• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

How about some Pre-Code war? 2 flame-thrower covers and 1 Bernard Bailey from the Battle Cry series. Incredibly hard to find this title in Fine or better. This series was published by Stanmore (aka Gilmore, Aragon etc, publishers of Mr Mystery, Weird Mysteries, WTOF, Weird Chills etc.)

These are fantastic!

How are the contents, tame or gory? hm

How about some Pre-Code war? 2 flame-thrower covers and 1 Bernard Bailey from the Battle Cry series. Incredibly hard to find this title in Fine or better. This series was published by Stanmore (aka Gilmore, Aragon etc, publishers of Mr Mystery, Weird Mysteries, WTOF, Weird Chills etc.)

You're not kidding. These books just did not hold up well. Is the May 1952 issue #1? I have the other one but have never seen #12. Now look what you've done, I'm going to have to go look in my war boxes...

Jay, the interiors aren't over the top gory but they are fairly grim and of course violent war stuff. Bob, The May 52 issue is #1. Dig into your war boxes and see if you have any of the others. Seems like about half the run is available out there in low grade, some of the others not so much. High grade is impossible. What drew me to them is the Stanmore/Gilmor connection because that's my best-loved PCH. But they are cool, and cheap. So even though hunting them down in nice shape is a real hunt, finding them nice is twice as good because they're so affordable.

How about some Pre-Code war?

Those Battle Cry issues are great, tough to find, and gruesome. Love 'em (thumbs u

Jay, the interiors aren't over the top gory but they are fairly grim and of course violent war stuff. Bob, The May 52 issue is #1. Dig into your war boxes and see if you have any of the others. Seems like about half the run is available out there in low grade, some of the others not so much. High grade is impossible. What drew me to them is the Stanmore/Gilmor connection because that's my best-loved PCH. But they are cool, and cheap. So even though hunting them down in nice shape is a real hunt, finding them nice is twice as good because they're so affordable.

I'll post some in my thread when I get to the War boxes. These are pretty good as is War Fury and some of the Farrell titles. I rarely find any in high grade but as you say, they are way affordable and fun to find.

The mailbox was kind today!

IMG_20150217_165814_zpsflpzv5gt.jpg

Some classics in there! Still need a nice copy of that Voodoo myself. hm

Thanks guys but a lot of boardies helped with this hoard and I appreciate them. The Crime 22 was straight up luck and looks just as good as the one I spent nearly 3x on!

..... you're going to be busy tonight.......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I will. Now if I can just get a Black Cat 50. Anyone wants to get rid of one I would be a very happy man.

Edited by retrocomics

..... you're going to be busy tonight.......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I will. Now if I can just get a Black Cat 50. Anyone wants to get rid of one I would be a very happy man.

It's tough. They are out there, but nobody wants to sell them apparently.

Also one I got this week that I absolutely love.

CCI02172015_zpsxnrnsggi.jpg

That's terrific, love the Stan's Newsstand stamp!

What's with the reissued text box? Never seen that before. Did they actually do an additional printing for this issue?

What's with the reissued text box? Never seen that before. Did they actually do an additional printing for this issue?

I'm not sure as I have never seen one. Perhaps a replenishment notice on the last book in the stack? Adds some character at any rate.

I'm not sure as I have never seen one. Perhaps a replenishment notice on the last book in the stack? Adds some character at any rate.

I agree. It appears to be a sticker, is it?

I'd be curious to see what the indicia says on the inside. hm

Can any Chesler experts chime in?

I agree. It appears to be a sticker, is it?

I'd be curious to see what the indicia says on the inside. hm

Can any Chesler experts chime in?

It's a sticker and not printed on the book. Guess that news stand had display copies perhaps??