• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel '500 Keys'

185 posts in this topic

Anyone want to do something like this with DC now?

Or anyone have a preset list for DC? Doesn't have to be top 500 either. I'll even take a top 50-100 !

I started messing around with this yesterday but gave up pretty quickly. I have to say, I think DC has far more keys than Marvel if only because they were publishing far more titles in more genres. There's just so much to look at with DC.

This list was hard to put together - I developed this focus in 2008, started writing them down in 2009 and continually built it to what it is now.

To sit and think about 500 keys all at once (DC or Marvel) would pretty difficult - and monotonous.

Initially, I sat down and dinked around online for about 3 hours putting the first part of the list together. As the years went by, I'd add to it the more I read and saw books - a few minutes here, and there - and eventually it got fleshed out.

I will probably have another go at a DC list at some point here. One thing I was struggling with was simply when to start it - at Showcase #4? Or Detective #225? Or... somewhere else? I'm leaning towards Detective #225, but I'm not sure.

I don't know much about DC - but isn't their Silver Age much earlier than Marvel (like 1956 or something like that?) If that's the case - there's six more years worth of key issues to cover in their universe.

Maybe you start the list in parts, like Silver Age, Bronze Age, Copper Age keys seperately, then pare them down in terms of importance once you have each era itemized out?

I will probably have another go at a DC list at some point here. One thing I was struggling with was simply when to start it - at Showcase #4? Or Detective #225? Or... somewhere else? I'm leaning towards Detective #225, but I'm not sure.

I was under the impression that SC 4 was widely accepted as the beginning of the Silver age... Where have you seen differently?

I understand that some folks like to think of tec 225 as the true first SA book, but I don't buy it.

The Silver Age is supposed to be the adaptation and modernization of the Golden Age, and the first appearance, not even a cover appearance, of a second tier hero Superman wannabe just doesn't cut it for me.

Martian Manhunter is an interesting character, and if you decide that 225 is your be all and end all start of the SA then more power to you, that's fine by me.

But IMO Showcase 4 is the trigger for all that follows, and that's MY true start of the Silver Age.

Glad I got my copy some years back.

I understand that some folks like to think of tec 225 as the true first SA book, but I don't buy it.

The Silver Age is supposed to be the adaptation and modernization of the Golden Age, and the first appearance, not even a cover appearance, of a second tier hero Superman wannabe just doesn't cut it for me.

Martian Manhunter is an interesting character, and if you decide that 225 is your be all and end all start of the SA then more power to you, that's fine by me.

But IMO Showcase 4 is the trigger for all that follows, and that's MY true start of the Silver Age.

Glad I got my copy some years back.

:takeit:

I think that's the great part about doing a list like mine or a DC one - to develop a person's own personal checklist of books to shoot for (or use as reference). I think they are all open to interpretation of what is or is not important to a collector in terms of 'key' books.

Just nit-picking :insane:

here's a correction to your list:

Strange Tales 114 1st appearance Silver Age Captain America (android) (acrobat)

Ahh, yes - thanks!

Cool list and thread:

Here is an opinion from a 'quick' scan

Potential Drops:

Amazing Spider-Man 101 -> 2nd Printing from 1992

The 3rd appearances-->SM 363, AT13, et al

Avengers 167

Cap 171

DD 2 --> I have one on eBay now but not sure it is a key...

DD 6 --> you have 7, don't need 6

The last issues --> unless this is a theme for you

Human Torch 1 - I think this was a reprint book

Incredible Hulk 377 Third Printing

Additions:

Avengers 9 (WonderMan) ... over Avengers 8 for me

FF 11 - 1st Impy!

FF 39 - goes with 40, they are a pair with Wood on DD

FF 51 - considered to be one of best stories ever - and done in 1

No FF between 126 and 262? What about the Surfers in 150s?

If you have Ms. Marvel 1, should add Nova 1 - they are almost a pair

Sgt Fury 13 - Cap App.

Subby 59 - cover is quite classic but no Everett interiors like 50

X-Men 108 - 1st Byrne interiors

X-Men 133 - Classic Wolverine rampage

Keeps:

You must keep HTD #1 - Was a significant book and art is amazing!

I'm working on a DC list at the moment, but it may be a couple of days. I started by looking at which titles were in publication the month Showcase #4 came out and have put together a list of keys just from those titles - and have 136 so far. So, yeah, a lot of work left to do.

I'm working on a DC list at the moment, but it may be a couple of days. I started by looking at which titles were in publication the month Showcase #4 came out and have put together a list of keys just from those titles - and have 136 so far. So, yeah, a lot of work left to do.

:applause:

:luhv:

Where to begin ?

hm

Corrections:

Thor 165 - 1st full appearance of Him (Warlock)

Strange Tales 169 Dr. Strange Begins when in fact it should be Doc Strange 169 - First Dr. Strange in his own title.

To the list should go:

Marvel Super-Heroes #1 ( First Marvel One-Shot )

You have Subby 1 and Iron Man 1 then you will need to add IMSM 1 as well.

Not a key ? Apparently not, to not have made the list. And Strange Tales 136 onwards are meh

Nick Fury 15 ( Original Bullseye )

You list Fantastic Four Annual 03 Reed and Sue wedding but not Annual 5 First - First solo Silver Surfer story (shrug)

You don't list Daredevil #16 - Spiderman appearance but issues 105 and 107 (among others) make the list meh

Avengers 71 - First Invaders doh! Certainly higher on the list than any Avengers 101+

Thanks for the additional input guys - I made a bunch of the above-mentioned changes. I'm over 500 now, but after I get enough input, I'll go back and pare down the issues that don't need to be there (like ASM 101 2nd and Hulk 377 3rd, etc).

I was surprised I missed Nova #1 - that one is fairly obvious. (shrug)