• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

Finally got this sonovab**ch book recently. It eluded me so many times over the years...this copy is a rag but still looks great in a Mylar.

D25144AC-01DA-400F-949E-89C41FF837DD.jpg

Woo Hoo - my favorite PCH book! CONGRATS

You all have heard of the Mile High collection, well here's a little known fact that Edgar Church's neighbor had a Mile Low collection. These were books he would line his bird cages with and let the dog chew on. This book is from that collection. :jokealert:

A boardie sold a copy years ago...VG copy for about $75. Missed it by minutes. This was before the book exploded.

Finally got this sonovab**ch book recently. It eluded me so many times over the years...this copy is a rag but still looks great in a Mylar.

Don't feel bad; your rag seems to be in better shape than mine;

2rq245j.jpg

What's the market value on these bad boys lately? I think I paid around $22 or so for this one, maybe 8-10 years back.

Don't feel bad; your rag seems to be in better shape than mine;

2rq245j.jpg

What's the market value on these bad boys lately? I think I paid around $22 or so for this one, maybe 8-10 years back.

Its a $250-350 book these days IMHO.

I believe the last CGC 5.0 sold for $1100 or so and a CGC 6.5 recently sold on CC for $2500.

Edited by Johnny545

I believe the last CGC 5.0 sold for $1100 or so and a CGC 6.5 recently sold on CC for $2500.

Amazing, but it has to be near or at the top of the most terrifying covers of the pre-code era. This one is beyond what even EC ever put out.

Amazing, but it has to be near or at the top of the most terrifying covers of the pre-code era. This one is beyond what even EC ever put out.

Agreed, a great Anderson cover that looks Johnny craigesque in my opinion.

Thanks for the comments.

Fifties, wish I paid $22 for mine...

And lets not get nuts....Ghastly is still number one!

C7ACC74E-0340-4EA2-B379-CB93CCCA7907.jpg

I wasn't trying to take anything away from the EC masters, like Graham Ingels, and had EC not self-censored Vault 32 (not showing the axe in the guys head), or Crypt 38 (not showing blood and guts flying out of the trunk), they certainly would have been among the top horror covers of the era.

Strange Tales 28, however, is simply over the top, IMHO.

Congrats Christian, great score! :headbang:

Great book! With condition I find A mylar forgives many sins. And a lower condition book especially one that is hard to find is is still very satisfying.

If only Gaines chose to do full-bleed covers without the Old Witch/Vault Keeper/Crypt Keeper portraits and without the color background behind the title. Giving us a Ghastly cover where the artist was only given half of the space to illustrate is an unforgivable crime.

Compare these layouts (not my books):

wm2cgc18_1024x1024.jpg

hauntoffear017.jpg

I love Baily and Ghastly. Could you imagine if the latter had an entire cover as his canvas?

Edited by *paull*

I've said this in the past regarding HOF17. That if someone had the OA to that cover, it would be nice if they could lift the stats off and see the complete Ghastly artwork! Especially under the eye!

I've said this in the past regarding HOF17. That if someone had the OA to that cover, it would be nice if they could lift the stats off and see the complete Ghastly artwork! Especially under the eye!

Also, imagine that cover with the trees and a night sky continuing beneath the logo.

Ghastly OA :cloud9:

Ingels%20TFTC%2028%20splash%20lg_zpsibligssr.jpg

Ghastly OA :cloud9:

Ingels%20TFTC%2028%20splash%20lg_zpsibligssr.jpg

And from one of his best stories.