• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

Looks like Harvey Kurtz to me too. Except the panel of Mr Mystery.

The simplified exaggerated figures, the use of silhouettes and some of those mouths are drawn like Kurtz. Or maybe he did most of it with an assistant or student doing the rest?

Stanley didn't pay well I heard and they sometimes used newbies and students.

That's what was throwing me off too. The Mr. Mystery panels look like they were spliced into the story. The rest does look like Kurtzman but who knows, it could be somebody just apeing his style. The story does have that EC feel to it though...

Big ups to boardie BC who hooked me up with Chilling Tales 15, and helped me complete this run. It has eluded me, and I'm pretty stoked to finally get a pretty copy. One of my favorite PCH covers - by Matt Fox.

bf2e5ce3-8e73-4d1c-9c5f-bfcb451c211b_zpseyjnjfzh.jpg

Edited by mrmyst

Big ups to boardie BC who hooked me up with Chilling Tales 15, and helped me complete this run. It has eluded me, and I'm pretty stoked to finally get a pretty copy. One of my favorite PCH covers - by Matt Fox.

Congrats one that one!

Great pickup!

Two things that always grabbed me about this cover;

The scale of the demons compared to the man and the tree hands.

Just wonderful stuff! :headbang:

Great pickup!

Yeah. I wonder if ol' Matt Fox had a thing for shrooms...or acid! I think the colors of the sky are what puts this cover over the top for me.

Great pickup!

Yeah. I wonder if ol' Matt Fox had a thing for shrooms...or acid! I think the colors of the sky are what puts this cover over the top for me.

Many of Matt Fox's covers are genuinely bizarre - they remind me of illustrations you'd find in 19th century middle European books featuring cautionary tales.

Great pickup!

Many of Matt Fox's covers are genuinely bizarre - they remind me of illustrations you'd find in 19th century middle European books featuring cautionary tales.

Good analogy Andy. They have a certain crazy Puritan folklore aspect. Apparently he was into woodcut and etching, among other things, which I think kind of comes through in his comics.