• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,223 posts in this topic

I'm crossing my fingers on a couple of more pre-code books tonight.

If I get any of them I'll post later.

Until then beware of geeks bearing gifts....

b0a3638415e66f9f9b32cacdbf4254206ee19621.jpg

Always wished I could shop at some of those cool creepy shops comics had back in the day.

You could go in and get all kinds of things to raise the dead,get a curse,meet a vampire or some kind of other kooky monster. You just don't find that kind of stuff today at Target or Walmart. :grin:

That's interesting. I love painted covers. I suppose it was less expensive to use the same cover on a few different things and unlikely people would notice back then. Or later, since the comics and books would be forgotten about until collectors discovered them!

Thanks for the info!

So this was a paperback? Thanks for looking it up!

Wow! I missed that. He's right, I meant to painted cover.

Thanks Mr. Scrooge!

:gossip: He was asking about the other cover, the painted one.

Btw, I should have somewhere a file with the corresponding paperback title and from there it should / may be possible to trace who painted this. Don't have the file here though.

Oftentimes, Avon comics (with painted covers) had a simultaneous or previous appearance of the same art, on one of their paperbacks. Not sure how often exactly. :)

He does look like Harry! He even has the suggestion of that weird hair of his!

I'm not sure if these are acceptable subject matter for this thread (horror only?) but here goes.....

c82363ab1943673798a0cad5b5205356462202b8.jpg

Looks like a horror cover to me!

Also, that puppet jester looks like Harry Osborn. Oops....is that allowed over here in Gold? :shy:

That Marvel Tales cover is awesome!

Well I wasn't sure what was accepted since the title of the thread is recent pre-code purchases but I was seeing pre-code horror material.

30736cc6159e6c319105c8f9bbac549bc62ae726.jpg

26336f661035695c9d29c7fdb27b553d231fd881.jpg

So I just picked these two up recently but posted them on the golden age thread. Actually only one is really golden age and the other is atomic age but I thought maybe people would freak if I posted them here. Solomon Grundy is at least a little scary though?

94b160146e93cbb050996fd8e786dbc64565fd34.jpg

93526f9115663957cf4bcd52dfa47612fab895b2.jpg

Did I destroy the threads purity yet? ???

Well I wasn't sure what was accepted since the title of the thread is recent pre-code purchases but I was seeing pre-code horror material.

So I just picked these two up recently but posted them on the golden age thread. Actually only one is really golden age and the other is atomic age but I thought maybe people would freak if I posted them here. Solomon Grundy is at least a little scary though?

ALL of the Congo Bill's, from Aug-Sept '54 to Aug-Sept '55 have Gerber scarcity indexes of 6 or 7. Your's is a 7 (21-50 known copies), while many pre-code books are at 4 (1,000-2,000 existing copies).

So while it is indeed out of place in one aspect, it shines in another. ;)

Thanks Mr. Scrooge!

Btw, I should have somewhere a file with the corresponding paperback title and from there it should / may be possible to trace who painted this. Don't have the file here though.

Oops - yeah wrong cover.

OK - I did some internet perusing and came up with this:

The original painting was from the Avon paperback The Blonde, The Gangster and The Private Eye.

The cover artist was Ann Cantor according to the Library of Congress' Catalog of Copyright Entries

149858.jpg.c0469ac2f840b5615b3116b3cbf771c8.jpg

ALL of the Congo Bill's, from Aug-Sept '54 to Aug-Sept '55 have Gerber scarcity indexes of 6 or 7. Your's is a 7 (21-50 known copies), while many pre-code books are at 4 (1,000-2,000 existing copies).

So while it is indeed out of place in one aspect, it shines in another. ;)

Indeed - never seen a scan of that book before.

Oops - yeah wrong cover.

The original painting was from the Avon paperback The Blonde, The Gangster and The Private Eye.

The cover artist was Ann Cantor according to the Library of Congress' Catalog of Copyright Entries

Thanks PoV! Didn't get a chance to check my file. Great you could turn up her name :applause:

Well, you kinda did by posting the Congo Bill #6, which is not a pre-code book. Only the first four issues are ;)

But you got some super cool books and you're not afraid to show them, so all is forgiven. :applause:

+1 It's really not that strictly policed, but certainly does tend towards PCH. SciFi (especially with horror elements) is always welcome, generally from 1949-55.

It's typical to use this thread for pre-code or horror influenced comics and to put general GA comics in the "Have a Cigar" thread. There are also topical threads by publisher, cover artists and theme.

That is very cool! Thanks for looking that up for me, guys! I love a good painting. Kind of unusual for a woman to do this sort of art. She's great, though!

Thanks Mr. Scrooge!

Oops - yeah wrong cover.