• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man of Steel down to 66% on Rotten Tomatoes...

167 posts in this topic

I rule the roost of Sucker Punch loathing. :whee:

BTW, I tried to watch 300 again last night. I got bored at about 1:20 and quit. Spent 4 real dollars on it too. :mad:

Visually, Sucker Punch is amazing. Story-wise, I found it too depressing to be a movie I would watch again completely.

Now on that 300 DVD. :takeit:

Yes Sucker Punch is a tragedy, but you need to focus on general theme that sometimes it takes a group to sacrifice so that one escapes to carry on the message. One does escape - perhaps not the one most deserving, but one who was willing to sacrifice a bit.

Maybe 300 and Sucker Punch aren't that far apart in overall message.

One awesome part of Sucker Punch is how Baby Doll alters her surroundings more and more as the movie progresses,and things become much richer and upscale as she immerses herself, even when she returns to "the reality" of her current situation.

I find Sucker Punch to be very potent with message at so many levels. My wife and I bought our own copy, and are on about our eighth viewing.

I should be going to see this Monday.

I really disliked all 3 Nolan Batman movies...curious what this movie will do for me.

Anyone here dislike the Batman movies and loved Man of Steel?

I really disliked all 3 Nolan Batman movies...curious what this movie will do for me.

Not exactly - I hated the first two Nolan Batmans, so I didn't waste my life watching the latest one. The Superman movies thus far have all sucked, and I don't find the character interesting at all - I don't imagine I'll go, unless one of the kids drags me there.

Not exactly - I hated the first two Nolan Batmans, so I didn't waste my life watching the latest one. The Superman movies thus far have all sucked, and I don't find the character interesting at all - I don't imagine I'll go, unless one of the kids drags me there.

Yeah but you read comics that nobody else likes.

:baiting:

From what I understand, the latest Superman movie has very little to do with the character you don't find interesting, so you should love it.

Yeah but you read comics that nobody else likes.

:baiting:

I wish that were true :( Someday, I might have time to read some comics again :sorry:

From what I understand, the latest Superman movie has very little to do with the character you don't find interesting, so you should love it.

hm

I rule the roost of Sucker Punch loathing. :whee:

BTW, I tried to watch 300 again last night. I got bored at about 1:20 and quit. Spent 4 real dollars on it too. :mad:

Visually, Sucker Punch is amazing. Story-wise, I found it too depressing to be a movie I would watch again completely.

Now on that 300 DVD. :takeit:

Yes Sucker Punch is a tragedy, but you need to focus on general theme that sometimes it takes a group to sacrifice so that one escapes to carry on the message. One does escape - perhaps not the one most deserving, but one who was willing to sacrifice a bit.

Maybe 300 and Sucker Punch aren't that far apart in overall message.

One awesome part of Sucker Punch is how Baby Doll alters her surroundings more and more as the movie progresses,and things become much richer and upscale as she immerses herself, even when she returns to "the reality" of her current situation.

I find Sucker Punch to be very potent with message at so many levels. My wife and I bought our own copy, and are on about our eighth viewing.

The WW I fight scene was amazing (German zombie soldiers), along with the Samurai fight scene. And I know she sacrificed herself for the greater cause. But man did it make me sad at the end.

hm

Maybe I need to revisit this movie.

What!?!? You hated the first two Nolan Batman films but likes Rises better :o I'm the opposite, but enjoyed all three

Guest Grails

Begins and Rises were entertaining but forgettable to me. The Dark Knight though stands as the best comic book flick ever made. Looking forward to MoS today.

Not exactly - I hated the first two Nolan Batmans, so I didn't waste my life watching the latest one.

What!?!? You hated the first two Nolan Batman films but likes Rises better :o I'm the opposite, but enjoyed all three

Re-read what he said -- sounds to me as if he said he skipped seeing "Rises" entirely.

Not exactly - I hated the first two Nolan Batmans, so I didn't waste my life watching the latest one.

Re-read what he said -- sounds to me as if he said he skipped seeing "Rises" entirely.

He did.

Begins and Rises were entertaining but forgettable to me. The Dark Knight though stands as the best comic book flick ever made. Looking forward to MoS today.

Begins is an excellent movie and "beginning" to Batman IMO.

Much better then Burton's "Batman", I could watch Batman Begins again and again.... "Batman", I just fast forward to certain parts.

Much better then Burton's "Batman", I could watch Batman Begins again and again.... "Batman", I just fast forward to certain parts.

Same for me--and I have watched "Begins" probably at least a dozen times--but I didn't enjoy the elevated railcar sequences at the end for some reason, so when re-watching "Begins", I tend to tune out after the AWESOME scene where he reveals his identity to Rachel by repeating her line about "It's not who I am underneath, but what I *do* that defines me." That's the climax of the film for me.

There's a very similar climax towards the end of "Dark Knight" that reminds me directly of that scene because Batman jumps off a roof in exactly the same way and Nolan steps up the score significantly in the exact same way--it's the scene where Batman asks Gordon to give him five minutes to capture the Joker, and Gordon says "Dent is in there with them! We have to save Dent! *I* have to save Dent!"

Hard to disagree. Ledger's performance was amazing. Hard to believe he's been dead for over 5 years now.

Hard to disagree. Ledger's performance was amazing. Hard to believe he's been dead for over 5 years now.

Holy! Has it been 5 years already?

And for me, I love both Batman Begins and Dark Knight. But I am a Batman fan, and especially the stories with villains like Bane, Killer Croc, Black Mask and KGBeast.

Dark Knight Rises was okay for me, as they seemed to play on the plot of Bane being a terrorist. So plot holes and all, it's enjoyable.

+2

By far the best. Ledger and Nolan's collaboration to develop the Joker's insanity made him the most compellingly believable version of the character I've seen to date. I've always found the Joker to be a character completely separate from reality and not at all believable due to all the over-the-top jokey clown versions of him shown through the years, but by taking Moore's ideas about the Joker's motivations from "Killing Joke" and refining them to a degree I never imagined, they turned a character I didn't much like into one that I was completely enthralled by. (worship):popcorn:

Begins is a bit of a boring film. DK is good, but take out the Joker scenes and it's kinda, meh. Rises is a terrific film which I can watch over and over, particularly with the multiple subplots criss-crossing the film.

Begins is a bit of a boring film. DK is good, but take out the Joker scenes and it's kinda, meh. Rises is a terrific film which I can watch over and over, particularly with the multiple subplots criss-crossing the film.

I enjoyed watching Dent's character change in "The Dark Knight." I could point out dozens and dozens other plot and story points that caused me to re-watch it more than any other comic film. It's my favorite movie, period, across all genres. Before that it was "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Saw it the night it came out, first thing the next morning, and three other times in the theatre after that. Simply awesome. :cloud9:

It took what I loved about "Silence of the Lambs"--a compelling maniac--and put it into a fantastic superhero film. Batman isn't my favorite superhero by a longshot and I'm a Marvel zombie, but that film hit me hard. I minored in creative writing in college, and I didn't think an art film guy like Nolan could make such a solid, compelling action-based film with superheroes that excelled at so many elements of both fiction and filmmaking, i.e. the parts of filmmaking the critics hammer Zack Snyder for...Nolan proved me wrong. I was floored. :popcorn: