• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

Cool books. That Tracy is wicked funny.

I see the filter got me on the title. lol

Check out the likeness of the dude shot in the head in the 2 books that followed...

This crop of War Fury #1 is upside down of course

WarFuryUSD_01.jpg

comhorrific3_zpsg2zhfdsw.jpg

Woah, that's awesome! Which one came first? His hair looks more apropos in the war one...

Edited by Mystafo

Check out the likeness of the dude shot in the head in the 2 books that followed...

WarFuryUSD_01.jpg

Woah, that's awesome! Which one came first? His hair looks more apropos in the war one...

It's a well-known "self-swipe" by Don Heck. War Fury #1 came first, and then just the head was enlarged and quickly made into a cover for Horrific #3 -- no doubt for expendiency, but a classic cover was the result!

WarFuryUSD_01.jpg

It's a well-known "self-swipe" by Don Heck. War Fury #1 came first, and then just the head was enlarged and quickly made into a cover for Horrific #3 -- no doubt for expendiency, but a classic cover was the result!

Really great!! Thanks.

Edited by Mxwll Smrt

WarFuryUSD_01.jpg

Really great!! Thanks.

Oh, and FWIW, I did realize as I thought about it that it wasn't statted up (would be too much a loss of detail) -- Don Heck just flipped his own cover upside down and drew a fresh head, obviously extremely close to what he'd done earlier, but with understandable variations (in the blood around the bullet hole is most noticeable.) :)

Arrived today. Bottom corner crease and slight tear at top of FC, but sure looks better than the 6.0 it got. Just love this cover SO much.

Ast3.jpg

.... Love that one as well. I used to own the Bethlehem copies of that and # 5..... and back in my drinking days I went to a show drunk and traded those two and sharp copies of Batman 49 and 69 for a Batman 11. I still miss those Astonishings to this day. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Arrived today. Bottom corner crease and slight tear at top of FC, but sure looks better than the 6.0 it got. Just love this cover SO much.

Ast3.jpg

Anyone know anything about that "s" marking on the side if the book, it's not cookeville but I've seen it on other books most in very nice condition.

Edited by Johnny545

Hit the bin on comicconnect for this today. :grin:

1dc36a2f19a0627c9ba2ca53b546509a0466a89c.jpeg

Kind of a weird "one shot" that I always thought someone at DC must have seen this comic when they came up with the Challengers of the Unknown series. Even the logo reminds me of the later series.

Edited by Nerv

It's the very first horror book from Ace, followed by Beyond a couple months later. It could be that it was a trial balloon to see if there was a market for their horror books or perhaps they received a legal challenge from ACG's Adv Into the Unknown.

It's actually pretty cool Warren Kremer cover with decent stories, iirc.