• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,258 posts in this topic

I picked these up from Dale Roberts at the Tulsa Comic Con tonight and both I have been wanting. I had been waiting for a higher grade of the Uncanny 23, but I noticed this copy had my month/day birthday date stamp on it, and I couldn't say no, although... not sure if that is good or bad in context with the 2 guys in the boat hm

By the way, Dale's PCH wall books were incredible. There was a high grade Strange Tales 29 that was gorgeous.

spellbound_zpsjwmmgkps.jpg

Uncanny%20Tales_zpse3g2zgib.jpg

I picked these up from Dale Roberts at the Tulsa Comic Con tonight and both I have been wanting. I had been waiting for a higher grade of the Uncanny 23, but I noticed this copy had my month/day birthday date stamp on it, and I couldn't say no, although... not sure if that is good or bad in context with the 2 guys in the boat hm

By the way, Dale's PCH wall books were incredible. There was a high grade Strange Tales 29 that was gorgeous.

Great books! I have the Spellbound but not the Uncanny.

I agree the Uncanny is a cool cover in that unlike most Atlas covers, you don't really understand what is taking place. Although the two figures in the boat are sealing someone in a coffin, we see a hat and an abandoned oar floating in the water to further question what happened. Though we are told "Ask No Questions!". Add to that it is a full cover illustration with no side panel vignettes makes this a winner! (thumbs u

I agree the Uncanny is a cool cover in that unlike most Atlas covers, you don't really understand what is taking place. Although the two figures in the boat are sealing someone in a coffin, we see a hat and an abandoned oar floating in the water to further question what happened. Though we are told "Ask No Questions!". Add to that it is a full cover illustration with no side panel vignettes makes this a winner! (thumbs u

I have 'em both', good readers. Regarding the Uncanny Tales issue; The cover date is August, 1954, and this was about the time the publishers began taming down their offerings, at least AFA cover illustrations went. This is why you don't see a skeleton or some such. The hat floating on the water and the sinister clad figures nailing the container up pretty well deliver the message.

I have 'em both', good readers. Regarding the Uncanny Tales issue; The cover date is August, 1954, and this was about the time the publishers began taming down their offerings, at least AFA cover illustrations went. This is why you don't see a skeleton or some such. The hat floating on the water and the sinister clad figures nailing the container up pretty well deliver the message.

It delivers it well but still contains that air of mystery with what it doesn't show. It's nice to see that some artists were able to rise above the constraints of the oncoming code and deliver some grim, moody and atmospheric covers such as this Uncanny Tales cover.

I agree. That's one thing I love about it. Is the cover by Everett?

It delivers it well but still contains that air of mystery with what it doesn't show. It's nice to see that some artists were able to rise above the constraints of the oncoming code and deliver some grim, moody and atmospheric covers such as this Uncanny Tales cover.