• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man of Steel down to 66% on Rotten Tomatoes...

167 posts in this topic

:shrug:

That doesn't help me! lol

What I wrote was how I feel. :)

I'm gonna give it another shot then. I tried 300 last night and couldn't get all the way through it for boredom. Maybe I'll have better luck with Sucker Punch.

Wow! I thought 300 was an awesome movie.

The whole thing was in slow mo. It's just shy of 2 hours ... without the slow mo I bet it'd be 1:25. I mean, I like style as much of the next guy, but there has to be a little something behind it. You can't just mess with some filters in post production, slow everything down and call it brilliant. Or rather you can, but I won't be a fan of it. There's gotta be more to it.

The McNulty-as-treacherous-politician subplot was worn out a half century ago ... the rejected misfit is just as played out ... and you can't get me to care about the Spartans just because they're outnumbered. There was nothing about them that made me like them. Rhey're just a bunch of over-extreme military zealots who would've gone extinct in a generation if they'd been real. All that foolishness about their dashing babies on the rocks if they're not strong ... why is that not just laughably silly?

R[T]hey're just a bunch of over-extreme military zealots who would've gone extinct in a generation if they'd been real. All that foolishness about their dashing babies on the rocks if they're not strong ... why is that not just laughably silly?

The History Channel has some great featurettes on Spartan society and values. Check them out.

http://www.history.com/topics/spartans

When you hear the term "Spartan living", you only get a hint of what they considered normal with lifestyle and simplicity of expectations.

R[T]hey're just a bunch of over-extreme military zealots who would've gone extinct in a generation if they'd been real. All that foolishness about their dashing babies on the rocks if they're not strong ... why is that not just laughably silly?

The History Channel has some great featurettes on Spartan society and values. Check them out.

When you hear the term "Spartan living", you only get a hint of what they considered normal with lifestyle and simplicity of expectations.

Sure, there's history behind it. But take it to a silly extreme and it's not intense, it's just silly.

All that foolishness about their dashing babies on the rocks if they're not strong ... why is that not just laughably silly?

Hosea 13:16

What about it?

The supreme deity said to do it to the enemies of the chosen people.

Today, that same supreme deity is called "omnibenevolent".

I'm pretty sure that's the perfect definition of "laughably silly".

All that foolishness about their dashing babies on the rocks if they're not strong ... why is that not just laughably silly?

What about it?

Sorry, still don't know what you mean.

Sure, there's history behind it. But take it to a silly extreme and it's not intense, it's just silly.

Extreme in today's standards may have been normal to other societies. And they were extreme by today's standards.

Read about the Roman Caesars, and you hear stories of events where in today's standards there would be crimes-against-humanity trials that they would laugh at. There was one Caesar that was caught and killed by his enemies. They stuffed his body with hay so they could keep him at their dinner table to remind them of their victory. Different times - different standards of living - definitely hard to relate to how harsh living was at points in history.

What about it?

Clearly.

What about it?

Clearly.

Seriously, were you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

I think this turd is going to continue to spiral down the bowl. What a disappointing movie.

Snyder's previous films were all intelligent and stylish. This was SUPER dumb.

Titanic made a billion dollars and all Rose had to do was take turns on the floating door.

This movie will be judged by the box office, and that box office will be determined by the demographics LEAST likely to step into a comic book store.

All that will matter is what the girls, young ladies, and women decide.

Everyone else is fooling themselves if they think they are part of the group that matters.

Extreme in today's standards may have been normal to other societies. And they were extreme by today's standards.

Read about the Roman Caesars, and you hear stories of events where in today's standards there would be crimes-against-humanity trials that they would laugh at. There was one Caesar that was caught and killed by his enemies. They stuffed his body with hay so they could keep him at their dinner table to remind them of their victory. Different times - different standards of living - definitely hard to relate to how harsh living was at points in history.

C'mon, you can't tell me you think Frank Miller's take on Spartan society is anything close to historically accurate, different times or no.

What about it?

Clearly.

I'm trying to stay away from 'religious discussion', but we're talking about Superman already, then discussing the behavior of Spartans...

and I figured we might as well talk about the most widely-known work of fiction ever written.

:whistle:

What about it?

Clearly.

I'm trying to stay away from 'religious discussion', but we're talking about Superman already, then discussing the behavior of Spartans...

and I figured we might as well talk about the most widely-known work of fiction ever written.

lol I still don't get whether you were agreeing with me or not ... and quoting the Bible is not the best way to stay away from religion, my good man.

What about it?

Clearly.

lol I still don't get whether you were agreeing with me or not ... and quoting the Bible is not the best way to stay away from religion, my good man.

I said I was staying away from the discussion. :grin:

C'mon, you can't tell me you think Frank Miller's take on Spartan society is anything close to historically accurate, different times or no.

Even in today's U.S. Army, they teach small unit warfare, and the value this brings. Especially when touching on urban warfare training, and the damage a smaller unit can inflict on a much larger unit by utilizing its surroundings wisely. What situation do you think they reference as one of the historical points to prove the strategy's value? And you bet there are many other examples where this strategy has been applied.

Frank Miller was taking this story that impressed him after seeing "The 300 Spartans" when he was younger, and personalized it by fleshing out the characters in his comics. This way, we the readers could relate more to the content rather than feeling this was just another history review.

Even in today's U.S. Army, they teach small unit warfare, and the value this brings. Especially when touching on urban warfare training, and the damage a smaller unit can inflict on a much larger unit by utilizing its surroundings wisely. What situation do you think they reference as one of the historical points to prove the strategy's value? And you bet there are many other examples where this strategy has been applied.

Frank Miller was taking this story that impressed him after seeing "The 300 Spartans" when he was younger, and personalized it by fleshing out the characters in his comics. This way, we the readers could relate more to the content rather than feeling this was just another history review.

Not sure what the first paragraph is related to, but sure, I agree. 300 is still way too exaggerated and silly.

Actually, I haven't read the comic so I shouldn't talk about Miler's take, although watching the film I got the feeling it was a Miller fanboy's outing. Anyway, there's a lot of angles you can come at this story from, and the angle chosen (they're so buff and mighty and, well, SPARTAN!!!) left me feeling cold and mocking.

Not sure what the first paragraph is related to, but sure, I agree. 300 is still way too exaggerated and silly.

Actually, I haven't read the comic so I shouldn't talk about Miler's take, although watching the film I got the feeling it was a Miller fanboy's outing. Anyway, there's a lot of angles you can come at this story from, and the angle chosen (they're so buff and mighty and, well, SPARTAN!!!) left me feeling cold and mocking.

I think to have a conversation about this topic, you have to review even a summary of the battle itself. Then that first paragraph may have made more sense. But I mean no offense in stating that. The Battle of Thermopylae is famous for a smaller unit (300 + as there were more than Spartans) taking on a Persian force (100,000 +). To have successfully achieved a delaying tactic - not an outright defeat - is why this stands out as one of the most recognized military historic achievements. So I was excited when I heard of Miller's comics covering this battle.

The rest you have concerns with I didn't let it bother me as much (e.g. excessive muscles, long-winded speeches). But I get it about the massive Xerxes representation and the giant monster-men that appeared throughout the film. Those were all about Action-Drama, and not real history.