• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

It's tough to judge from the small scan :baiting:

But from afar while it has the hallmarks of Anderson, the figure of the guard pointing and the shading under the Gargoyles are highly remisniscent of Everett for the period ...

Here is a larger, color corrected scan. I think now that more detail of the main characters can be seen, it looks less like Everett. He tends to be a bit more exaggerated if not "cartoony" in his gesture, while this is more like Anderson's "By the book" approach. I think the orderly fine lines are more apparent too, as opposed to Everett's more noodley inking style. (shrug)

I think very telling is the cross hatching at the very top tower of the building, above the 2 gargoyles to the right, that appears more like an Anderson approach to me than Everett.

mt127.jpg

Edited by shiverbones

Awesome books Matt! Looks like some good reading to me!

That Marvel Tales does have a very nice cover. Also cool about that issue is it features a story drawn by Mort Drucker (of MAD magazine film parody fame). :applause:

Thanks Christian! Mort Drucker is great, I have had a few other random 50's books he drew, and always loved his approach.

Extraordinary artwork! But, like you, it just doesn't seem to me like it could be Everett. Anderson is not well known because his peak period was during the 50s and he signed little if any of his work.

Here is a larger, color corrected scan. I think now that more detail of the main characters can be seen, it looks less like Everett. He tends to be a bit more exaggerated if not "cartoony" in his gesture, while this is more like Anderson's "By the book" approach. I think the orderly fine lines are more apparent too, as opposed to Everett's more noodley inking style. (shrug)

I think very telling is the cross hatching at the very top tower of the building, above the 2 gargoyles to the right, that appears more like an Anderson approach to me than Everett.

mt127.jpg

It is odd if it's Everett and not signed - but it does look like his trademark stippled shading under the gargoyles - though the man looks more like Anderson - possibly Everett inks on Anderson pencils - is that possible?

It sure looks like an Anderson piece to me. The shape of the shadowing used to highlight the policeman's cheek bone is classic Anderson (compare with Mystic 33); he did most of his Atlas covers in mid-to-late 1954 (Astonishing 35, JIUW 26-27-28, Marvel Tales 125-126-127(?)-128, Mystery Tales 19-20-21, Mystic 32-33, ST 31-32, Uncanny Tales 24-25, etc); the image itself is somewhat whimsical (I'd classify about half of Anderson's covers as whimsical rather than outright terrifying); and the guard/policeman is quite similar to the one on the cover of ST 16.

Mystic33.jpg

ST016.jpg

Thanks for the input, zzutak. I think your points about the policeman in ST16 and shading are quite good. Mystic 33 provides an example of the fine line work and detailed inking that he was capable of so for me this clinches the attribution of Anderson.

It sure looks like an Anderson piece to me. The shape of the shadowing used to highlight the policeman's cheek bone is classic Anderson (compare with Mystic 33); he did most of his Atlas covers in mid-to-late 1954 (Astonishing 35, JIUW 26-27-28, Marvel Tales 125-126-127(?)-128, Mystery Tales 19-20-21, Mystic 32-33, ST 31-32, Uncanny Tales 24-25, etc); the image itself is somewhat whimsical (I'd classify about half of Anderson's covers as whimsical rather than outright terrifying); and the guard/policeman is quite similar to the one on the cover of ST 16.

There was definitely some re-cycling of the design but I like both of 'em more than enough to forgive Everett.

Another sweet Anderson cover!

Amazing that the later issues of JIUW are not in the Gerber Photo-Guides.

Gerber is comprehensive through the end of the prime era of the Church Collection in 52/53. After that it's very spotty.