• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Man Of Steel" Thread

962 posts in this topic

But also not new when you compare it to all the SH movies made today.

Different times my friend . . . (shrug)

I dunno, I didn't see Thor, CA, Iron Man, or Batman snapping someone's neck in front of a family with children. That's pretty dark no matter who the hero is, much less the one who is sorta known for not killing. I know plenty of "henchmen" styles have been dispatched in the other movies, but somehow it's a bit weightier when it's just a 1 on 1 blatant "I'm going to sever your spine with my bare hands" moment.

Again - I understand and even appreciated the treatment of it. But I was also pretty shocked and left not sure what to think about it

I dunno, I didn't see Thor, CA, Iron Man, or Batman snapping someone's neck in front of a family with children. That's pretty dark no matter who the hero is, much less the one who is sorta known for not killing. I know plenty of "henchmen" styles have been dispatched in the other movies, but somehow it's a bit weightier when it's just a 1 on 1 blatant "I'm going to sever your spine with my bare hands" moment.

Again - I understand and even appreciated the treatment of it. But I was also pretty shocked and left not sure what to think about it

do you mean that family that Zod was going to turn into melted slag :eek: how do you propose he would have stopped him if he didn't neutralize him

do you mean that family that Zod was going to turn into melted slag :eek: how do you propose he would have stopped him if he didn't neutralize him

Did you guys catch Mark Waid's comments on the matter?

Hahaha - yes. Well I already admitted I didn't see another way they could have believably and satisfactorily done it. Doesn't mean it isn't dark haha

Wow - he's a lot more eloquent than me - and perhaps a bit harsher. But the essential elements are really, exactly what I was thinking & feeling too...

I don't agree with his final conclusion - but the critique along the way is dead on

Wow - he's a lot more eloquent and me - and perhaps a bit harsher. But the essential elements are really, exactly what I was thinking & feeling too...

I don't agree with his final conclusion - but the critique along the way is dead on

Waid is right. It's definitely a game changer.

Did anyone see this easter egg

wayne industries satellite

What was that.....

what did that voice say at the end of the credits

"I buried Paul"

I'm sure this isn't going to happen again, but I'm definitely done with any Walmart pre-screenings after this. I'm still furious about how they ruined such a great part of the movie.

Don't give up on them I tell you. I won't after my first one last night - it was a 7:pm show in the NJ suburbs and the theatre was only about half-filed. But after the movie when we left there were lines of people already forming for 3 sold-out mid-night shows.

I think that a lot of people didn't know about the tickets at WALMART, as the mob we expected to find when we got there was not there.

But I'll tell you they were there when we were leaving at 9:30 PM for a 12:00 midnight show :grin:

Where did you see it? I'm in NJ and saw it at the Garden State Plaza. There was definitely a line forming at 9:30 when we were leaving the theater.

So I am back from an afternoon viewing of Man of Steel. I was entertained, it is visually dazzling and it contains some excellent action sequences and will satisfy those who want to see Superman fight "stuff"

I give it 6 out of 10.

Spoilers and what I really think next. Don't read if you don't want the movie spoiled.

I really feel like I have just watched someone else play a video game rather than enjoyed a movie.

The beginning Krypton stuff felt more like a Star Wars scene, but from the later movies where there is so much going on, and flying alien creatures and bombs and explosions. I didn't like the first 15 minutes at all.

Then the movie gets better, when we advance to Kal-El living on earth as an adult among humans and his exploration of self and not being accepted by earthlings. We see him struggle with keeping his abilities a secret versus doing what he knows to be right and using his gifts to help those in need. He chooses to help those that need aid, uses his powers, is seen using them and he sees how the humans look at him and this makes him escape his reality and drift. I like this part of the movie.

Then begins the part of the movie that was a video game to me. It becomes all action, fights, explosions, ships flying around, invincible guy fights other invincible guys and buildings gets smashed and destroyed and giant machines that will change / destroy the earth are deployed that Superman also has to stop destroy/ fight. Part of me was amazed at how well done visually the action is in this movie, then I start to realize how I have seen it all already in Xbox video games or other movies of this type. Somehow I am taken out of the entire experience while I am watching all the action.

Watching Superman fight someone else as powerful and indestructible as he is in the middle of a city is visually amazing and is complete with all the requisite explosions, and buildings collapsing and people in peril. It is fantastic action. Yet I come away from that viewing experience and found it felt like I needed to hit the button to advance to the next mission and it didn't feel anything at all like a satisfying movie. If action for the sake of making sure we have Superman in an action film is your thing you will love this movie.

Saw it I loved it ill give it an 7-10 ill most likely see it again. Who ever thinks the avengers can beat the justice league... Watch the movie superman solos avengers basically.
the more I think of the end the more weight it starts to have on the character.

The worst thing about Superman returns was its drab, grey, depressive style & tone.

They did it again. Only with even more gray. Or grey, if you prefer.

The filmmakers should be banished to the Phantom Zone.