• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MyComicShop @ Ebay...Anyone Know Them?

106 posts in this topic

In my experience, mycomicshop is a decent, honest operation. I've dealt with them a couple of times and been very pleased though neither of those times involved their raw grading so I can't comment on that.

If this thread is on the front page long enough, I imagine that Conan will find it and chime in and he has always seemed like someone who will always do his best to address any issues with mycomicshop.

1) I am not making a "stink"

2) you apparently will never be either "one of the ones who gets the shaft on a bad book" nor "that guy" if you don't use eBay as you stated earlier.

:shrug:

-slym

Slym, why does it matter rather I buy off e bay or not which I don't any more since I've been posting here....? If you keep responding as in trying to dig like I have something to hide because I've been apparently wronged by these guys I think that would be in other words you making a tiny Stink perhaps? My rantrant is over just giving my 2c

Are you the mycomicshop owner, marketing guy or apologist ?

I've been unhappy with their books multiple times. While completing runs of ASM, Batman, and others, I've ordered a number of books from them. I don't remember how many orders, 4 or 5 probably. In every order I had multiple books that were significantly damaged.

I'm not talking about books being over graded a grade or two. I'm talking about over looking a serious flaw like a pop'd staple, a large tear on the cover, and things of that nature. They just aren't paying attention when they are sending out the books.

The problem is, everytime I tried to resolve the problem their only offer was for me to send the book back for a refund. I can't justify the time and cost of shipping back a couple books that cost a few bucks. So I just had to eat it. Maybe I have come to expect an Amazon.com level of customer service, in the case of a $3 ASM I would only be happy if they just said keep the book and gave a full refund. Expecting to have the buyer ship it back is sort of asinine in my opinion.

Anyway I don't order from them anymore if I can help it.

None of the above.

I am just a guy who, if I don't use a service or shop somewhere, won't go around telling people how much I'd never use them.

-slym

None of the above.

I am just a guy who, if I don't use a service or shop somewhere, won't go around telling people how much I'd never use them.

-slym

Good to know (thumbs u thanks...

I've been unhappy with their books multiple times. While completing runs of ASM, Batman, and others, I've ordered a number of books from them. I don't remember how many orders, 4 or 5 probably. In every order I had multiple books that were significantly damaged.

I'm not talking about books being over graded a grade or two. I'm talking about over looking a serious flaw like a pop'd staple, a large tear on the cover, and things of that nature. They just aren't paying attention when they are sending out the books.

The problem is, everytime I tried to resolve the problem their only offer was for me to send the book back for a refund. I can't justify the time and cost of shipping back a couple books that cost a few bucks. So I just had to eat it. Maybe I have come to expect an Amazon.com level of customer service, in the case of a $3 ASM I would only be happy if they just said keep the book and gave a full refund. Expecting to have the buyer ship it back is sort of asinine in my opinion.

Anyway I don't order from them anymore if I can help it.

So in other words, you want to have your cake and eat it too. Expecting a full refund AND keeping the book smacks a little of a heightened sense of entitlement. :facepalm:

Would you still be unhappy if the seller gave the full refund and paid for return shipping? Just because you don't want to "justify the time and cost of shipping back books?" doh!

Hi guys :hi:

Appreciate the kind words about us in the thread. As always, anybody's welcome to PM me if you have a question or there's something I can help you with.

They are the tightest graders out there.

Bull-fertilizer. rantrant

Any company that sends out VF+ books when NM+ books were ordered are not the tightest graders out there

Bob Storms, Nick Beckett, now they could be considered the "tightest" graders out there. (thumbs u

I think you're always going to hear some differences of opinion on our grading because some people are ordering $1.50 and $2.00 comics from us, and some people are ordering more expensive books. Most of our comics priced under $10 are graded on the simple NM, VF, FN, etc scale and are not individually scanned. Those above $10 are graded on the ten point scale and are individually scanned. Even for the cheapest comics, we never "grade through the bag", but it is true that a $50 comic gets a more detailed, considered grade than a $2.00 comic; and is graded by a more experienced grader. It's not financially feasible to put the same effort and care into grading a $2.00 comic that you do into a $50 comic.

For our ten point graded comics, I agree with the comments elsewhere in this thread about us being tight graders. Most of these books that you buy from us will grade at our grade or even a bit higher if you submit them to CGC. Very, very few books bought from us will come back from CGC at a lower grade than we'd assigned.

For our cheaper inventory graded on the NM, VF, etc scale, I think our grading compares favorably with Mile High or any similar dealer with a large inventory of comics at the lower end of the price range, but we're not perfect, and our grading isn't as good as our grading on the ten point graded books.

