• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Man Of Steel" Thread

962 posts in this topic

Comic Vine gave it 5/5

Yeah, Gregg Katzman loved the movie.

its more of a review i'm likely to pay attention to, first one i've seen from a genuine fan

Exactly.

This also could be one of those movies that the critics pan, but does well at the box office.

Some people were going to say, unless you used the [John] Williams score, it’s heresy. Or unless he’s got the underpants, it’s heresy. Or the spit curl, it’s heresy.

Yeah it is!!

lol

I keep hearing talk that if this movie does well at the box office, it's Justice League and then The Flash.

I really hope it does well. It's good for the comic industry; and with all the merchandising, it's not a bad thing for the economy.

The critic's reaction is not encouraging though.

:wishluck:

yeah :wishluck:

I hope it rocks, I hope JLA rocks, I hope The Flash rocks, and I hope Marvel & DC can each put out two good superhero movies every year until I'm 90 years old.

Capture_zps33f5ace9.jpg

The critics are not liking this movie very much, and the trend is downward as more weigh in.

You guys are such pessimists--the critics are liking it fine. :makepoint: A lot of you seem to carry your favorite superheroes around like a chip on your shoulder feeling butthurt if everyone doesn't tell you that your little pet is the prettiest little pet they ever did see. You're like a normal-weight bulimic who continuously cries about how fat she is because she's sometimes not the thinnest girl in the room. :cry::baiting:

Ridiculous.

78 is not a scientific sample.

It's probably over half of the total they'll have a week from now. Could be less, but it's definitely more than a third. The score rarely changes by more than 5 points or so from here on out.

As of 7:00 AM PST Today

MoS6-12-13_zps30738c0f.jpg

Big disparity between the 49 critics and the 81,641 fan expectations. :)

The actual quality of a film and the quality we fans are all hoping for usually aren't directly related, so I'm not seeing a disparity. After the film comes out RT switches the "want to see" stat over to a percentage who "liked it"; I do expect a disparity there as that's typically the case. I'd be surprised if the "liked it" score stays so high at 97% though.

Here's an interesting comparison to Superman Returns. I recall the audience rating being MUCH higher than 67% back when it came out, but people have hammered it in succeeding years.

Superman Returns Tomatometer.jpg

As of 6:30 PM PST Today

Mos6_zps30b5f746.jpg

As of 8:30 PM PST Today

Capture_zps33f5ace9.jpg

The critics are not liking this movie very much, and the trend is downward as more weigh in.

As of 4:40 AM PST 6/13/13

Capture_zpsb4d92a0a.jpg

Don't hate the messenger.

Grim, Violent Man of Steel Sells Superman’s Soul for Spectacle

By Rachel Edidin 06.13.13 6:30 AM

LINK

Man of Steel hasn’t killed Superman or ruined Superman. It doesn’t erase the iconic versions of the character, nor change what he can represent. It hasn’t retroactively destroyed your childhood or mine. All that good stuff is still there: the first two Christopher Reeve movies, the three-part premiere of the 1996 animated series, the adaptation of All-Star Superman, any episode of Justice League, or even the old Fleischer cartoons.

But skip Man of Steel. If this is what happened to the Man of Tomorrow, I’ll stick with yesterday.

As of 7:00 AM PST Today

MoS6-12-13_zps30738c0f.jpg

Big disparity between the 49 critics and the 81,641 fan expectations. :)

The actual quality of a film and the quality we fans are all hoping for usually aren't directly related, so I'm not seeing a disparity. After the film comes out RT switches the "want to see" stat over to a percentage who "liked it"; I do expect a disparity there as that's typically the case. I'd be surprised if the "liked it" score stays so high at 97% though.

Here's an interesting comparison to Superman Returns. I recall the audience rating being MUCH higher than 67% back when it came out, but people have hammered it in succeeding years.

Superman Returns Tomatometer.jpg

Mos6_zps30b5f746.jpg

Capture_zps33f5ace9.jpg

Capture_zpsb4d92a0a.jpg

6/13/13 6:00 AM PST

Capture_zps84c99a7d.jpg

:banana:

Capture_zps84c99a7d.jpg

I'm detecting signs of an obsessive-compulsive disorder in you. hm:insane:

No fair leaving out my dancing banana. :banana:

Dancing about as you obsess does not alter my diagnosis. :sumo:

Mos6_zps30b5f746.jpg

Capture_zps33f5ace9.jpg

Capture_zpsb4d92a0a.jpg

Capture_zps84c99a7d.jpg

:banana:

mos_zps32dc0408.jpg

:(