• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,262 posts in this topic

Thanks alot Angelo.....here are a couple more too.

I posted these in my thread but wanted to post them here too.

Adventures into the Unknown 27 and the second copy I have purchased this year after looking for one for years. This copy presents much nicer than the previous one I posted but I would only grade it about a point and a half higher due to wear on the back. A sharp looking copy nevertheless and once again has the really nice Al Williamson/Roy Krenkel story that the GCDB credits to Frank Frazetta on the pencils. I have to say I agree and think Fritz did the pencils, Al the inks and Roy the backgrounds. I love this pre-code horror cover alot.

Scott

AdvUnknown27.jpg

Posted this one in my thread too. Hope you guys will check out the link if you have never read it before.

This next book is truly special to me. It contains my all-time favorite story. It is "Master Race" by Bernie Krigstein. This was the start of EC's New Direction books and this one was issued without Code approval. Below I have added a link to a website that has posted the story. Simply click on the page once you are done and it will take you to the next. Comics can be a work of high art and this story proves it. Krigstein was a master and a cinematic storyteller of such talent that it would be hard to find a work of comic art that tops this in my opinion.

Scott

Link to the story: http://es.geocities.com/thegweb/berniekrigstein1.html

If you have never read it before, let me know what you think.

Scott

Impact1.jpg

Adventures into the Unknown 27 and the second copy I have purchased this year after looking for one for years. This copy presents much nicer than the previous one I posted but I would only grade it about a point and a half higher due to wear on the back. A sharp looking copy nevertheless and once again has the really nice Al Williamson/Roy Krenkel story that the GCDB credits to Frank Frazetta on the pencils. I have to say I agree and think Fritz did the pencils, Al the inks and Roy the backgrounds. I love this pre-code horror cover alot.

Scott

AdvUnknown27.jpg

Really sweet AITU, Scott. You can't go wrong with a comic that has a cadre of artists like that. thumbsup2.gif

Angelo

Posted this one in my thread too. Hope you guys will check out the link if you have never read it before.

This next book is truly special to me. It contains my all-time favorite story. It is "Master Race" by Bernie Krigstein. This was the start of EC's New Direction books and this one was issued without Code approval. Below I have added a link to a website that has posted the story. Simply click on the page once you are done and it will take you to the next. Comics can be a work of high art and this story proves it. Krigstein was a master and a cinematic storyteller of such talent that it would be hard to find a work of comic art that tops this in my opinion.

Scott

Link to the story: http://es.geocities.com/thegweb/berniekrigstein1.html

If you have never read it before, let me know what you think.

Scott

Impact1.jpg

Great story! Really liked Krigstein's art. Good storyteller. Congrats on the book, Scott 893applaud-thumb.gif

Angelo

Can check these three books off my want list now:

Have always loved this cover

StrangeAdv18.jpg

Just saw a movie called First Snow which dealt with fate and fortunes and couldn't pass this sweet Maneely cover up

MysterylTales24.jpg

And my favorite of the bunch for, what I think is, obvious. Awesome cover

CDNP43.jpg

Nice grabs! That Strange Adventures cover reminds me of that SciFi movie "Pitch Black". Any Maneely cover is cloud9.gif and some of those CDNP covers are very cool and horrific (I have 2 myself, the one with the electric chair shadow cover and one with a bullet to the head cover). thumbsup2.gif

Can check these three books off my want list now:

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Since I have a copy of the Strange Adventures and received a CDNP in the mail this week, I appreciate all these books thumbsup2.gif Now I'm just really jealous of the Mystery Tales. I don't love all things Maneely but this is a great cover and is on my want list ... just not in that HG condition crazy.gif

Have always loved this cover

That's Murhpy Anderson's first published DC cover -- with a matching story drawn by him as well. It just as much fun as the cover would would suggest and is much darker than the typical DC story. That comic also contains a terrific Alex Toth sci-fi adventure.

The CDNP cover has a very Jimmy Cagney "Public Enemy" feel and a number of entertaining stories inside.

Scott

AdvUnknown27.jpg

Love that cover. I really have to stop looking at these books, they are so tempting to collect. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I used to have a copy of that. I saved a scan of the money shot.

Funny. Personally, I consider the woman on the cover to be the money shot thumbsup2.gif, but now that you mention it, the dirty rat thingy is pretty cool too sorry.gif.

Nothing says horror like the ripping out of internal organs. cloud9.gif

f you aren't careful, these could become a habit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Definitely has the possibility of becoming a habit.....but I have to prioritize. However, something will catch my eye from time to time....like the ToT 4. Have a few more nice pre-codes to put up in the next little bit. thumbsup2.gif

Scott

Thanks Angelo. Not really sure what my goal is for some of these Harvey's, but if one hits a chord, then it might just make it into my collection. I have lowered my grading requirements for pre-code books as too many of them simply don't exist in uber-high grade, and even if they did, I couldn't afford them. I have never really concentrated on runs before, but have started the past couple of years. I finished my Adventure 431-440 Spectre run in 9.4 or better and am still working on my Fourth World and Avengers 1-200 run. The latter will take me quite a few years as I am only about 52% done. There are alot of books out there and only so much in funds to aquire them with, but I try to get the best I can on books that I think are cool. Working on the Kirby books and Avengers is the most focused I have even been, but I like to deviate from time to time. grin.gif

Scott

Scott,

Nice copy there and I agree the HG issues can be quite expensive.

I myself have come to accept 6.5 and up as a grade quality (and price range) I can live with! thumbsup2.gif

My recent addition. Love the viewpoint of this cover though I wish it were issue #15

1829768-TombofTerror%2316CGC7.5.jpg

589a8d188bf40_1829768-TombofTerror16CGC7.5.jpg.0764f8f56fee65515ac9ff5a4bd31a9f.jpg