Joe, regarding your comment about ordering NM+ and receiving VF+. We don't assign NM+ 9.6 or NM/M 9.8 grades to raws unless we're very confident of the condition. I'd be pretty surprised if somebody ordered a NM+ from us and got a VF+, unless there was damage to the book somewhere along the way during shipping. Or maybe that was intended as more of a hypothetical statement on your part rather than a specific example.

I think our grading on our expensive books is on par with other well-regarded graders like the two fine gentlemen you mentioned. Our grading on $2 comics is not at that level, but take a look at the prices of the books listed on highgradecomics.com. A big chunk of the inventory is over $50 or $100 in value, with a $15 or $25 book here and there. Comparing our accuracy on $2 and $3 moderns with Bob Storms' accuracy on $100 Silver and Bronze isn't the fairest comparison. It's easier to have a sterling reputation for grading when your inventory consists of almost exclusively high-value books graded by a single operator; it's harder to carry that same accuracy over to a high volume of $1 and $2 moderns graded by a team.

Hope that's helpful. Good night all, and have a good weekend!

Does anyone know who owns this company who sells on Ebay? I'm assuming they have to be on this board for sure!

Yes, mycomicshop was/is Lone Star Comics. They have a large web presence and run their own auctions in addition to selling on ebay. They are members of the boards and post from time to time.

Do you have any specific questions?

Thanks everyone I was just curious what your experience has been.

So far the last few orders I purchased from them the ebay description said 'NM' but when all the books showed up they were all, 100% 'FINE' at best!

Just disappointing because I really needed NM books before a con. Since they were such I couldn't get half of the signatures I was hoping to get. Now I have to wait another year. :facepalm::tonofbricks::sorry:

This has been my experience as well for under $10 books. Sure, you'll hear the story about the few people who got lucky and received cheaper books that were undergraded, but when you are buying from MyComicShop or Mile High Comics (2 of the largest back issue sellers in the country), you really should expect most comics to be overgraded by a grade or two when priced under $10.

A MyComicShop representative has stated here on the boards that comics they sell that are under $10 are a shoot (not exactly in those words, but this was the gist.) If you buy comics over $10, apparently they take more care in grading the books. Knowing this, they should simply have a good, very good, and fine or better price for the less expensive books. When you are buying books higher than fine from them, expect them in fine and feel fortunate if they show up in better condition.

Real life examples

Avengers 1 MCS grade-2.5 CGC 4.0

TTA 27 MCS grade 4.0 CGC 6.0

Spiderman 11 MCS grade 5.0 CGC 5.5

Nuff said.

None of those books were pressed or in anyway manipulated between the two grades.

Appreciate the kind words about us in the thread. As always, anybody's welcome to PM me if you have a question or there's something I can help you with.

Any company that sends out VF+ books when NM+ books were ordered are not the tightest graders out there

Bob Storms, Nick Beckett, now they could be considered the "tightest" graders out there. (thumbs u

I think you're always going to hear some differences of opinion on our grading because some people are ordering $1.50 and $2.00 comics from us, and some people are ordering more expensive books. Most of our comics priced under $10 are graded on the simple NM, VF, FN, etc scale and are not individually scanned. Those above $10 are graded on the ten point scale and are individually scanned. Even for the cheapest comics, we never "grade through the bag", but it is true that a $50 comic gets a more detailed, considered grade than a $2.00 comic; and is graded by a more experienced grader. It's not financially feasible to put the same effort and care into grading a $2.00 comic that you do into a $50 comic.

For our ten point graded comics, I agree with the comments elsewhere in this thread about us being tight graders. Most of these books that you buy from us will grade at our grade or even a bit higher if you submit them to CGC. Very, very few books bought from us will come back from CGC at a lower grade than we'd assigned.

For our cheaper inventory graded on the NM, VF, etc scale, I think our grading compares favorably with Mile High or any similar dealer with a large inventory of comics at the lower end of the price range, but we're not perfect, and our grading isn't as good as our grading on the ten point graded books.

Joe, regarding your comment about ordering NM+ and receiving VF+. We don't assign NM+ 9.6 or NM/M 9.8 grades to raws unless we're very confident of the condition. I'd be pretty surprised if somebody ordered a NM+ from us and got a VF+, unless there was damage to the book somewhere along the way during shipping. Or maybe that was intended as more of a hypothetical statement on your part rather than a specific example.

I think our grading on our expensive books is on par with other well-regarded graders like the two fine gentlemen you mentioned. Our grading on $2 comics is not at that level, but take a look at the prices of the books listed on highgradecomics.com. A big chunk of the inventory is over $50 or $100 in value, with a $15 or $25 book here and there. Comparing our accuracy on $2 and $3 moderns with Bob Storms' accuracy on $100 Silver and Bronze isn't the fairest comparison. It's easier to have a sterling reputation for grading when your inventory consists of almost exclusively high-value books graded by a single operator; it's harder to carry that same accuracy over to a high volume of $1 and $2 moderns graded by a team.

