• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel '500 Keys'

185 posts in this topic

I'd add

Spiderman 46 1st Shocker

Spiderman 94 origin

Defenders 17 1st Wrecking Crew

Hulk 212 1st Constrictor

Hulk 214 1st Jack of Hearts in comics

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D 07 - Classic cover

Lose

Spotlight 11

Surfer 5-13 maybe even 15-18

Thor 150

Amazing Spider-Man 178 Green Goblin appearance

Anyone mention Tiger Shark (Sub-Mariner 5)? Other than that, it has all my key/wants on it.

I don't think so, that's a good addition.

Alright - major overhaul to the list. I believe I've culled all the copper age from it, so it is now exclusively a Silver Age/Bronze Age key list. I added some pre-hero prototype books to take up the space the Coppers left behind.

Also, whipped out an old Wizard and looked up some obscure 1st appearances that I didn't have included, most notably the ones from Marvel Team-Up.

Your definition of a "key", is apparently different from mine.

Too many to mention them all, but is the number of an issue really a "key", (except for #1 issues in many cases)? I mean like Thor #150?

A "key moment" in a book usually describes a turning point, an important series or chapter that has ramifications to the character or universe he resides, or an important milestone the character experiences.

For some people, there's only 20 or 30 keys worth the definition of the word, for some there are more. Because I'm not collecting hundreds of books in various runs, I decided to create a collecting goal that presented a challenge and met some sort of criteria. I wanted to have some substance to my collecting goal, because the 'Marvel 50 Keys' didn't sound terribly challenging - so here we are.

Thor #150? Yeah, there's probably better, and at some point it will be replaced by another key issue that better fits the list.

I am eagerly awaiting to see how the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tv show will affect my list as the season goes on...

I wonder what the first appearance of the S.H.I.E.L.D. Flying Car was?

hm

Strange Tales 159. Thankfully I've already got it in case people freak out and want the first appearance of Lola.

Question:

I downloaded the list a little while ago so I don't know if this has been fixed, but you have both of these listed:

Hero For Hire 01 1st appearance Luke Cage

Luke Cage, Hero For Hire 01 First appearance Luke Cage

I think you've got the same book 2x. Need another key? Or has this been edited?

Thanks!

A few other things:

THOR 159 / Origin Retold: I think you mean Thor #158. Killer Kirby cover too.

If I'm right about my above post, I'd like to nominate Tales to Astonish 93 for the 1st Surfer outside of FF and the classic cover. Another good one is Power Man #48, as that's the 1st PM & IF together.

Yay Doctor, you know I love your list! Great work-in-progress!

I would love to drop some well-thought suggestion, but for now just a few considerations:

– the first new costume (and it’s not just the costume) for Captain Marvel is actually #16, but just in the last panel. #17 has the cover & al. (and what a cover!) and so it’s definitely the one to look for;

– a special appreciation for the inclusion of Doctor Strange #183/Sub-Mariner #22/Incredible Hulk #126: these are amazingly relevant books, as the Defenders’ foundation is actually implicitly laid here (and breathtaking stories as well) – a lot more important to me than Sub-Mariner #35-36;

– Marvel Spotlight #31 as mentioned by Crimebuster is really important, and a super-cool book. Amazing well-thought story, amazing art, and Nick Fury’s life is redefined with coherence;

– You should keep Howard the Duck #1 – but since you are looking at substance and not just "appearances" I honestly think Omega #1 would also be important: the other, dramatic side, of Steve Gerber. And speaking of Gerber, to me this will always a "key" book, even if no "spectacular" events take place: http://www.comicvine.com/giant-size-defenders-4-too-cold-a-night-for-dying/4000-152688/

And then again, it must just be me, but what’s all this fuss about Hulk vs. Someone type of fights (except maybe the first, FF#12)? (shrug)

Sweet - thanks for the input guys. I definitely think you both have added something to the list worth adding. I'll change it up.

And I do have Luke Cage listed twice, I'll fix that, too!