• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

Those Cochran reprint books are really great. I saw them auctioned the first week and I immediately assumed they would be bid up wayyy beyond anything I could pay. That was a really dumb assumption on my part, as many of them sold for very low prices. I don't know why but my theory is that it was because the swine flu scare had just gotten really crazy and people were talking about a worldwide catastrophe, etc. Just a theory.

Anyway, during the first week's auction, many of the Cochran books sold for $300-$600 when they should have gone for more like $1,300 to $3,000. I totally missed the boat. The one that I'm still kicking myself for not bidding on is the book full of Crypt of Terror and Tales From the Crypt comics (I notice the buyer is in these forums). That sold for something like $860, when it probably should have sold for more like $3,500. Just the first three Crypt of Terror comics alone should have been worth over $1,500 (that's a low estimate), nevermind all the great early-run TFTC's.

The guy who won that book got the biggest score ever. Put that book on Heritage Auction next winter and walk away with a $2,000 profit or more. I think there must have been a lot of people who were amazed and frustrated by the first week's low sales, because the next week people really put in some worthy bids, and items sold for more respectable amounts. The Vault of Horror early-run book sold for $1,900 or so, and the Mad comics early-run book sold for $3,300 or something.

This is a new scan but I have had the book for a while. Does anyone know who the artist is?

Tuska did at least one of the inside stories. What about the others?

I like the pretty colors. :cloud9:

3610839200_7979a0a00d_b.jpg

Al Anderson?

Nice cover!

Jack

This is a new scan but I have had the book for a while. Does anyone know who the artist is?

Al Anderson?

Nice cover!

Jack

Sounds right Jack. He was pretty good at making those covers and Z-D did use his talents. I think we had a similar discussion about Amazing Adventures.

bb

:applause:

Awesome book! Still need to get one of these!

A few new Horror books in! :banana:

Been wanting a copy of this book for a while now, love this cover.

Last copy I came across was on a dealer's site and when I purchased it, the dealer apologized and said it couldn't be found in their inventory!

DiaryOfHorror1.jpg

Love that book too, missed out on one on ebay a year or so back...Nice book!

I am not in the habit of posting books the day that I get them, but I will let this one be an exception. I LOVE THIS BOOK!

TrueCrime2.1.jpg

TrueCrime2.2.jpg

Nice copy...looks nicer than a 4.5, I'm surprised that the label doesn't say "Used in SOTI"..I was thinking of sending in my raw copy...

th_sc003c84b1.jpg

Edited by Twistty1

I am not in the habit of posting books the day that I get them, but I will let this one be an exception. I LOVE THIS BOOK!

TrueCrime2.1.jpg

TrueCrime2.2.jpg

Nice copy...looks nicer than a 4.5, I'm surprised that the label doesn't say "Used in SOTI"..I was thinking of sending in my raw copy...

th_sc003c84b1.jpg

That is a great book !

Should be a better grade though.

T

Oh, shucks...too late to post my copy. Here it is anyway! This is a really tough in HG black cover

UT_09.jpg

I really like that book....alot. Your copy is sharp. I am starting to feel myself be pulled by some of these late 50-early 60's Ditko Charltons. Collecting ADD headed my way once again....especially after the CLink auction last week. Picked up 9 books...and not a singe pre-code in the bunch! :o

Oh, shucks...too late to post my copy. Here it is anyway! This is a really tough in HG black cover

UT_09.jpg

I really like that book....alot. Your copy is sharp. I am starting to feel myself be pulled by some of these late 50-early 60's Ditko Charltons. Collecting ADD headed my way once again....especially after the CLink auction last week. Picked up 9 books...and not a singe pre-code in the bunch! :o

::Using the RingMaster's hat:: Join us...join the league of "late 50-early 60's Ditko" collectors....

I do like to see Ditko stories in those old comics.

I love the art but I can't help think that it could have been worse on the "Day of the Yellow Snow".

3663184319_a4459c0603_b.jpg

Just wonder if "Red Snow" was another Cold War allegory for Communism????(shrug)

UT_09.jpg

::Using the RingMaster's hat:: Join us...join the league of "late 50-early 60's Ditko" collectors....

Willingly.....

However, I did pick up an uber sweet pre-code Ditko recently.....don't have it in hand yet...but will share once I do.