Thank you.

I was going to make the same point about Bob Storms. He is a very tight grader, but most of his books are $50 or more. I'm sure some $2 books he has (if any) are not as tightly graded.

I sent in a Brave and the Bold #30 to MCS that I conservatively graded as a GD, but they were even more conservative and called it a FR/GD. I am 100% positive that if I sent that book to CGC, that it would get a 2.0+.

That's too funny. I was just stating this was your position concerning books. If you buy $10 and up books, you grade carefully. Under $10 and the grading accuracy drops dramatically. Very similar to Mile High Comics!

Why would you be surprised by somebody ordering a NM+ and receiving a VF+? There have been examples given here over the years of this happening to boardies. It has happened to me. And not just with books under $50. Nothing "hypothetical" about my statement. Just fact about books I have received from MCS. I also doubt that a ripped back cover on a book and a 2" corner crease on another book happened due to shipping damage. NM+ books indeed. :(

It just goes to show that not everybody has the same experiences when dealing with businesses in the real world. For every 10 happy customers there is always the chance that 2-3 customers did not have a satisfactory experience.

Does anyone know who owns this company who sells on Ebay? I'm assuming they have to be on this board for sure!

I don't think I'd ever buy from them. 887 Negetive and neutral feedback in the last 6 months!

Are you being serious or sarcastic?

How many positives?

Good Lord!

With that many transactions, it is quite impressive to have that many positives on a site like Ebay.

Why would you be surprised by somebody ordering a NM+ and receiving a VF+? There have been examples given here over the years of this happening to boardies. It has happened to me. And not just with books under $50. Nothing "hypothetical" about my statement. Just fact about books I have received from MCS. I also doubt that a ripped back cover on a book and a 2" corner crease on another book happened due to shipping damage. NM+ books indeed. :(

It just goes to show that not everybody has the same experiences when dealing with businesses in the real world. For every 10 happy customers there is always the chance that 2-3 customers did not have a satisfactory experience.

But when you contacted them about the overgrading, did they take the book back and cover your return shipping?

In the past year out of five orders that combined made up about 30 books, three of the books were overgraded in my opinion. Although the MCS staff may politely grumble "Not everyone has the same definition of NM," they took the books back each time and covered my expenses of returning the books.

What was your experience when you contacted them on these NM+ books?

I have bought from them and every time has been excellent. I will continue to buy from them. Fast efficient and well packaged. They also always have an impressive selection.

I have bought from them and every time has been excellent. I will continue to buy from them. Fast efficient and well packaged. They also always have an impressive selection.

+1

I've purchased a ton of books from them over the years. Most of it was modern readers.

I've said this before, but if you want a 9.2+ book you should just buy a graded book. It is tough to predict CGC stance on books. Add on top of that the fact that damage can occur in shipping and who knows.

MyComicShop is great and provided an outstanding service. Keep up the hard work!

I have also bought quite a bit of stuff from MyComicShop, and sold them books on several occasions as well.

Every single experience has been outstanding in every way.

I have found their grading to be extremely consistent and conservative--certainly more so than CGC and, with a couple of exceptions, the sellers I have purchased books from on this forum.

One thing I would add, though, is that it's clear that their inventory has been graded over the course of many, many years. My impression is that the older stuff is not as tightly graded--just based on the scans. Which is why I always want to see pictures for any book I am buying--regardless of the seller.

We do not list any of our sub-$10 graded books graded as "NM+". For sub-$10 books, the highest grade we use is "NM". For the more expensive books graded on the 10 point scale, we'll use grades like "NM- 9.2", "NM 9.4", "NM+ 9.6", and (very rarely) "NM/M 9.8".

My point is that the only way you could order a NM+ book from us is if it was one of our ten point graded books. If you ordered a non ten point "NM" book from us and we missed a flaw that would knock it down to VF or VF+ish, yes that's possible and will occasionally happen. But if you ordered a book we graded as "NM+ 9.6", the accuracy should be quite tight. As I said previously, we're very picky about assigning top-end grades like NM+ 9.6 or NM/M 9.8. Nothing's impossible, so yeah somehow maybe we could mess up on a book, but if that were to happen that should be the exception that proves the rule. It will be extremely, extremely unlikely for a book we've graded as NM+ 9.6 to have overlooked flaws that knock it down to VF+ 8.5.

If you know for sure that what you ordered was listed as "NM+ 9.6" and not just "NM", then I'm not disputing your experience, but it should be very, very unlikely for something like that to happen.