popular/desirable out of all the "key" X-Men runs that mutie lovers collect.

Of course I agree that the run is a"Key run" (I have picked them myself), but was just arguing about the #108… :)

The 500 Keys list has been updated with some changes and fixes above, notably:

Marvel Spotlight 32 with reference to the Infinity Formula Nick Fury has to take

Marvel Team Up 53, 1st John Byrne X-Men

Hulk #140, 1st Jarella

Fixed, Doc Sampson, FF 66

Removed X-Men 108 (I don't have the Byrne run, just keys so I took this out, since MTU 53 is more appropriate for 1st work on X-Men), DD #2 and first Stiltman, because he just sucks.

Did not add Millie or Rawhide Kids, if something drops off at a later date, I'll keep those in reserve.

Thanks for the tips!

PS: would love to eventually see a slide show/scans of all 500 keys in hand :whee:

I am collecting boxes of old Snap Happys - my dream is to someday have every issue on the list hanging on the wall, floor-to-ceiling!

You still have "Ronin the Accuser". :makepoint:

Also, FF #13 is also the 1st appearance of the Red Ghost and #36 is 1st Medusa, but also 1st Frightful Four. :)

doh!

Got those fixed!

Loving this thread… :cloud9:

I’ve been sorting out a bit my collection and realized I still miss a lot of Fantastic Four in the #140-160 range… :o

Which is unacceptable! (tsk)

I think this thread is great, and I appreciate all the great input from everyone. I am always surprised when I look at it how many keys I am still missing!

Spell Check:

It's "Marvel Premiere"

250px-Marv_premiere_01.jpg

Note, I've now got 226 of these. My lack of early Avengers, FF, X-Men and the combo books Tales to Astonish / Tales of Suspense kill me.

Fixed!

Also, the page has 500 rows with no header, so there should be 500 books there according to my count -script. Hopefully there isn't a hiccup somewhere...

I have not counted my 'X's on that page - I kind of don't want to know...

I'll be on a collecting hiatus for awhile, but I think when I start back up, I'm going to take on Tales To Astonish.