• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,223 posts in this topic

Thanks! It really transcends collecting a comic for me. I know that sounds corny. :blush:

My first collecting experience was collecting stamps with my Dad. That's one of several stamp collecting covers that I'm fond of. (thumbs u

Menace3.jpg

:applause: That contains one of my favorite Russ Heath horror stories.

Menace3.jpg

:applause: That contains one of my favorite Russ Heath horror stories.

the "Rodeo" story!

Yup. It's a nice twist on the Pagliacci story

I love that cover as well! Beautifully drawn & colored. What a nice copy too.

@Menace #3 - You have all inspired me to read my copy today. :cloud9:

It's a good issue all around. I showed Russ Heath that story and he talked about what he was thinking when he drew particular panels and pointed out when he was using photo reference. He seemed pretty pleased with his work which is unusual as he is often very critical of his early efforts.

A great issue with prime Powell & Nostrand work further enhanced by a gerber F up which resulted in the 1st #24 being printed twice, while this was left out. The cover by Elias is SO iconic, yet hard to believe it was not used until the end of the pre code era. What could be more to the point than the rainbow colored corpse hand bursting from the ground?

Untitled-2-6.jpg

Edited by shiverbones

This comic is messed up. The stories are completely whack. I thought the cannibal one was bad, but the story with the guy who shows his new wife all the prosthetic surgery he has had while she accidentally kills herself is INSANE. Check, Woodbridge & Torres art in this classic.

Untitled-1-6.jpg

I love that cover as well! Beautifully drawn & colored. What a nice copy too.

@Menace #3 - You have all inspired me to read my copy today. :cloud9:

It's a good issue all around. I showed Russ Heath that story and he talked about what he was thinking when he drew particular panels and pointed out when he was using photo reference. He seemed pretty pleased with his work which is unusual as he is often very critical of his early efforts.

all the early menace have been great, but I agree, Rodeo was wonderful. It played out like An EC in every way & was drawn as well too.

I showed Russ Heath that story and he talked about what he was thinking when he drew particular panels and pointed out when he was using photo reference. He seemed pretty pleased with his work which is unusual as he is often very critical of his early efforts.

Great story!

This comic is messed up. The stories are completely whack. I thought the cannibal one was bad, but the story with the guy who shows his new wife all the prosthetic surgery he has had while she accidentally kills herself is INSANE. Check, Woodbridge & Torres art in this classic.

Untitled-1-6.jpg

Woodbridge was just starting out his career with his work for Premier. It was definitely not a good time to go into the comics biz, which is a shame as I think he developed rapidly.