• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Man Of Steel" Thread

962 posts in this topic

CBR - Could "Man of Steel" Have A $100 Million Opening Weekend?

"Man of Steel" premieres tomorrow in the United States, and according to industry analysts, it's tracking to have a large opening weekend. According to The Wrap, Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures have predicted an $85 million box office take over the three days, tracking is currently at $95 million with some analysts predicting $105 million for the weekend. If "Man of Steel" were to have a $100 million opening weekend, it would be among only 24 films to have done so. According to Exhibitor Relations vice president and senior analyst Jeff Bock, "That extra zero can make a big difference in the headlines, which translates to word of mouth and buzz."

"Man of Steel" is scheduled to open in 4,207 theaters domestically, 3,350 of which will be in 3D and 331 of which will be IMAX showings. The strong projections are somewhat unsurprising, especially considering the international debuts of the Superman reboot. "Man of Steel's" premiere in the Philippines garnered the country's biggest opening day in history with $1.7 million.

Warner Bros. obviously has faith in the film's staying power despite the current critical reception -- "Man of Steel" currently has an aggregate score of 55 on Metacritic and 57 on Rotten Tomatoes (compared to the 72 on Metacritic and 75 on Rotten Tomatoes that "Superman Returns" holds) -- as the studio has fast-tracked a "Man of Steel" sequel already. Critical reception aside, a huge opening weekend will likely have a large impact on the rumored "Justice League" film, whose future reportedly rests on the success of "Man of Steel."

"Man of Steel," which cost about $225 million to produce and another $150 million or more to market and release, stars Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Michael Shannon as Zod, Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent, Diane Lane as Martha Kent, Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Ayelet Zurer as Lara Lor-Van, Antje Traue as Faora, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, Christopher Meloni as Colonel Hardy, Harry Lennix as General Swanwick, Michael Kelly as Steve Lombard and Richard Schiff as Dr. Emil Hamilton.

Since when did movie critics actually know anything about what constitutes a good movie?

Pretty much every time I see a stellar review of something it's for some drek like "The Lake House" or "The Sisterhood of the Travelling pants". They never come clamoring for "Evil Dead" or "Cabin in the Woods" or anything not related to estrogen and tea-time.

Hmm... Let's see...

The Cabin In The Woods - MetaScore 72

The Sisterhood Of The Travelling Pants - MetaScore 66

The Lake House - MetaScore 52

So, I'm thinking... "no"?

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants - Tomatometer - 77%

The Lake House - Tomatometer - 36%

Cabin in the Woods - Tomatometer - 92%

Evil Dead (1981) - Tomatometer - 98%

If he wasn't being sarcastic I guess this would be a bit of an oops.

Since when did movie critics actually know anything about what constitutes a good movie?

Pretty much every time I see a stellar review of something it's for some drek like "The Lake House" or "The Sisterhood of the Travelling pants". They never come clamoring for "Evil Dead" or "Cabin in the Woods" or anything not related to estrogen and tea-time.

Hmm... Let's see...

The Cabin In The Woods - MetaScore 72

The Sisterhood Of The Travelling Pants - MetaScore 66

The Lake House - MetaScore 52

So, I'm thinking... "no"?

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants - Tomatometer - 77%

The Lake House - Tomatometer - 36%

Cabin in the Woods - Tomatometer - 92%

Evil Dead (1981) - Tomatometer - 98%

If he wasn't being sarcastic I guess this would be a bit of an oops.

The critics really screwed the pooch with Cabin in the Woods at 92%. The audience rating of 76% is much more realistic. I'd probably give it 60% at best.

I'll tell you why I will enjoy Man of Steel.

There is a reviewer in a paper over here called "Tookey", that's his surname.

Every film he has reviewed which he has disliked, I've liked.

He gave Man of Steel 3/5, said there was too much action and it was too loud.

This is the same guy that gave Skyfall 5/5, citing that not only was it the best Bond film of all time but quite possibly the best action movie of all time.

Sorry Tookey, you don't have a clue, Skyfall was overrated and average.

So right there is why I already know I'm more then likely going to enjoy Man of Steel. (thumbs u

Too much action lol

Too serious lol

I'm not sure what type of Superman film these critics want to see.

But I want to see a serious movie with plenty of action.

It can be done.

I'll tell you why I will enjoy Man of Steel.

There is a reviewer in a paper over here called "Tookey", that's his surname.

Every film he has reviewed which he has disliked, I've liked.

He gave Man of Steel 3/5, said there was too much action and it was too loud.

This is the same guy that gave Skyfall 5/5, citing that not only was it the best Bond film of all time but quite possibly the best action movie of all time.

Sorry Tookey, you don't have a clue, Skyfall was overrated and average.

So right there is why I already know I'm more then likely going to enjoy Man of Steel. (thumbs u

Sorry, but Tookey can blow it out his beak.

9153270c-bf81-48d7-905f-f86f838f5f11.jpg

Funny that I've read every IMDB user review so far on advanced screenings and they've all given it glowing reviews.

Only "professional" critics seem to be having issues. hm

Too much action lol

Too serious lol

I'm not sure what type of Superman film these critics want to see.

But I want to see a serious movie with plenty of action.

It can be done.

It has been done by a better guy than Zack Snyder--which isn't a knock on him because I'm a fan of his--it just apparently hasn't been done with Superman. Or maybe it has, I'll see this weekend. :popcorn:

new-joker-poster-heath-ledger-the-dark-knight.jpeg

I don't blame the critics.. I blame DC.

Let's face it.. Superman is just dumb. He's a faultless ideal, and in great storytelling, that's a HUGE no-no unless you're writing the Bible.

Sounds like neither the comic or the movie is for you, then.

-slym

Let's face it.. Superman is just dumb. He's a faultless ideal, and in great storytelling, that's a HUGE no-no unless you're writing the Bible.

He's not wrong though. It makes it nearly impossible to come up with good villains for him to fight, and it similarly makes it difficult for fans to identify with him. Stan Lee's fundamental character design present in every single one of his Marvel heroes was based upon not making them as flawless a character as Superman is.

He's not wrong though. It makes it nearly impossible to come up with good villains for him to fight, and it similarly makes it difficult for fans to identify with him. Stan Lee's fundamental character design present in every single one of his Marvel heroes was based upon not making them as flawless a character as Superman is.

I hear you. For the record, I wasn't insulting him, just stating what seems to be true.

-slym

Funny that I've read every IMDB user review so far on advanced screenings and they've all given it glowing reviews.

Only "professional" critics seem to be having issues. hm

C'mon man, who gets themselves into early screenings? It's loaded up with fanboys. If we're saying the evil East Coast pinhead intellectual Ivy League pasty-faced critics can't be trusted, neither can legions of fanboys on opening night.