• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,223 posts in this topic

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, cupny said:

Creepy, creepy in my mail today.  Just finished reading - truly enjoyable.  A little beat up G/VG, but really fun.

Lawbreakers Suspense Stories 12.JPG

I had three copies of that book but can't find any of them.  Law Breakers has gruesome covers.  Especially the severed tongue issue.

Pick up tonight from Clink. 

I seem to remember Marvel using that name later on someone....hm

image.thumb.jpeg.483a7cd51622e05781862cb6db688c7d.jpeg

Joe Maneely was only 28 when he drew this cover.

It's because of covers like this I wonder what his work would have evolved into in just another 10 to 15 years. Comics lost someone very special in 1958.

6 hours ago, N e r V said:

It's because of covers like this I wonder what his work would have evolved into in just another 10 to 15 years. Comics lost someone very special in 1958.

Great cover!

I sometimes wonder where Maneely's career would have went had this tragedy never happened? What he would have achieved in the Silver and Bronze Ages? 

Maneely is forever among the precode greats and he did give us one of the greatest Atlas precode horror covers ever - Astonishing 30. 

My hope is that Maneely's family overcame this tragedy.

john

Edited by bronze johnny

20 hours ago, N e r V said:

Nerv, saw this post earlier and wanted to respond. This is by far one of my favorite Maneely covers! He was such an exceptional artist. If you read the Wiki bio on him it is said that his pencils were basic and that he really rendered his final art in his inks. Really a unique way of working! Although this cover story has little to do with the soon to be famous Spider-Man, I believe this is is an under the radar book that will one day see it's day. I can only imagine "what if" Maneely was still around, would he have been chosen to draw Spider-Man instead of Ditko? What would a Joe Maneely Spider-Man have been? Ah, the mind can imagine! Here's my copy that I love! :cloud9:

UncannyTales26.jpg

Also posted this in the Crime thread. Was out in San Francisco recently and saw Alcatraz. Thought it was cool to have an "Alcatraz Cover" that also happens to be a SOTI book. Also love the pure white cover. Cool book that I Wanted...

IMG_1707.JPG.bc6901b00b51e2ea3dd87f97f8a599e7.JPG

"We are not dead, we are alive... no one believes us!" (Right, because that's your biggest problem, not the fact that you're a bunch of heads on sticks.) Definitely a lot going on on this cover!

mystadv5.jpg

3 minutes ago, Point Five said:

"We are not dead, we are alive... no one believes us!" (Right, because that's your biggest problem, not the fact that you're a bunch of heads on sticks.) Definitely a lot going on on this cover!

mystadv5.jpg

Might have inspired the 80s band the Talking Heads? Love this cover!

3 minutes ago, Point Five said:

mystadv5.jpg

Might have inspired the 80s band the Talking Heads? Love this cover!

23 minutes ago, Point Five said:

mystadv5.jpg

They probably should have quit while they were a head! 

Thank you, I'm here all night! :fear:

Nice book!